"Edge of Sanity" Lovecraftian One-Shot Adventure...

By BrashFink, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

This was first presented in a different thread when I ran the game, but a some people requested I share it when I was finished. I started a new thread because the old one does not have a subject that would be good for holding the links long term.

This is a Lovecraftian Adventurer in done as a Convention Style game, with Pre-Generated characters, etc. I ran it as a fun diversion for Halloween for my group. If is meant to be a fun one-shot.

This is more of a “Playset” than a published adventure. Use the pieces, put them where you want and send the party in to their doom.

Since this was just notes I slapped together for myself, there are some errors but I will not be updating this. If anything is confusing, or doesn’t make sense, just go with what makes sense to you. You can also post questions here, I will be monitoring this thread.

Be sure to check out the Read Me file that is included. It has some notes from my session on changes you might want to use.

Download Edge of Sanity

NEW LINK: http://dossier.brashfink.com/web_links/edge_of_sanity.zip

Edited by BrashFink
Broken link

That's great man. Thanks for sharing!

I just found this... and I'm really impressed!

Ive wanted FFG to develop its Arkham Horror brand in the RPG direction ever since the StarWars RPG came out. The narrative dice system is perfect for storytelling. Furthermore, they have a lot of brand work already done with a ton of artwork, iconic characters, and their own treatment of the Mythos...

Is it just a matter of time until they do this officially?

I just found this... and I'm really impressed!

Ive wanted FFG to develop its Arkham Horror brand in the RPG direction ever since the StarWars RPG came out. The narrative dice system is perfect for storytelling. Furthermore, they have a lot of brand work already done with a ton of artwork, iconic characters, and their own treatment of the Mythos...

Is it just a matter of time until they do this officially?

I agree that the FF Star Wars rules can work quite well of a Lovecraftian RPG. I don't know if FF has the rights to publish such a game though since Chaosium still has the Call of Cthulhu game; see this link http://catalog.chaosium.com/pages.php?CDpath=29

Just awesome.

Was thinking of using EoE to run Cthulhu...and you've already done it!

This is fantastic, I think I am going to run this for my players.

Hey I thought I would just give this a bump in case some newer people hadn't seen this.

I made this last year for Halloween and took 3 friends through it, they loved it. I was going to make a new edition for this year, but never got it started.

Giving an annual bump.

Fun Halloween One shot for your players. The end was epic when we played... down to the wire, 2 characters killed by the Cellar Thing following round if not a spell was cast to stop it all. My group STILL talks about it.

I am not sure I said the idea behind it... you can run it how you want, but idea is... party is looking for trapped friends. They get trapped themselves inside upon entry. Anyone killed, can be replaced by putting another character in a room. they find, then they become that character.

Concept is, to get out goto Crawlspace on 3rd floor to fight the Tormentor, go then to the tower to find a way out through the cellar.Put the Cellar Thing down there to screw with them on the way out.

Edited by BrashFink

thanks for the bump! looking into it, this looks great! :)

What do the symbols that look like body piercing rings mean on the spell cards? Like elder sign has two of them to add an extra seal and the seal lasts 3 rounds plus "the circle and dot symbol". I can not figure out what you mean. Thanks this looks awesome BTW.

What do the symbols that look like body piercing rings mean on the spell cards? Like elder sign has two of them to add an extra seal and the seal lasts 3 rounds plus "the circle and dot symbol". I can not figure out what you mean. Thanks this looks awesome BTW.

It's the Advantage symbol. It's just hard to tell in the photograph.

Thanks. How do people get spells? I am still a little confused on how to run this. Did you require searches to find Items? Library Aptitude? Would you ever consider doing a basic tips, tricks, and quickie rules summary for this? I know you have already put much work into this and the quality is awesome. Really, thanks for sharing.

Dante, as I said in the main post, "This is more of a “Playset” than a published adventure. Use the pieces, put them where you want and send the party in to their doom."

If I am not mistaken, there are tips and tricks in the read me. I also put some thoughts on things in posts here in the thread.

Do it however you want. I put things in various rooms, in drawers, etc. You can give them random ones at the start, or certain things. Put monsters where you want. If remember correctly (I think I ran this in 2013), I sealed them magically once the came in. They needed something in the attic, that allowed them to get out through the cellar, which lead to the boss fight with the "Cellar Thing". But seriously, run it however you want.

I mostly used search, but I also let the characters do what they wanted. I had one player looking for household stuff to make some kind of chemical bomb/ corrosive bio weapon. I let them go with it.

The ending LITERALLY boss battle, 1 player dead, second combat oriented character would die next turn... and the banishment finished that turn. My players LOVED it.

The ending LITERALLY boss battle, 1 player dead, second combat oriented character would die next turn... and the banishment finished that turn. My players LOVED it.

Did you actually have a dead player, and you didn’t call 911 — after finishing the game? ;)

Ok... Threadomancy here... but I think it deserves... besides, I was only now getting into Lovecraftian Eote and I found out about this.

