Specialization Decks?

By Desslok, in Star Wars Roleplaying Specialization and Adversary Decks

I opted to purchase 1 of these decks, the Fringer. As a trial of sorts. I want to try it out and make

an observation on the effectiveness of the cards. Will they help? Will they hinder me in the flow

of my gaming experience? I'm somewhat an optimist... I won't get all the different cards there are

or will be. I don't plan on playing every single class in the game. As I like to stay focused on a

single character. Who knows what the future may provide for me in this game. None the less, to

try a spec deck out.. hmmm.. could have benefits more than none at all.

My big issues with this is that they spent resources (time,development) to put these out that could have been used to get the AOR beta or beyond the rim out earlier or at least have them up on the web store sooner then 2 weeks.

My big issues with this is that they spent resources (time,development) to put these out that could have been used to get the AOR beta or beyond the rim out earlier or at least have them up on the web store sooner then 2 weeks.

Oh pishaw - it's not like they needed to write copy or develop new artwork. They could have had an intern with good photoshop skills knock these out in an afternoon. Hardly a huge drain on the FFG resources.

I prefer keep my money to buy more dice.

It would be better in a regular extension, with all cards included, at a fairer price (POD is by definition expensive because it´s on demand.

Edited by willmanx

Hmm... forgive my stubbornness and the not knowing... spec decks show they can use "Fantasy Flight Card Sleeves -=1=-". When I try to do a cross-reference with FFGs card sleeves, I see no # or even a "... can be used with SW:EotE Specialization decks".

Looking for a little guidance and no trolling or flamers (if preventable).. thanks!

Edited by Xavant

My friend has a deck of the spec cards and they were the same size as a regular FFG card. I assume it'll fit a standard card sleeve. Maybe FFG hasn't had a chance to update the description.

Hmm... forgive my stubbornness and the not knowing... spec decks show they can use "Fantasy Flight Card Sleeves -=1=-". When I try to do a cross-reference with FFGs card sleeves, I see no # or even a "... can be used with SW:EotE Specialization decks".

Looking for a little guidance and no trolling or flamers (if preventable).. thanks!

I could be totally wrong here, but I think the "1" indicates you need one pack of sleeves to accommodate all the cards in a deck. The color of the bar is which sleeve is a compatible size.

I think its just something special for players to have more then anything else.

I havent RPG gamed in years. But back when I did, a game company would put out all kinds of odds and ends for their games. I remember the Westend Star Wars had all sorts of little nicknacks for use with the game. Like themed dice and such.

I think, cant remember now, that D&D at one point had everything from themed dice for specific classes to special clipboards for holding character sheets.

Yah it maybe an extra moneygrab for FFG. But at least its one that is useful for some players. And not some "Must have or you cant play the game" thing.

the OP mentions adventure cards kind of like the Pathfinder: Adventure Card Game. A Star Wars setting in a game like that would be so awesome.

Edited by JetBlackPanda

I like the look of these and I could see them being useful. But the price is just a little too high for me. They're £5.99 in the UK (so that's ten dollars to some of you). And that's for... 20 playing cards per pack? It's expensive. If they at least did discounted bundles I might go for it. I also can't see partially using them - you'd want a deck for every specialization that a PC had. And if the idea is a player holds onto them, you want duplicates for where multiple players have them. Five players at two specializations each is £60 (about $97). Nice, but not unless they get cheaper, for me.

Maybe I missed it, but do the spec decks have a card showing the actual spec tree?