Imperial Customs Corvette scratchbuild

By Millennium Falsehood, in X-Wing

The attention to detail in this scratch build is mind blowing. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Very inspiring! Love the overall silhouette of the hull ship and your detailing is a jaw dropper! Keep it up!

Again, thanks! :D

Well, I got all the scribing finished! Well, at least on the upper hull. But that's where most of it is, and I don't think there will be much on the lower hull, other than some panels on the bridge gondola and a few on the sides. I also finished putting all the little tiny chips of styrene plastic on the top of the hull. Now it's starting to look like Star Wars! :D

I also built four of the six double turbolasers. They're not finished, as I still need to detail the sides of the turrets, but they're fully capable of traversing and elevating. I mounted them to the hull with magnets, so if there are rules in the Epic Scale battles for destroyable weapon hardpoints I can keep track of which turrets are destroyed.

Finally, I also created two new armor panels for the forks, and they look great. I was going to make it so that I could exchange clean armor for battle damaged armor, but it seemed like too much of a gimmick, and in a build with gimmicks out the wazoo, I really don't need any more than what I've got. ;)

Anyway, here are the pics:

Of course, obligatory full shot:

DSCN5714_zpsbd5d8713.jpg

Here's a look at the new details. I added a TON of styrene chips to the surface, as well as new greebles to mimic details found on the Imperial class Star Destroyer:

DSCN5709_zpseb6de247.jpg

DSCN5711_zpsfa176dec.jpg

I mentioned new armor panels:

DSCN5710_zps99997444.jpg

And finally, here are the turrets:

DSCN5712_zpsdf5672d4.jpg

"Attention starboard dorsal gun crews! Bandits sighted bearing 021 degrees by 055 degrees, closing!"

DSCN5713_zps0858f96d.jpg

Edited by Millennium Falsehood

It's a lovely looking model, the boarding arms make it look so sleek. I love the detailing on the hull.. what is the dome, a plastic spoon with a line inscribed?

This is just mind-blowing. :o

I'd be happy to own this simply as a show-off model above my fireplace, nevermind to be used in a game of X-Wing!

Awesome work.

Just wait till I get a coat of light gray on it. It'll look fantastic. :)

It's a lovely looking model, the boarding arms make it look so sleek. I love the detailing on the hull.. what is the dome, a plastic spoon with a line inscribed?

Thanks! Those boarding arms really make no sense at all, but they just look too cool . . . :D

The domes were actually a piece of thick styrene plastic cut into a pair of ovals, then ground and hand-shaped into domes. I polished them to roughly the same sheen as the rest of the model so they won't cause any problems under the paint.

I realise it is a little premature but have you thought about what colour you are going to paint it? I am working on my own Imperial Corvette (much simpler than yours) and I am wondering what you are thinking of using... which one of the "50 shades of grey" do you think is best? I do not have an airbrush but was looking at getting some simple spray cans.

I was thinking about Tamiya's "Insignia White (FS27875)" for it. It's actually a cool light gray which looks very Imperial to me, and it comes in a spray can (a bonus as my airbrushes are both out of commission at the moment; one has a seriously stuck needle and the other has a split tip). You can order it here: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFFR2&P=7

You'll probably need to give it a wash though, as it's just this side of white. I'm using it in order to give a similar appearance to the Imperial Star Destroyer, though in the old Star Wars roleplaying game it appeared to be some kind of warm, dark gray, like Dark Gull Gray.

EDIT: That paint might actually be the *other* Insignia White, come to think of it . . . that one is a warm gray tone. Not something I want on an Imperial ship.

Could you use a 2 spray effect.. Slightly Darker shade as an under coat, and then a directional dusting of the lighter shade to pick out the detailing?

I was actually going to preshade with black all the panel lines over the primer using drybrushing, then spray a light coat many times until I get the tone I want. Miniature painting techniques are not really suited to a model this size, so I'll be using my normal painting techniques to give it that Star Wars look. One such technique is to rub the model in steel wool after applying the weathering to give the highlights. It looks better than dusting and gives it realistic wear.

awsome. Sir my hat is truely doffed.

