A bit confused

By WarlockHCP, in General Discussion

So I came across this while looking into moving our SAGA game over to the EotE system. My question is reading on the AoR it reads as if it is it's own system, or is this a supplement for EotE with a duplicate copy of the core rules printed in it.

I can't say the idea of buying a $60 core book, repeatedly, appeals at all to me at all. Hoping to get a bit more clarification from you folks.

Thanks!

Edge is Scoundrel based, Age of Rebellion is more military based focused on the Rebellion and perhaps the Empire if I heard right.

I'm wondering the same thing, but I'm hoping the Beta will make it clear if its worth buying since worst case scenario the Beta with the final update will function the same as the Age of Rebellion core rulebook.

I've more problems with the revelation of the Star Wars version of Power Cards or cards representing the talent trees for each career.

3 lots for each career, 8 careers and that's just regarding the Edge of the Empire version!

And they've only announced an Explorer's book and an adventure ignoring the Shadow of a black sun which was a limited run, if it wasn't for Order 66 podcast I might not have bought anything beyond the Edge Beta!

Edited by copperbell

They're two separate core books that use the same game system. Think of them as two different entry points into gaming in the SW universe. They're cross-compatible. They just happen to be build around different focus points. EOTE focuses on the fringe elements, such as bounty hunters, scouts, smugglers, and the like; the types of folks on the edge, trying to make a living for themselves in a rough galaxy overseen by the Empire.

AoR is focused on the war between the Alliance and the Empire, and characters are more meant to be pilots, soldiers, and the like fighting the good fight.

The core rules are repeated between the two books (and presumably will be done so again when Force and Destiny comes out, focusing on the Jedi).

Hope this helps.

Helps a bit. I guess my sticking point is basically paying for the core rules two-three times. Guess I'm too used to the typical RPG set up with one core rulebook or a gamemaster and player pair of books and then supplements. If there's a difference or expanded rules that's great,....but if its just the first few chapters are pretty much lifted from the EotE then not so great. Maybe offer a trimmed version for players that already own the rules.

Or am I totally misunderstanding the way this system works? At the moment we have the beginier box but haven't given it a go yet do to time.

Yes three core books. From the sound of it the the base rules are all the same, except duty replaces obligation and one additional skill (Knowlege -Galactic Civil War) is added.

AoR can certainly be used as a supplement for EotE since it has a bunch of new careers, specializations, vehicles, starships, and adversaries. In addition to the fluff on the Alliance and Empire. AoR can also be used stand alone.

I would have preferred not having three core books, but that ship has sailed.

I also would have preferred not to have three completely different books that replicate a lot of there material but, as you say, that ship has sailed.

The way I understand it, EDGE OF THE EMPIRE, AGE OF REBELLION, and FORCE AND DESTINY basically three separate, stand-alone games (each with their own product line) that use the same mechanics. They are virtually completely compatible, and buying products from one like will supplement your options for the other lines, but each stands alone, so you will find a the majority of "crunch" material replicated from line to line.

It seems like the differences between EotE and AoR are limited to:

• Character options (different careers, specializations, talents)
  • Equipment
  • Vehicles
  • One optional game-specific rule (Obligation vs Duty)
  • Fluff -- lots of fluff!

Helps a bit. I guess my sticking point is basically paying for the core rules two-three times. Guess I'm too used to the typical RPG set up with one core rulebook or a gamemaster and player pair of books and then supplements.

Yes I get your confusion. It looks like if you buy everything, you will end up with a large portion of three expensive books being repeated data. FFG is trying something different here that doesn't sit will with those who end up buying everything a system puts out. If you want only to play in a certain era, it is not an issue. If you love a system and want it all, you are paying for duplicated material. I would have preferred the standard of core rulebook followed by campaign era books.

I've more problems with the revelation of the Star Wars version of Power Cards or cards representing the talent trees for each career.

3 lots for each career, 8 careers and that's just regarding the Edge of the Empire version!

You kind of went on a tangent here. No one is requiring you to buy the cards. The talent trees are printed in the book. Don't like them, don't buy them, you don't need them. Why is it an issue that those that actually like them have another option?

