Why do you think the Alliance is cooler than the Empire?

By ErikB, in General Discussion

Poster: Playing underdog good guys against legions of bad guys is a classic movie & RPG trope which I and my players enjoy.

It tends to be that the legions of bad guys are each individually worse than the relatively few but pure of heart good guys. Being massively outnumbered by bad guys each of which is better at fighting than you is, like, not how the story works.

You know what, smeg it - I got better things to do than waste my Sunday arguing with a smeghead. I'm out, peeps! Have fun storming the castle!

*runs off to update ignore list. . . *

(it's admittedly not like I had high regard for Lewis to begin with!)

Or Lucas, for that matter.

Being massively outnumbered by bad guys each of which is better at fighting than you is, like, not how the story works.

You probably would not enjoy 40kRPGs or World of Darkness...

Stang, I need an ambulance! I'm kriffin' dyin' here...

Is it wrong that I've started imagining Erik's posts in the voice of Ralph Wiggum?

(it's admittedly not like I had high regard for Lewis to begin with!)

Or Lucas, for that matter.

Meh, I think Lucas got lucky. Then he lost faith in his own creation, and had twenty years to undermine his own vision with badly-acted, self-indulgent sequels. I'm grateful to him for the original films, but otherwise... meh.

Just as I've played all the various incarnations of D&D, and while I'm grateful to Gary Gygax for inventing it... I would have never actually wanted to play a game at his table either...

Edited by Maelora

Lmao Ralph Wiggum... I can imagine that; and, scarily enough, picture him sat at his desktop in full Mon Mothma cosplay, foaming ay the mouth because we're not all repeatedly posting "Rebels R Coolz! Empire suxs! Lolrofl!"

I can imagine that; and, scarily enough, picture him sat at his desktop in full Mon Mothma cosplay

Noooooo! Need brain bleach! Cannot unimagine what I have just imagined!

(Thank the gods you didn't say you imagined him in full Slave Leia cosplay...!)

Nah, that's what his teddy bear, Hugsy-Wugsy, wears.

Common people, lets return to geeky things! I know that some of your responses are because you feel offended but no need to continue "personalizing" this.

Pro Jedi, Pro Sith, Pro Rebel, Pro Imp, Pro Justin Bie... well, this not this one XD Everyone of us share one passion that are roleplaying games and a few more Star Wars (a few people want to adapt Edge to their own worlds).

I began to play when I was 7 years old with one of my best friends. I lived a lot of beautiful experieces (and I'm sure that you too) that I want to share with everyone.

I lack of knowledges in some fields and I love to get information from people here, from these forums. Thats one of the best things of internet: learning anything from anyone!

Respect and tollerance sometimes its difficult (sometimes I have problems respecting some ideas too), but even in those cases I use to go against the "idea" not the person itself.

So enjoy of roleplay and be an awesome roleplaying community :D

Take care people!

I like the ragtag feel of their fleet a lot. Also the idependence a rebel campagin allows. You can be anything from a spec ops team or roving fighter squadron up to an independent task force and have it make sense within the setting.

I like the ragtag feel of their fleet a lot. Also the idependence a rebel campagin allows. You can be anything from a spec ops team or roving fighter squadron up to an independent task force and have it make sense within the setting.

You can do that with the Empire too, just by moving away from the line Army/Navy and going with the ISB. They pull in irregular elements through Enforcement, and they have their own Stormtroopers too.

Why play Rebels? Because they are obvious stand ins for the Americans during the American War of Independence.

Beyond that the Empire usurped power and are a totalitarian state replacing a beloved republic. The Alliance against the Empire is likely a loose collection of organized resistance and opposition to the Empire.

Really though, the only reason any of us play Rebels, or neutral scum and villainy, is because FFG has completely misread their audience and not released the Imperial RPG that we all really want.

You can do that with the Empire too, just by moving away from the line Army/Navy and going with the ISB. They pull in irregular elements through Enforcement, and they have their own Stormtroopers too.

True though a roving fighter squad would be hard unless they have the really rare hardware, due to most common Imperial starfighter models lacking hyperdrive unless you drag a carrier or cruiser along or use captured rebel, and captured or purchased Independent or pirate models.