A skill and a talent thats well beyond by capabilities. Enjoying seeing the progress, it's gonna look amazing.

Thanks a lot, you guys. :)

I always appreciate any comments, and you guys really are too kind.

Anyway, before I did anything I decided it was about time I built a stand for this sucker. The front canards are getting loose because I've accidentally set the ship down directly on the table with no support, and the weight was pushing on the joints and making them loosen up, so this was a necessity. I'll be tightening the joints later.

I also got the little styrene chips added to the bottom of the main hull, and when I finished that I decided to detail the two big cutouts on either side of the engines. I know I said I wanted to put secondary engines in there, but the more I thought about it the less enthusiastic I was about it because it just didn't look right in my head. So this ship will only have three big engines. I really can't wait to compare it to the CR-90 model and see the difference in size between the engines.

I also added extra panels around the lower hull to make it match up with the upper hull a bit better.

Here are the pics:

New stand!

DSCN5721_zpsf33df91f.jpg

Someone earlier in the thread requested pics of this model alongside some X-wing miniatures for scale, and I had been meaning to up till this point, but I just kept forgetting, so here is the Corvette next to the Shuttle and TIE Fighter:

DSCN5722_zpsdb4f3ff7.jpg

Here's the new detail on the underside:

DSCN5723_zps4f10530c.jpg

Port side cutout closeup:

DSCN5724_zpsd8e75a8d.jpg

Starboard side cutout closeup:

DSCN5725_zps09ba9031.jpg

And finally here's the new paneling on the lower hull:

DSCN5726_zps162cdd15.jpg

The details around the engines are really great, love all the extra brass piping.

This is amazing, I think it's all of the detail that has been added that really makes this model great.

I'm looking forward to seeing it painted up.

Whew!

:)

Say MF, which Scriber are you using?

Actually, my "scriber" is an eXacto knife run along a ruler, then the sides cleaned up using a rounded scraper. I don't rightly know the brand of the scraper, because I bought it at a convention and they didn't have a brand that I can recall. I've been told it's a quality tool, though.

I use an eXacto knife because I can get perfectly straight lines free-hand if I want just by aligning the blade along the route I wish to take and dragging it along, keeping the near end parallel to the course . . . okay, that's probably hard to understand. Rest assured, it works quite well, mainly because the straightness of the blade itself helps in keeping it on course. :)

absolutely stunning work! loving it!

That good ole "Xactoe" is the real deal alright.

I have a Squadron Scriber, but it is better at say 1 MM lines. Your work is getting on at .5 MM and finer, and that comes by doing what you just described.

Sure nuff.

;)

Killer looking model there, looking forward to seeing it painted. :)

Also got to say that you nailed the scale of it, based on the pic with the Tie and Shuttle

Oh my god.

This is amazing.

You, sir are a master at your craft. As soon as you have this done I'll post this up on our Sci Fi Wargaming Facebook Page, The Black Ocean . Very impressive!

I personally think it looks like crap.

Oh wait, the other thing, the exact opposite.

Are you coming to Worlds? I would love to point my camera at that for a while. Get some really nice pictures.

Actually, I'm not much of a gamer of any sort (which explains why I tend to do rather poorly at this game against dedicated gamers as opposed to casual gamers like myself), so to my embarrassment, I don't know what Worlds is and haven't made any plans.

I have heard of GenCon and plan on taking it there next year when it rolls around, but other than that and Wonderfest I have no plans for it. Besides, I really don't think I'll have the budget for much travel until I get a much better-paying job.

You, sir are a master at your craft. As soon as you have this done I'll post this up on our Sci Fi Wargaming Facebook Page, The Black Ocean . Very impressive!

Thank you! And I would love to see what they think about it when I'm done. :)

wow, just wow!