Im guessing that it makes more sense to have the next book as a standalone, thereby maximizing sales, thereby ensuring the continuation of the company and therefor the line. This will probably enhance sales of the supplements, also ensuring the production of future supplements. Look at the magic the gathering model, a 2 year rotation on cards that are legal in tbe standard version of the game which means that to remain competitive withtin thatbsystem you have to have the latest cards. For those that are happy with what they have and play casual there is no need to keep up to date. This thereby ensures that the game will stay supported for years to come. I dont really see this as any different.

Remember prrofit is not a bad word, without it there will be no future support for the product and if this is how they maximize profit, then im willing to buy in. The big question for everyone else , is , is it worth it for you, or are you happy enough with EOTE on its own.

Don't get me wrong,....I'm all for a company making a profit, just not necessarily at the expence of me buying the same rules 2 times.

This might will work to be a very successful model for the company, but to me it just doesn't sit well. Thus far each version of SW RPG since WEG I've purchased every single book. The current ineration's model would make that a bit of a waste in my view. A better idea might be to offer a trimmed version of the other "Core" books with only to new material for a lower cost.

At this point the ship is still awaiting passenger's for me and my group so it'll depend on how much we like the system after trying the beginner game and comparing the books in the store.

Thank you all for replying. I don't have the time to keep up on the forums with every detail so this helps a ton.

It actually worked very well for White Wolf's original World of Darkness series, and Palladium Book's various game lines.

I personally agree that a core rule book and then supplements are friendlier on the pocket book, but most licenses are costly and only give so long to make that back in profits.

Sigh, I already suspect I will be buying it all.

Except the extraneous stuff like talent cards.

The key difference with White Wolf is that they used the same slim core book as the basis for each subsequent separate lines.

Only for the new world of darkness (2004>), not the classic (or old) world of darkness. In those days the core rules where in every core setting again and again.

The key difference with White Wolf is that they used the same slim core book as the basis for each subsequent separate lines.

Only for the new world of darkness (2004>), not the classic (or old) world of darkness. In those days the core rules where in every core setting again and again.

Are you guys trying to make me feel old or something? ;)

True but there was alot of different and new material. Which here's hoping the same pans out for AoR ;)

True but there was alot of different and new material. Which here's hoping the same pans out for AoR ;)

That is what I am hoping for, which may also explain the mostly new races, lots of vehicles left out of EotE, and the other side of force powers. I can't wait to read the beta.

Don't get me wrong,....I'm all for a company making a profit, just not necessarily at the expence of me buying the same rules 2 times.

This might will work to be a very successful model for the company, but to me it just doesn't sit well. Thus far each version of SW RPG since WEG I've purchased every single book. The current ineration's model would make that a bit of a waste in my view. A better idea might be to offer a trimmed version of the other "Core" books with only to new material for a lower cost.

At this point the ship is still awaiting passenger's for me and my group so it'll depend on how much we like the system after trying the beginner game and comparing the books in the store.

Thank you all for replying. I don't have the time to keep up on the forums with every detail so this helps a ton.

It's not like you have to buy both books. Just buy the one with the focus that interests you. If your players like Empire vs Rebellion stuff buy AoR. If they like bounty hunting, smuggler stuff, buy EotE.

I, for one, like that each game is its own core rulebook and I don't have any problem at all with any "repeated" information as far as rules systems go. To me, that just makes it a whole lot easier for mixed game player groups.

If one person is playing a Engineer from Age of Rebellion, another playing a Explorer Fringer from Edge of the Empire and the third player is playing a Jedi from Force & Destiny and each has his or her own rulebook then having all the rules in each book is absolutely perfect and they wouldn't have to share books with anyone else. They can keep their book with them at the table, and if they need to refer to the rules about something, they don't have to ask someone else for the book.

It's great.

Now, them going with a Print on Demand option for Talent tree cards for each Specialization is cool on one hand and sucks on the other. If they had gone with a format that you could buy an entire Career's Specializations set of Cards for 6.95 that would be way more justifiable for me but $6.95 a pop for a single Specialization... that's $21 a Career, x 6 Careers = $120.00 plus to get them all and that's just one book. That doesn't include any cards that could be included for other things from different sourcebooks.

