Let me buy the book already!

By messythekoala, in General Discussion

Title pretty much says it all. **** summer school and not getting to go too GenCon.

Haha, I've been refreshing that page like a **** madman! I am so pumped for this beta.

It's REALLY ANNOYING that they haven't made this available yet in their store!!!! I get the feeling that we're going to have to wait until next week to be able to order the Beta book!! I honestly feel that I'm being penalized somehow for not being able to make it to Gen Con!! It will probably be available on EBay before Fantasy Flight Games make it available in their store! And what about the Beyond the Rim book? Is that also available at Gen Con and not here?!

Sorry about the small rant, folks. It's just annoying, that's all!

It's REALLY ANNOYING that they haven't made this available yet in their store!!!! I get the feeling that we're going to have to wait until next week to be able to order the Beta book!! I honestly feel that I'm being penalized somehow for not being able to make it to Gen Con!! It will probably be available on EBay before Fantasy Flight Games make it available in their store! And what about the Beyond the Rim book? Is that also available at Gen Con and not here?!

Sorry about the small rant, folks. It's just annoying, that's all!

My understanding is that yes, Beyond the Rim is available at GenCon. Eh, it doesn't make me angry. That's really the draw of these conventions so I can't blame 'em.

Yeah, I shouldn't of let it get to me. I just really want these books!

They'll probably release it on the store after their seminar, or when their guys get back from the convention.

I have a hard time with any marketing strategy that announces a product, has it available for sale at a convention but doesn't offer the option for general purchase, unless the AoR beta will be smaller?

Having a product released at a trade show first and then made available to the general public afterward is fairly standard industry practice. Not just for this industry, either.

It's only a few more days, folks. Just relax.

I'm not sure what impact it would have, but since they know they're selling it both at the Con and online... couldn't they just post dates for both?

Having a product released at a trade show first and then made available to the general public afterward is fairly standard industry practice. Not just for this industry, either.

It probably is for a small publishing industry like RPGs, it's actually not common in other industries.

I'd get it if you had a long lead on the announcement so retailers could get stock and be ready but with them announcing last week and it coming out for Gencon this week they would have been better served if they had taken pre-orders via the website.

It probably is for a small publishing industry like RPGs, it's actually not common in other industries.

I'd get it if you had a long lead on the announcement so retailers could get stock and be ready but with them announcing last week and it coming out for Gencon this week they would have been better served if they had taken pre-orders via the website.

How? They're going to sell out regardless.

How? They're going to sell out regardless.

Well generally you want a pre-order window to work before you finalize print numbers for a product, this way you can track demand and increase your sales without the overhead of secondary reprints or a loss of sales because the stock was sold out and you decided not to reprint.

Edit: Also in general (I don't see this specifically applying to a beta product) if you have a period of time long enough where core fans of your product can pre-order or generate demand through retail channels then you're likely to see an increased demand/orders from those large bulk purchasers which again if it can be done in as few print runs as possible increases your margins.

Edited by Nashable

The beta is meant to be a limited printing, same as the EotE printing. If they are only ever going to do 1 print run, and they know it'll sell out regardless (completely ignoring the fact you'd have to preorder the book months in advance for it to influence the print run in any way at all), why would they bother with pre-orders?

D20radio have tweeted (from GenCon I assume) that the beta will be in shops within 2 weeks.

Yeah wasn't it last year that the store was able to take orders shortly after they released the beta at GenCon? I could have sworn that when they announced the game and handed out all those books last year I could log onto the website and the book was available to be ordered.

Plus if the book will be in stores within 2 weeks than shouldn't we be able to order this from their website NOW!?

Currently Alliance, a major distributor, doesn't even show it as available for pre-order. This means you probably shouldn't expect it on store shelves next week.

From Twitter

@gmdave: @d20radio FFG Age of Rebellion beta available in stores within 2 weeks. Beta period extended to Nov. 15.

For us poor students on the other side of the Atlantic it would be really, really sad if someone broke copyright laws and posted the beta on the internet. That would be so sad.

I'd rather you didn't barefacedly ask for pirated copies on the forum. It's disrespectful to the people who worked on it.

I have a hard time with any marketing strategy that announces a product, has it available for sale at a convention but doesn't offer the option for general purchase, unless the AoR beta will be smaller?

This annoyed me greatly with Dungeon World. Kickstarter exclusive my @ss.

Edited by Keeop

For us poor students on the other side of the Atlantic it would be really, really sad if someone broke copyright laws and posted the beta on the internet. That would be so sad.

four nights of drinking money and the book is yours! all students have drinking money. ;D

I'd rather you didn't barefacedly ask for pirated copies on the forum. It's disrespectful to the people who worked on it.

Agreed but it does shown insight into how the modern consumer works. With the book being in the wild for any extended time without people being able to make legit pre-orders it pushes people towards these bad options.

Look at Game of Thrones, one of the highest pirated TV-Shows because HBO distribution model puts it in certain territories (e.g. New Zealand) a year later than it's US screening.

Anyway before someone misconstrues this as an apology for pirates, it's not. Also FFG have their plan in place and some posts on the forum won't change that so I guess we'll see if/when the book is up on the FFG site.

From Twitter

@gmdave: @d20radio FFG Age of Rebellion beta available in stores within 2 weeks. Beta period extended to Nov. 15.

Edit: Totally unnecessary of me to write this, and also the last.

Edited by Poseur

four nights of drinking money and the book is yours! all students have drinking money. ;D

Shipment to Sweden and with Swedish taxation on alcohol those 30 bucks is maybe 1 night out, and forget about going out to dance or someplace else to drink.

And btw no not all students have drinking money, last time I spent money on alcohol was midsummer eve. Without income and rent and other bills to pay, that is money you don't have as a student.

I'm also glad they've extended the beta period. It shows they're truly looking for good feedback, and not just trying to sell beta books.