Also not sure if we mean the same thing by task force, flotilla would probably be a better term for what I'm thinking. Typiclly 3 to 5 capital ships with fighter compliments and ground troops, though in one Rebel campagin I saw one with over a dozen corvettes and frigate and a few small cruisers and carriers all loaded with fighters plus its own intel, supply transports, and troop ships. We were basically cut loose and told supply your own needs from now, and do whatever you can within the Alliance's rules of war to damage the Empire and convince the Imperials you are the Alliance's main fleet. I don't see the Empire letting a force loose like that without Vader or someone else very high up running it.

Why play Rebels? Because they are obvious stand ins for the Americans during the American War of Independence.

Beyond that the Empire usurped power and are a totalitarian state replacing a beloved republic. The Alliance against the Empire is likely a loose collection of organized resistance and opposition to the Empire.

Really though, the only reason any of us play Rebels, or neutral scum and villainy, is because FFG has completely misread their audience and not released the Imperial RPG that we all really want.

Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed a few Imperial campagins but I personally enjoy Rebel, pirate, or privateer campagins far more. The most fun I've had with an Imp campagin pretty much the entire party ended up defecting, and the next most fun we were a post endor Imperial Privateer crew. I agree that they should publish something allowing an Imperial campagin but IMO the rebellion should come first. Personally I feel they should have went Rebel, Indy, Jedi in their release order rather then Indy, Rebel, Jedi but its their choice.

As alluded to in another thread, there was the real possibility that people wouldn't have given "Indy" a chance purchasing-wise ( read : no staying power and profitability) had "Indy" been released second.

I personally disagree, given that IMO many of the most Iconic characters in Star Wars Lore are, or at least began as Independents. Also I've been Role-playing Star Wars for more then 20 years and many of my favorite campaigns were either Independent ones, or Privateer campaigns which blur the line between being independent and part of a faction but like I said it was Fantasy Flight Games choice to make not mine.

Also not sure if we mean the same thing by task force, flotilla would probably be a better term for what I'm thinking. Typiclly 3 to 5 capital ships with fighter compliments and ground troops, though in one Rebel campagin I saw one with over a dozen corvettes and frigate and a few small cruisers and carriers all loaded with fighters plus its own intel, supply transports, and troop ships. We were basically cut loose and told supply your own needs from now, and do whatever you can within the Alliance's rules of war to damage the Empire and convince the Imperials you are the Alliance's main fleet. I don't see the Empire letting a force loose like that without Vader or someone else very high up running it.

Well, there seem to be many such individuals in Star Wars. Between Inquisitors and other special agents of the Emperor, it's not hard to justify a special detachment created to accomplish a task, even a nebulous, evolving long-term task.

True I never meant to imply I thought it was impossible to do an Imperial campaign like that. Hell I've ran or been part of similar campaigns as the Galactic Empire (Though that force was restricted to one Oversector), Revan's Sith Empire, the CIS, the Clone Wars and Old Sith Wars era Republic, and was part of a Mandalorian Wars era Mandalorian one until the GM and 3 players were deployed overseas. I still feel the concept suits the rebellion best though. Sorry for any confusion.

Make your sales pitch for why the players would want to fight for the Alliance to Restore the Republic instead of the Galactic Empire.

Then, the Empire starts burning the planet you needed samples from to finish the project. Mix this with the horror of seeing the subject of your religion be so hainously defiled, and you're pretty angry. In response, you send a frustrated letter to the very officer who gave the affirmative on this action, but as you are an Ithorian he not only ignores your letter but also indicts you of sedition with the possibility of treason. You only save yourself by one of your friends risking his life by warning you, and you have to make a hasty retreat in the middle of the night. When you get to your ship, you see that the Empire has already placed guards their. You have to hide away, and must use your knowledge on medicine to make a scant living on a planet put on high alert to search for you. You become a wanted criminal, and come to a miserable existence of fear and poverty.

Then, as you walk through the streets, you see an Imperial caravan. You hide away, fearing being spotted out, but out of nowhere you see a band of lightly armed freedom fighters gun down part of the caravan, and then jump in and get ready to drive off wi the others in hot pursuit. You gain hope, and realize that there is a way to regain the life you lost, and be returned to a just society.

Sounds good to me.

Simple, really: I get very little enjoyment out of roleplaying an Intergalactic Nazi compared to playing the people who kick their butts. Killin' Natsees. :D

@Castlecruncher: Well the opposite goes as well too ... FOR the Empire.

Imagine living at the Edge of the Galaxy, in a system too far away from the Core. Pirates, slavers and other elements frequently pass through, and your home is not really save. The abolition of the central military has left your Planetary Security Forces with only a handful of ships and men.