No thanks. I can just photo copy those Talent trees with my photocopier and hand each person playing that Specialization a copy of their Talent Tree and they can mark which ones they have and be done with it.

I dont think its the intention of them that you buy all of them, it does appear to be player driven rather than gm. The whole idea is to give a managable resource for checking rules on talents, from a gms standpoint that many cards would be, to put it mildly,unmanagable.

Remember that POD product is meant to be something that is used so that it is possible to get items that would not normally exist since they would non profitable in your first place. Think of microtransaction models within mmorpg, where you can pay similar amounts of money for an in game costume. Its window dressing, nothing more. As you said its easy enough to print a sheet.

If you also think about it , look at the character sheet under talents it has a page reference so that a gm can just call up a talent from the master list in the core book. If the player has the cards he can just get the player to let the look at the card. If it were intended for the gm it would just be a master set with one for each talent. What I would like to see once all is said and done is a Gm reference guide with a condensed list of tables , talents, The gm kit is excellent for this as it is, but some sort of master referenc guide would be great.

I also would have preferred not to have three completely different books that replicate a lot of there material but, as you say, that ship has sailed.

The way I understand it, EDGE OF THE EMPIRE, AGE OF REBELLION, and FORCE AND DESTINY basically three separate, stand-alone games (each with their own product line) that use the same mechanics. They are virtually completely compatible, and buying products from one like will supplement your options for the other lines, but each stands alone, so you will find a the majority of "crunch" material replicated from line to line.

It seems like the differences between EotE and AoR are limited to:

• Character options (different careers, specializations, talents)
  • Equipment
  • Vehicles
  • One optional game-specific rule (Obligation vs Duty)
  • Fluff -- lots of fluff!

The interesting thing is that from what I've seen, it may be also possible to run a "combined" game where not only do you have both books' content available in the campaign, but both Duty and Obligation can apply (most obvious candidates being former fringers who formally threw in for the Rebellion).

Edited by Chortles

I don't mind that they are essentially repeating rules between the books. Not only does it keep the games compatible, but think of it like this:

When double checking rules, it is far easier to have multiple copies of those rules around the table, especially if not everyone in your play group owns a copy of any core rulebook.

I don't mind that they are essentially repeating rules between the books. Not only does it keep the games compatible, but think of it like this:

When double checking rules, it is far easier to have multiple copies of those rules around the table, especially if not everyone in your play group owns a copy of any core rulebook.

Very true, and why I don't mind repurchasing them too much. Heck, I bought two of the EotE core rules for that very reason. Thankfully my wife and I can indulge in a few areas, but I well remember the days when we couldn't.

I dont think its the intention of them that you buy all of them, it does appear to be player driven rather than gm. The whole idea is to give a managable resource for checking rules on talents, from a gms standpoint that many cards would be, to put it mildly,unmanagable.

Yes, exactly. I'll only be buying the ones I actually need for my character. That's $13.90, which is a far cry from $120. :P

Unfortunately the two I need--pilot and scoundrel--aren't among the first six. I'm a bit surprised they didn't go with Smuggler and Bounty Hunter first. I would have figured those two careers as being the most popular.

After playing several different RPG games, I actually LOVE this system of 3 core books.

Take D&D 3.0, 3.5, or 4.5. While not essential that every player has a players handguide, it's **** handy. So a group of 3 players in D&D will have 3 books player handbooks, along with a DM guide, and a monster manual. That's 5 books.

Now look at this system. The 3 players could each purchase one of the cores. Everyone is covered with enough core books to cover everyone's needs. Sounds like a deal to me!

This game can be played with just 1 core book if you stick to that style of play. Edge is it's own game system with endless possibilities of adventures. You could even incorperate the idea of the rebellion and the empire easily. Age will focus on the rebels, the empire and their struggle...again with endless possibilities. You could make fringe adventures happen from the AoR book.

So basically, you really just need 1 core book. If you are playing on the cheap, just pick 1 you like and stick to it.

The AoR core rule's content, about only 20% will be repeated information. I'm ok with that.

The AoR core rule's content, about only 20% will be repeated information. I'm ok with that.

I would have guessed higher without counting pages in EotE. If this is true, I can live with that also.