Specialization Decks?

By Desslok, in Star Wars Roleplaying Specialization and Adversary Decks

Assuming that pdf is still not an option, if they would have instead put the Talent Trees in a staple-bound book for easy photocopying I'd be quick to buy that up.Too bad that wasn't included in the GM Screen.

That picture of Brace with the Stormtrooper looks pretty sweet, though! Haven't seen that in the book.

On the "Lethal Blow" it's interesting to see a Battle Droid that must've survived... until the moment the card depicts. He would be an antique.

waste of money IMHO.

Just like Spell cards for D&D they are not needed.

Picked up all 6 this afternoon at GenCon. Love 'em. High quality, nice artwork, totally not necessary. Nice little add on can see myself bring the handful of cards relevant to my character to my next round for "quick reference". Would love to see more of this for other parts of the book as well.

Picked up all 6 this afternoon at GenCon. Love 'em. High quality, nice artwork, totally not necessary. Nice little add on can see myself bring the handful of cards relevant to my character to my next round for "quick reference". Would love to see more of this for other parts of the book as well.

What's on the back of the card? Is it blank or is there some sort of text or artwork?

Okay, I don't play Edge of Empire, but I'm thinking about purchasing the Scout and Bodyguard decks for the art alone. I mean gands and trandoshans? HOW COOL!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure I represent a small group of people that like this idea. I'm blind and ise a text reader and seeing me trying to use this big hardback book in it is funny to watch (so I'd love a pdf but that's another story). I could use these cards a lot more easily.

Being kinda new to roleplaying games, how long do veteran players generally take to know their own talents by heart? If I'm going to know it just based on playing, The cards might be a temporary benefit. $7 isn't a lot of money but I still have to pick my battles for when I'm going to ask my parents for money :P

Edited by PrettyHaley

$7 for ONE spec seems way overpriced. I think I'll pass.

I have a copier at home, making a photocopy of the Talent page from the core rulebook is more than sufficient. And, you can feel comfortable writing on it.

I will grab the two that I am speced in at this point and go from there. If they don't seem to work out to my liking then I will just call it an investment in art. I like shiny bits!

This is definitely a bone for those of us that came over from WFRP 3rd. I am really impressed with EoE, but I miss the cards from Warhammer, so this is right up my alley. That said, this is super expensive. Getting all 19 would cost about $120, and that is just for the core book specs and talents. Definitely targeted at players, and not perma GMs like me...

It's interesting to see that if a tree has a talent listed more than once then you get more than one copy of the same card, and as the talents appear in multiple specs then you would end up with umpteen copies of the same card if you bought them all.

(I know that you don't need them all but I am an RPG'er and a Star Wars fan, which by definition means I have to have it all!!!)

Unfortunately this will be one product that I will have to pass on, which is a real shame as the art looks awesome.

This looks like a great product for new players and rpg dabblers. Of course it would be foolish for GMs to buy them all, but a player with some spare pocket money might really enjoy having these for his character.

And yes, bring on the adversary decks!

I'm a pretty big fan-boy, and like to have every book there is. That said, these look like a big ol waste of money to me. None of the talents are that complicated, a brief note on a character sheet seems sufficient. If I need more information, that's what the book is for.

You said it brother. I've been locked in on everything so far, even going so far as to get gouged on eBay for a free RPG day book I just "had to have".

The money isn't really the point either. Central to the whole specialization thing is that you can take multiple specializations. Many of these talents occur in more than one tree. If each of these talents is weaved into a complex flow chart, with dependcies and dependants, how does breaking those links help at all? Plus, these things are not consumables, they're permanent additions to your character.

Maybe I'm missing something here. In what way are these cards not a worse way to keep track of things than recording the information on a sheet, printing out the chart, or just about any other method? Even a player who doesn't own a book can simply look this stuff up on the Internet and get a chart.

I love to collect this stuff. And yes, I love the artwork too. This is different. This is...

It's anti-product.

Collecting this would be like collecting baseball cards that gave you the team's name, but not the player's or the photo.

It's print on demand, so I guess it not total lunacy.

Again I could be missing something here. If you've got some insight here, help me out.

EDIT: Removed some stuff that was too caustic. I was dead tired when I wrote this.

Edited by Zychon

Again I could be missing something here. If you've got some insight here, help me out.

One thought, dunno how useful, but imagine a gaming group of cash-strapped players. They pool their resources to buy one core book, and have enough to buy the specialization decks for their specific characters. Granted, yes, they could print off any number of homebrew and fanmade resources online, but for $7ish, they can get an official product that contains useful information for their characters.

