A bit confused

By WarlockHCP, in General Discussion

The AoR core rule's content, about only 20% will be repeated information. I'm ok with that.

I would have guessed higher without counting pages in EotE. If this is true, I can live with that also.

Keep in mind that is just the Beta.

I like the way FFG have gone about this as it allows them to focus on 3 diferant areas, EofE dose not needs stats for maje capital ships and Imperial army units and specelized military equipment, AoR dose need that

Helps a bit. I guess my sticking point is basically paying for the core rules two-three times. Guess I'm too used to the typical RPG set up with one core rulebook or a gamemaster and player pair of books and then supplements. If there's a difference or expanded rules that's great,....but if its just the first few chapters are pretty much lifted from the EotE then not so great. Maybe offer a trimmed version for players that already own the rules.

Or am I totally misunderstanding the way this system works? At the moment we have the beginier box but haven't given it a go yet do to time.

I asked this before, using the model that Margaret Weis Productions did with their couple Marvel books, you have a core rulebook, and each supplement had an option of just the new stuff, or a deluxe edition with the new stuff along with the core rules reprinted.

Helps a bit. I guess my sticking point is basically paying for the core rules two-three times. Guess I'm too used to the typical RPG set up with one core rulebook or a gamemaster and player pair of books and then supplements. If there's a difference or expanded rules that's great,....but if its just the first few chapters are pretty much lifted from the EotE then not so great. Maybe offer a trimmed version for players that already own the rules.

Or am I totally misunderstanding the way this system works? At the moment we have the beginier box but haven't given it a go yet do to time.

I asked this before, using the model that Margaret Weis Productions did with their couple Marvel books, you have a core rulebook, and each supplement had an option of just the new stuff, or a deluxe edition with the new stuff along with the core rules reprinted.

Most of those books weren't in print for all that long, and I'm not sure if the deluxe ones ever were (I think one version or the other was PDF only).

It'd be entirely impractical to do two different print runs, one with all the rules and the other without, and given they can't do PDFs, that isn't going to happen either.

Edited by MILLANDSON

Honestly this is why AoR has very little interest to me, you're basically paying for a core rules prices for a new fluff book. While expanded ships and their stat blocks are nice, not for full price. This would be off been better severed as a supplement, at a supplement cost.

Not to mention we've all been beaten over the head for the past 30 years with playing as the rebels, I'd of rather seen them go in a different direction. The Galactic Civil War is outdated and been explored already in various rpg systems and games. ToR is much more relevant with the younger generation today, and way more interesting in many people's eyes.

It's probably worth noting that Margaret Weis Productions dropped the Marvel RPG license because they couldn't make enough money selling the game books - even though the system was receiving rave reviews and was very popular.

Not to mention we've all been beaten over the head for the past 30 years with playing as the rebels, I'd of rather seen them go in a different direction. The Galactic Civil War is outdated and been explored already in various rpg systems and games. ToR is much more relevant with the younger generation today, and way more interesting in many people's eyes.

It's not like FFG chose to do it this way without some research. I remember reading that when they were asking, many people stated that their introduction to the Star wars universe came from the Original Trilogy, even to this day. It is the most iconic aspect of Star Wars. You ask any fan and the most iconic characters are still Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo and Chewie, R2-D2 and C-3P0. Sure there are fans of other aspects, The Old Republic, The Force Unleashed, the EU, but still the OT endures. After all their research they decided to get back to basics, the Original Trilogy. Once all three books are out, playing in other eras is simply a matter of changing the dressing. We may even see supplement books at that time to play in those eras.

Honestly this is why AoR has very little interest to me, you're basically paying for a core rules prices for a new fluff book. While expanded ships and their stat blocks are nice, not for full price. This would be off been better severed as a supplement, at a supplement cost.

In \a counter to that I have\friends who have little interest in Edge of the Empire, but are wetting themselves over Age of Rebellion and are over joyed they dont have to buy both books, that this book will be self contained, etc..

horses for courses....

They're two separate core books that use the same game system. Think of them as two different entry points into gaming in the SW universe. They're cross-compatible. They just happen to be build around different focus points. EOTE focuses on the fringe elements, such as bounty hunters, scouts, smugglers, and the like; the types of folks on the edge, trying to make a living for themselves in a rough galaxy overseen by the Empire.

AoR is focused on the war between the Alliance and the Empire, and characters are more meant to be pilots, soldiers, and the like fighting the good fight.

The core rules are repeated between the two books (and presumably will be done so again when Force and Destiny comes out, focusing on the Jedi).

Hope this helps.

How are they compatible? How does that manifest?

How does Han Solo become an alliance officer?

How does the Alliance and it's soldiers deal with the galactic underworld (getting supplies etc)?

They are compatible on the mechanical scale. Meaning that you can use the ships, equipment, new force tree and powers with EotE and vice versa.

• Character options (different careers, specializations, talents)
  • Equipment
  • Vehicles
  • One optional game-specific rule (Obligation vs Duty)
  • Fluff -- lots of fluff!

Well... I don't think Duty or Obligation are actually intended to be optional. It is quite clear from EoE that FFG consider Obligation as a core part of the game, rather than an optional extra. I suspect Duty will be the same. Now, you can just leave Obligation alone, as it can be ignored, but it is considered a core part of the rules.

They are compatible on the mechanical scale. Meaning that you can use the ships, equipment, new force tree and powers with EotE and vice versa.

So how would you create a rebel smuggler, or an alliance spy working in the galactic underworld?