But *gasp* the dropbox zip is no longer there... can someone share it please?

Many thanks.

P.s.: Any one up to share further experiences with this?

Yikes. Add me to the list of necro-thread resurrectors. The link to the original adventure is dead, and Google is no help. Does anyone still have this knocking about on their hard drive?

Anyone got any idea about where we might find this?

Dropbox ruining the way their public folder worked, breaking the old link. This forced me to spend my money with someone else.

Had a couple PMs asking for the zip, so here is the new link: http://dossier.brashfink.com/web_links/edge_of_sanity.zip

I also edited the first post with the link

Cheers

Edited by BrashFink

So, I was experimenting with a horror game and I did something very similar to your sanity checks. Only in my games we had a system to critical hits that worked off a horror table. Fail with enough threat or despair and you would have to roll on the table. Just like with Crits, low rolls were temporary penalties while higher rolls could cause permanent/semi-permanent issues. Also like crits, they built up over time and if the player ever rolled over 150 they lost their character to insanity. Of course monsters and things also had more fear based attacks and talents similar to the Lethal talent making horror roles more dangerous, etc.

I figured since I was going to steal some of your ideas, you might want to hear about mine. Thanks for the great work.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2014 at 8:39 PM, billw2 said:

I agree that the FF Star Wars rules can work quite well of a Lovecraftian RPG. I don't know if FF has the rights to publish such a game though since Chaosium still has the Call of Cthulhu game; see this link http://catalog.chaosium.com/pages.php?CDpath=29

Everything that Lovecraft published before 1923 is public domain, which is why there is such a glut of Cthulhu themed games. After that is confusing, and Chaosium does have some trademarks on some Cthulhu-related terms, further confusing the issue. Most likely it will stay in the realms of fanworks.

Did a bit of brainstorming yesterday, because I want to use Genesys for our Call of Cthulhu games. Just a few ideas and a quick character sheet I typed out to get started.

Ideas for Call of Cthulhu

5 hours ago, Gallows said:

Did a bit of brainstorming yesterday, because I want to use Genesys for our Call of Cthulhu games. Just a few ideas and a quick character sheet I typed out to get started.

Ideas for Call of Cthulhu

Very cool! I especially like the design. Nicely done.

I think you may be hewing too closely to the COC7e sanity rules in this conversion. It seems like a lot of extra bookkeeping to my eyes, so I would suspect Genesys will give us something much simpler.

For my own conversion (on hold till Genesys comes out) sanity rules work more like Morality: You start with 100, you take Shock by seeing Mythos stuff, by failing Fear checks, etc. Basically, Shock is mechanically similar to Conflict. At the end of the session, you roll a D10 and subtract your total Shock; the result is how much Sanity you lose, minimum 0. That is, Sanity can stay stable (if you roll equal to or higher than your total Shock), but it never goes up.

As for permanent insanity, there might be a parallel system of "Critical Hits" to Sanity; if you roll a Despair on a Fear roll, for instance, you roll on a Critical Insanity table or some such. The results will affect your character until you get psychological treatment. Like regular crits, if you let too many mental crits stack up, you run the risk of going permanently insane (rolling 100+ on the chart).

Finally, as part of your Sanity, you have a Pillar of Strength (an idea I borrowed from Trail of Cthulhu). This is something that keeps you grounded: Your love of country, your Aunt Mathilda, your belief in the Holy Trinity, whatever. On adventures where your Sanity triggers, your Pillar of Strength will be tested by some sort of Mythos horror, and any Sanity loss you take is doubled.

In essence, this version works as an analog to Morality. I like your system, too, but I thought I'd offer the skeleton of an alternative. :)

Edited by SavageBob

Yeah I agree with the sanity stuff and my first idea was to base it on onbligation with a stat range of 0-100. I just settled on the madness tier system, though to have the same number range across the board. I'll review everything once Genesys is released and settle on a system. I wanted to maintain the feeling of a slow descent into madness, which is the reasoning behind the Madness points, that cannot easily be treated. For a character of 3 willpower it means he has 13x4=52 sanity points total. Updated it with a table of weapons as well now. The main idea is just to have a very rough skeleton, that gives enough of a base to improvise if need be.

In relation to the pillar of strength, I am using the investigator background stuff from CoC 7th as well, so I am using those books as well. I did want it to be closer to CoC, just with the Genesys mechanics. I don't want it to become pulpy in any way.

CoC is one of my favorite settings of all times and I'll be running Masks for a new group soon, with the Companion as well and fully pimped out handouts. I'm just adding the stuff here, because I figured I wasn't the only one liking the Mythos and it's great to share ideas.

I was pondering the Talents a lot and wether there should be some, but in the end, I concluded that it would not add anything to the story and might make the game too heroic in nature. The weapons specials are cool enough and work fine, plus the mythos spells (500+ to pick from in the big spell book) adds an extra layer. The only thing I did in regards to talents was to make the Dodge skill work like the defence Talents, since it's needed for combat to work.

Edited by Gallows