A bit confused

By WarlockHCP, in General Discussion

In fact esrly indications have the new films being well after GCW , since they have the original cast playing much older versions of themselves (this much has been confirmed), however the plan is also fo release character films inbetween the major releases, ie a film about yoda, another about boba fett.

"How does this game I haven't played interact properly with this game that hasn't come out yet?"

Jeez, people, just give the **** thing a chance before you write things off because the opportunity for your questions to get answers hasn't arisen yet.

Edited by Rikoshi

"How does this game I haven't played interact properly with this game that hasn't come out yet?"

Jeez, people, just give the **** thing a chance before you write things off because the opportunity for your questions to get answers hasn't arisen yet.

It's the internet. People are going to piss, whine, *****, and moan for no reason other than "because." :P :lol:

Or we're here to ask questions and get answers from ppl that might know more than we do about the topic.

If I wanted to moan "because" I'd ***** about the sky being a slightly offer shade of blue than normal.

<_<

On the one hand this "3 Core Rule Books with different Settings/Fluff" thing kind of makes a modicum of sense when you compare it to the original World of Darkness line. I have all of those books and many of the related supplements. I guess I'm just not used to thinking about Star Wars in such a segmented fashion; it's all just a part of what makes up the Star Wars universe.

What I am perturbed about, ever so slightly, is that I had no idea they were planning to do this as 3 Core Rule Books. I didn't know I was going to have a choice. Had I known, I may well have skipped buying EotE until I'd had a chance to look at the other two and decide which one I fancied most (if not all three anyway). I guess I felt like I'd been duped; they got me to buy one book which was basically a must have but which omitted some surprising races and vehicles. Now I find out about AoR and I realize, oh, that's where the rest of the game is. I see what you did there but I'm not terribly keen on it.

That said, the books are beautiful and I couldn't be happier that the system has a strong focus on cinematic style; and no stupid miniatures! That's the best part from my point of view. This new dice mechanic takes some getting used to in the sense that you really have to improvise quickly to interpret the dice results (particularly when a player rolls no successes, no failures, and a bunch of advantage), but that's the sort of challenge that makes GMing fun.

That's "where the rest of the game is" if you were going to be concerned with a military-themed campaign... as it stands, you can already try your hand at playing a FFG SWRPG version of The Far Orbit Project ! :D

That is to say, you're not playing the Alliance military or the Alliance per se , but the rules are pretty much ready to play a Rebel-affiliated/supporting "fringer", smuggler, mercenary, privateer and so on.

What I am perturbed about, ever so slightly, is that I had no idea they were planning to do this as 3 Core Rule Books. I didn't know I was going to have a choice. Had I known, I may well have skipped buying EotE until I'd had a chance to look at the other two and decide which one I fancied most (if not all three anyway). I guess I felt like I'd been duped; they got me to buy one book which was basically a must have but which omitted some surprising races and vehicles. Now I find out about AoR and I realize, oh, that's where the rest of the game is. I see what you did there but I'm not terribly keen on it.

They announced the three-book model right from the beginning. If you missed it, you missed it, but there was never any "duping" or deception on FFG's part.

On the one hand this "3 Core Rule Books with different Settings/Fluff" thing kind of makes a modicum of sense when you compare it to the original World of Darkness line. I have all of those books and many of the related supplements. I guess I'm just not used to thinking about Star Wars in such a segmented fashion; it's all just a part of what makes up the Star Wars universe.

That said, the books are beautiful and I couldn't be happier that the system has a strong focus on cinematic style; and no stupid miniatures! That's the best part from my point of view. This new dice mechanic takes some getting used to in the sense that you really have to improvise quickly to interpret the dice results (particularly when a player rolls no successes, no failures, and a bunch of advantage), but that's the sort of challenge that makes GMing fun.

If you had done the slightest bit of reading before buying you would have known that there would be 3 Core Rule Books. They never hid that fact and they've said it plenty in all of their press releases. It's the first thing I noticed about this system when I first heard of it.

They announced the three-book model right from the beginning. If you missed it, you missed it, but there was never any "duping" or deception on FFG's part.

Exactly. From Day 1 of when the RPG was announced, FFG has said it'd be a three corebook system, with each book being able to be used individually or in tandem with the others. And as others have said, they've made no attempt to hide that fact in the slightest.

As things stand, a person could run games just using the Edge of the Empire material and really not be missing much. Exploring the Unknown shows that at least one of the AoR careers (Driver) is going to also be used for EotE, so it's not a huge stretch to say that other AoR careers will likewise be re-used for EotE careers in upcoming sourcebooks, so you'd get most of that material eventually.

Some of us haven't been here reading about all this since day 1 though. Don't find that so hard to believe guys. I only saw the beginner box by random luck, then read up about EoTE a little while waiting for my group to get around to playing the box set, then happened across a reference to AoR.

Personally, I never said nor felt like FFG was duping me. I did said I didn't know how I felt about their choice of gaming model. There's a huge difference there.

As far as the "Just go try it!" crowd, that's why we got the beginner box. I do fully intend to try it out, I want and need to be certain of this system before I can invest anything else into it. Wife and I have our first little one and have only even been back to gaming for a few months now (whoa ....he's 11 months....****....time's hit hyperspeed).

But all in all this thread has helped me get a better idea on the marketing model as well as the basic layout planning for the system. It's certainly different, still not sure about it of course, but hell new things are rarely all bright shiny and perfect on first look.

For everyone in this thread who is referring to this as some sort of "new" way of doing business for FFG with the release of three core rulebooks that focus on separate parts of the universe but are compatible with one another, take a look at FFG's 40k line. That one has had a very similar business model for the last nearly five years. And as far as I know it's been fairly successful. Sure, they have updated the core rules in each book, but they are essentially the same core rules from book to book. This isn't new, it's just new to Star Wars roleplaying at this point.

It's certainly different, still not sure about it of course, but hell new things are rarely all bright shiny and perfect on first look.

Except it isn't different to a large number of RPGs - it's been a standard model since the late 80s/early 90s.

Personally, I never said nor felt like FFG was duping me. I did said I didn't know how I felt about their choice of gaming model. There's a huge difference there.

Don't think the duping was directed at you.

I guess I felt like I'd been duped; they got me to buy one book which was basically a must have but which omitted some surprising races and vehicles. Now I find out about AoR and I realize, oh, that's where the rest of the game is. I see what you did there but I'm not terribly keen on it.

I think it was directed at this comment and others that have said similar things.

FFG has been up front and very clear on what they are doing and how they are doing it. And not necessarily on these boards. On their site they have been very open with information on the game. In this day and age if you can't find information on something you wish to purchase, you aren't trying hard enough, or at all really.

I came in on this jazz late (maybe April this year?) but I did 5 minutes of research before checking out the beta and found out that all the books were coming out. I mean, it wasn't like they were keeping it a secret XD.

It's certainly different, still not sure about it of course, but hell new things are rarely all bright shiny and perfect on first look.

Except it isn't different to a large number of RPGs - it's been a standard model since the late 80s/early 90s.

Well it's different to what I've been playing then hows that? WotC, and Paizo, and Green Ronin have the same standard core book supplements.

Far as searching,....like i first said I came pretty much straight here. Hell it's taking me 5 minutes just to type this out while wrestling my little one to take a nap. Oh the joys of multitasking. ;)