In order to make live safe and allow a minimum of stability your worlds leaders have turned to a petty warlord and his followers to drive away all those smugglers and pirates that did not work for him. It even worked for a few years. The passing of the law for the free-trade zones newly established in the entire Outer RIm and parts of the Mid Rim is of little use to your planet.

Then several substantial ressource deposits were found on your planet.

Before your warlord could exploit them word got to the mighty Trade Federation and megacorps.

In a matter of days their fleets and additional fleets 'on loan for demonstration purposes' from the various shipwrights pulverize the warlords flottila and the few PSF vessels that were left. All actions to draw the Senates attention to your homeworlds plight are silenced, by bought senators and corrupt politicians. The ressources are now being exploited by megacorporations, and you are 'allowed' to buy the finished products at such high prices you can never afford them.

The Republic has no say on your world or your sector. The Banking Clan and the megacorps rule you and your live as they please ... for their profit.

Then come the Clone Wars. Your new job sees you making droids for the army, with barely any money left at the end of the day to live. And that goes on for years.

Finally the war ends, and order is being restored. Intimidating but powerful new warships roam through your sector to hunt down the last Trade Federation ships, bringing corrupt senators and politicians to justice. Your sector gets assigned it's own military force controlled from distant Coruscant, and the pirates flee to escape Imperial Justice.

You are now free, and your homeplanet is as important and as well protected as every other planet in the Empire.

No Hutts, slavers or other scoundrels. Trade routes are re-established and patrolled by the mighty Star Destroyers. For the first time in centuries it is safe enough to sleep without locking your front door or necessary to carry a blaster/slugthrower with you at all times. Your planet now belongs to the Empire, no longer hanging onto a business mans whims or corrupt Senators wishes.

Your achievements are finally being appreciated, and the new Imperial Navy, the only one for all systems in the Empire, could use a capable young person as you. You are a human, the newly established norm for the galaxy since you are the most numerous. And finally order has been restored after the chaotic last centuries under the weak Republics grasp.

Rejoice, and help to bring law and order to the universe.

@Segara82: Yeah all is well until the day the Empire hears of a conspiracy against it in your hometown (said conspiracy consisting of an 80 year old veteran of the old Warlord military with a blaster rifle older then they are complaining about how much better things were when he or she was young.) and decides to bomb the town and/or send stormtroopers to execute the entire population for sheltering the conspirator.

Which is not standard procedure even in the Empire.

Yes, they have flattened villages, no one denies that. They even once blew up a whole planet.

How often? Once!

How many planets in the EU got a Base Delta Zero treatment? Again, one. Caamas.

Otherwise Mos Eisley would have been a smoldering crater by the time Luke and Ben got there to find a ship.

And they are not Space Nazis.

While they are racists against non-humans they did not errect concentration camps to methologicaly kill them off.

And don't bring up slavery. Several aliens use and/or condone slavery even amongst themselves. I am looking at you Twi'leks, Hutts, Trandoshans, Barbarels and others!

Is the Emperor evil? Without a doubt.

Is the Empire itself evil? Depends on what the people in charge do.

Is every member of the Imperial Navy/Army/Administration evil? Nope.

Is the Old/New Republic really that much better?

Letting control slip and stronger/richer sectors bully the weaker ones is a 'No' in my book.

To quote Sgt. Patrick Harper from Sharpe (TV Series): The freedom to starve is no freedom, Sir.

@segara82 Your story does not involve being an Ithorian. Your argument is invalid.

Also, the Nazis didn't plan to eradicate the Jews at first. They planned to make them slaves to the master race.

And what's the Empire doing? Enslaving those 'dirty aliens to serve the master race, humans.'

Then again, the Empire did bring a better peae and more order than the Republic ever did, so in theory it could work if it wasn't led by a racist scumbag.

EDIT: Darn you, autocorrect!

Edited by Castlecruncher

I don't think Palpatine himself was particularly racist, and the Sith were historically very open-minded about what species joined them. Palpy's master just made the point that the Core Worlds, culturally, believed in human superiority (and also male superiority for the most part) and that Palpatine, as a human, would have the best chance of gaining their support. That and the Old Republic's waning was greatly blamed on mentally-inferior, selfish non-human interests badly affecting the much-more-populous humans. Palpatine just exploited the opinions that were there for his own interest. This is after having a nonhuman apprentice and master, after all.

Edited by Kshatriya