"Edge of Sanity" Lovecraftian One-Shot Adventure...

By BrashFink, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Updated the character sheet, so it's possible to write all the information in the pdf and print it out.

6 hours ago, Gallows said:

In relation to the pillar of strength, I am using the investigator background stuff from CoC 7th as well, so I am using those books as well. I did want it to be closer to CoC, just with the Genesys mechanics. I don't want it to become pulpy in any way.

[...]

I was pondering the Talents a lot and wether there should be some, but in the end, I concluded that it would not add anything to the story and might make the game too heroic in nature. The weapons specials are cool enough and work fine, plus the mythos spells (500+ to pick from in the big spell book) adds an extra layer. The only thing I did in regards to talents was to make the Dodge skill work like the defence Talents, since it's needed for combat to work.

Just be careful—I'm not sure Genesys is going to be the right system for a "purist" campaign. I agree you'd need to bar a bunch of talents, but you might also start folks with many fewer XP. Genesys, as far as we can tell so far, is still Star Wars at its heart.

Oh, and the Pillars of Strength idea comes form Trail of Cthulhu, and is not pulpy. It's just a way to measure how characters lose their grip on reality as the things they value are seen to have no real meaning.

Edited by SavageBob

I like the Genesys rules, because they are interresting and allow for more creativity than percentile dice. In the end however the dice and the system are just tools. Genesys is just more fun for us at the table and you get a lot of stuff for free when using the dice, without having to remember specific situational modifiers etc.

I think the approach may end up with custom talents, tailored to each occupation, where most of them won't be combat oriented.

The pillars sound a bit like the idea in CoC where the player picks a single thing from his background that keeps him grounded.

The main principle behind how we want our Cthulhu Genesys rules to be, is to use the core mechanics, while still staying true to the feel of CoC. If not, we would rather play a more generic horror setting, because to us, there is only one way to play Cthulhu and that is with a feeling of dread and seriousness as the main mood. Genesys is a very lethal system and fits very well with CoC in that way. I changed the way dice pools work, so skills are the main component, because that big list of skills is a central component of CoC. Really what we want is not Cthulhu with a pure Genesys system, but more of a hybrid, where all the important aspects of CoC like sanity, lethal combat, skills, occupation, historial accuracy and paying $3.45 for bullets remains true to the feel of CoC. We just want to change the engine, because it's many years since we gave up on percentile systems and we just don't enjoy using it. So that's the challenge for us, the balance of changing the engine, while staying true to CoC. But Genesys is very flexible really; the dice system and talent system can really do anything. The rest of the system is really just standard rpg stuff. :)

Edited by Gallows