Yeah, seven dollars is not too expensive. I want to be clear here that I don't think this is a crude attempt to grab money. I hinted at that before but it was really just a snide jab I put in there when I was tired and grumpy (that I have since taken out). I'm just really genuinely at a loss as to how this thing does what they state it does.

In your example, imagine that a player later wants a skill that is part of another specialization that nobody has. You've got to then buy that deck.

Okay, say you're shopping for talents, or even careers for that matter. The chart on p. 59 shows the assassin tree. It shows you all of the dependencies and dependant talents. You can see if there are any more tiers of the skill and what they cost. You don't even have to look at the cost, because you can tell that by a talents position on the chart.

Maybe you want to check other specialization trees--even in other careers--to see if they have another rank of that talent you can pick up, or even a complimentary talent. You can browse the trees, or just move to chapter IV, and look at the full description of the talent and every specialization that has it .

Okay, now what about talents that you've already selected? Here again, the info is better off on your character sheet. Just write it down. Not enough space? Write on the back. The information better serves you when it is next to the other relevant information about your character, and you don't have to worry about losing the loose card that is now separated from the rest. The card is just something else to carry and keep track of. If you buy more than one deck, you've got to worry about keeping them all separated, otherwise you've got to do that whenever you go hunting for a card.

It's different in a card game, where each card is sort of a self contained rule, and where there are hands and draw piles and shuffling. Or even for "spell cards" or "item cards" where the things might be swapped out or sold. In the case of the talents though, a large part of what gives the data value is it's relationship to other information. Putting the data on cards only fragments the information.

If I show you a pie chart, that's information. But if I show you only one slice? Data? -Yes. Information? -No. You could divide the whole core rule book into individual slices of rules, and then print that out on cards. Would that be useful? It's better to have all the interdependent and related data arranged in sections, and to have those sections collected together in one thing that covers a given subject. ... That's what a book is!

Okay, back to back reductio ad absurdum tells me I'm way past beating a dead horse here, but I have literally not stopped thinking about a way that these cards might be useful since I read about them, and have come up with nothing.

Cheers! :D

Edited by Zychon

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

FFG, they cannot resist the temptation...cards, tokens, more cards, more tokens...

give me money give me money!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

FFG, they cannot resist the temptation...cards, tokens, more cards, more tokens...

Well yeah, that is what a company does. ;) I just have to be a smart gamer and decide what does and does not work for me. I do think that the price point is a bit high for the quantity of cards offered per pack though.

Too expensive. A whole standard extension with everything at a regular price would seduce me to pimp the game. Here i'd rather buy more dice packs

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

You do realize that it's not a mandatory purchase, right? That you are under no obligation whatsoever to enter into a transaction with FFG for these items. You don't like them, don't buy them - problem sorted.

Yes some of this does come off as, "Waaahh they are offering something I don't like that I don't have to buy that others might like".

From a player perspective, some of these would be useful for easy visual tracking of use/availability of once-per-encounter and once-per-session Talents. There's also the tactile satisfaction that comes with throwing down cards to show where your action mods are coming from. For a game I play regularly and enjoy, dropping $7-14 to enhance the fun in this way is a non-issue.

From a GM perspective, it's nice if my players have these at the table but definitely not necessary. More useful for me in the GM role would be an Action/Maneuver deck with multiples of each card so I can visually track what all the NPCs are doing at a glance during large/complex encounters. As a GM I'd splurge $7-14 for art card versions of that.

Anyone on a budget can just make their own play aids like this. FFG is simply giving us the option to choose Shiny instead of DIY.

You do realize that it's not a mandatory purchase, right? That you are under no obligation whatsoever to enter into a transaction with FFG for these items. You don't like them, don't buy them - problem sorted.

That is a ridiculous question, I hope you realise.

I did not say I don't like them, I just find it funny (therefore the "ha ha ha") the "eagerness" that FFG shows to release cards to support some of their rpgs (or may be it is just Jay Little's initiative). I am neither against it, unless it takes away the direction of the developers team (which I doubt) to create good supplements for the game, which is what I want.

Talent cards, enemy cards, equipment cards, vehicle cards...all this I can do myself with a few minutes of my time and 1.5 euro (cost of colour printing both sides a cardboard A4 paper). Therefore I won't buy them for those prices, but I am not against it.

Cheers,

Yepes

As cool as this product is, I can see why people are frustrated. Specialization talents can easily be done at home. I think people would like the purchasing options that are difficult to make at home. I for one don't have the time or patience to make maps or tiles for maps.

While I think this is a great idea for some players, the thing that finally did me in on Warhammer 3e was the cards. I loved the idea at first, until basically EVERYTHING required a card and there just wasn't enough space/cards for everything.

This will be great for players, but I'll be passing on them as a GM.