Dave Filoni says Stormtroopers suck

By ErikB, in General Discussion

I'm beginning to agree with you, Maelora. Someone of his age couldn't be purposefully flaming so many people without doing so on purpose.

Edited by Shakespearian_Soldier

I'm beginning to agree with you, Maelora. Someone of his age couldn't be purposefully flaming so many people without doing so on purpose.

For ErikB's sake, I hope so. But, having seen his posts since he originally posted as AluminumWolf, I fear he isn't trolling and the once in a while logical posts are when he is doing better. If it's the later (I hope not) I actually feel sorry for the man having seen similar mental health traits in a person before.

I hope he's trolling, but I'm afraid he isn't really...

He isn't. He did this to the 40k RPG as AluminumWolf before being banned. I've tried to point out to FFG that this account, therefore, is used to avoid a ban, and should therefore be banned, but nothing has been done.

I think several of us have pointed this out. You would think FFG would take note and remove the account (again) that causes a vast majority of the dissension here.

Okay, I'm not remotely sure what this "new show" is about, but in terms of canon hierarchy, I think the movies pretty much trump everything, and I would be surprised if the owners of the IP allow a huge retcon like that.

I love how ErikB has pretty much become the poster boy for the Empire by this point. By constantly bashing them at every opportunity, he makes people want to cast them in a positive light, if for no other reason than because it's what he seems to loathe; and by trying to enforce his opinions on people, whilst simultaneously ignoring their objections or opinions, he's one goose-step and a small army away from being a tyrannical, country invading nutcase.

Palpatine would be proud of you Erik. I'm sure he's saluting you right now, from beyond the grave.

You know, many a time I've wanted to go "You know, That Hitler fellow had a point. He wasn't all that bad!" just to counter-troll him, but even I can sink to such a tasteless level for a joke.

You know, many a time I've wanted to go "You know, That Hitler fellow had a point. He wasn't all that bad!" just to counter-troll him, but even I can sink to such a tasteless level for a joke.

In all seriousness, that's kind of the problem with rehabilitating the Empire.

About everyone in the empire being evil and all that nonsense, this study was done post-ww2 to test people's blind obedience to authority figures... simple conclusion: human beings will do what they're told if they think/believe the person telling them has some authority on the issue, regardless of whether that is a fact or not.

About everyone in the empire being evil and all that nonsense, this study was done post-ww2 to test people's blind obedience to authority figures... simple conclusion: human beings will do what they're told if they think/believe the person telling them has some authority on the issue, regardless of whether that is a fact or not.

Imperials who are blindly following authority figures because it didn't occur to them not to who repent and change their ways when this is pointed out to them are entirely fine with me.

Edited by ErikB

http://youtu.be/kkCwFkOZoOY

(seems appropriate)

In all seriousness Hitler actually killed relatives of mine in the 40's, while the Empire provided an interesting bad guy in a FICTIONAL!!! movie.

Constantly comparing the two is in bad taste and an insult to the people (many millions of them) that diedin WWII.

Don't you see that? Don't you get how inappropriate this is?

I don't think coming together to celebrate how our culture can bring down men like Hitler through the medium of science fiction is in any way inappropriate.

Getting too keen on the Empire is inappropriate.

Um, no. Because Star Wars is a work of fiction and World War II was a real event. The two are not comparable.

I don't think coming together to celebrate how our culture can bring down men like Hitler through the medium of science fiction is in any way inappropriate.

Hitler wasn't brought down "through the medium of science fiction"; men LIKE Hilter aren't brought down "through the medium of science fiction".

Hitler, and men like him, was/are brought down through the sacrifice of good, solid men and women who risk everything so that those who can't - or won't - fight can sleep soundly in their beds.

Edited by Shakespearian_Soldier

No, I don't think anyone does. Constantly using my and other people's dead relatives to make a silly point about an rpg is.

I will report all your Godwinning from here on forth.

Men like Hitler are brought down through the sacrifice of good, solid men who risk everything so that those who can't, or won't, fight can sleep soundly in their beds.

Yes, and it is those beings we are coming together to celebrate through the medium of science fiction movies when we watch Star Wars.

(I agree that sentence wasn't entirely clear)

Everyone understood. No-one thought it was appropriate.

Everyone understood. No-one thought it was appropriate.

I agree. It's like when he compares them to Taliban or related groups; it's a stupid comparison, and insults the people who've had their lives destroyed by said groups.

Note that I will be utterly overjoyed to never hear the T-word in relation to Star Wars ever again.

Note that I will be utterly overjoyed to never hear the T-word in relation to Star Wars ever again.

Good.

In all seriousness Hitler actually killed relatives of mine in the 40's, while the Empire provided an interesting bad guy in a FICTIONAL!!! movie.

Constantly comparing the two is in bad taste and an insult to the people (many millions of them) that diedin WWII.

Don't you see that? Don't you get how inappropriate this is?

Report him the mods. It was that sort of commentary that got him banned when he was posting as AluminumWolf.

That, or just add him to your Ignore list, and that way you don't have to see his posts at all.

*Skims through the thread* ......... :huh: ..........

AAAAnyhoo, is anyone worried that the Stormtoopers are going to be watered down in the show. I.E. they'll be making waaay too many appearances and basically be the rebel's punching bag? I'm just upset at Filoni's remarks because this is a good time to introduce more aspects of the Empire to wider audiences and he goes and says Stormtroopers are weak basically. Stupid excuse imho.

Chief: kinda. I just find the "gonzo idiotic, can't hit the broadside of a barn from 5 meters" interpretation of stormtroopers incredibly boring. Same with the whole notion of "the Empire's janitorial subcontractors are EVIL because THEY DERIVE INCOME FROM THE EMPIRE."

Hopefully they're be more potent an enemy than what we're expecting.

I bet we'll see the rebels run away from them time and time again.

Is there something more he said beyond "Not as competent as the clone troopers"? I don't listen to podcasts because it always takes way too long to absorb information that would be faster to read.

Because seriously "not as competent as the clone troopers" doesn't have any relation to being useless. Its a weird dichotomy people are building if that is all he said, because you can still be very competent and not portrayed as competent as the clone troopers were.