So how would you create a rebel smuggler, or an alliance spy working in the galactic underworld?

Its a matter of the kind of story/adventure you are going to run. No need to use any Han examples. For a rebel smuggler it would be easy as being hired by them, sympathetic to their cause, or just being caught up in the flow unintentionally. The alliance spy has quite a few more options to them in terms of back story as why they would be working in the galactic underworld. The most obvious would be getting forged data/documents that way to information gathering. One would assume that the Hutts do keep a finger on the pulse of whats happening in the Empire.

Its a matter of the kind of story/adventure you are going to run. No need to use any Han examples. For a rebel smuggler it would be easy as being hired by them, sympathetic to their cause, or just being caught up in the flow unintentionally. The alliance spy has quite a few more options to them in terms of back story as why they would be working in the galactic underworld. The most obvious would be getting forged data/documents that way to information gathering. One would assume that the Hutts do keep a finger on the pulse of whats happening in the Empire.

And how does EotE (or AoR) support this?

In what way? The careers and specs of each book are built the same way. Character creation is the same. Characters can choose to have Obligation or Duty or both can be incorporated into one character. If you have access to both books, someone could build a smuggler with Duty in the Rebel Alliance. Or someone could build an Alliance Spy with Obligation undercover in the underworld. Or many other combinations. How is this difficult?

I'm asking how these games, either or both, explicitly allow for the creation of characters allied to the Alliance. Obviously Alliance characters are in the next game. So what options exist for smuggler/fringer/underworld/whatever to work with or for the Alliance. If not in EotE, then what does the AoR book offer?

Of course GM's can make up their own stuff, that's not what I'm talking about or interested in. If i wanted to make my own stuff up I wouldn't need the books at all.

I'm asking how these games, either or both, explicitly allow for the creation of characters allied to the Alliance. Obviously Alliance characters are in the next game. So what options exist for smuggler/fringer/underworld/whatever to work with or for the Alliance. If not in EotE, then what does the AoR book offer?

Of course GM's can make up their own stuff, that's not what I'm talking about or interested in. If i wanted to make my own stuff up I wouldn't need the books at all.

I would think that you build a character and then apply a Duty.

I dunno... 3 $60 core books is less than I have spent on Pathfinder Books when I finally gave up on those. Once they hit those "Ultimate" books, each breaking and unbalancing more than the last, I took a long hard look at what I had spent over the past few years.... That did it for me.I was done.

Paizo said when they created their book it was going to be a bigger, more expensive book ($50), because they were going to have MINOR priced secondary books. These have all been $40... that is not really that cheaper, that is your secondary books going as much as what old books went for.

So far, all of the FFG supliments and adventures announced have a MSRP for $30... and the GM Screen at $20 was a stunning value.

is this even covered in AoR?

Is there nothing in EotE for this? No rebel backgrounds/abilities like 'rebellion contacts' for example?

Is there nothing in EotE for this? No rebel backgrounds/abilities like 'rebellion contacts' for example?

Have you picked up a copy of either yet? I only own the EotE core rules, so I cannot speak for the AoR beta, but it has been stated on other topics that there is no crossover information in the Beta. That said, character creation is identical across both books. The only difference would be the Obligation or Duty ratings that are thematically based upon the book used.

Most of what you are discussing is pure fluff, background, and flavor text. While I will never argue that it is important, it is easily hand waved away from a mechanics standpoint. Build the character you want, and apply the thematic element you wish, or even both of them if it makes sense.

It doesn't seem like a stretch to assume that the cross over stuff isn't in the Beta because the Beta is for Age of Rebellion, not EotE+AoR. Since it'll mainly be flavour, with the only real mechanic being the crossover of Obligation and Duty, it's likely to just be in the final book.

In AoR, you can take a Duty representing what your main goal is. If you work in the seedy underbelly of the galaxy, you could have a duty of Intelligence, if you're using the scum of the galaxy to gain intel, or Tech Procurement if you're trying to get material for the Alliance.

The Duty you take depends on your end-goal.

-EF

It's not like FFG chose to do it this way without some research. I remember reading that when they were asking, many people stated that their introduction to the Star wars universe came from the Original Trilogy, even to this day. It is the most iconic aspect of Star Wars. You ask any fan and the most iconic characters are still Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo and Chewie, R2-D2 and C-3P0. Sure there are fans of other aspects, The Old Republic, The Force Unleashed, the EU, but still the OT endures. After all their research they decided to get back to basics, the Original Trilogy. Once all three books are out, playing in other eras is simply a matter of changing the dressing. We may even see supplement books at that time to play in those eras.

Honestly I think it has everything to do with the simple fact that Lucasfilms/Disney is going to be releasing movies based the events from the GCW in the coming years, and as such they want to cross promote this setting as much as possible to get people into it again. Hell it may have even been a requirement my Lucasarts for FFG to acquire the licence. However I grew up watching the original trilogy on vhs, and loved it, but there are so many more interesting settings for an rpg.

Edited by ramza82

Honestly I think it has everything to do with the simple fact that Lucasfilms/Disney is going to be releasing movies based the events from the GCW in the coming years, and as such they want to cross promote this setting as much as possible to get people into it again. Hell it may have even been a requirement my Lucasarts for FFG to acquire the licence. However I grew up watching the original trilogy on vhs, and loved it, but there are so many more interesting settings for an rpg.

We don't know if the new movies will be about the GCW or not.

It's doubtful the sale had anything to do with it. FFG would have had the license at least a year or so before that went through.