So what the heck are we calling this system anyhow?

By Zychon, in General Discussion

I'm telling NARDS is the way to go.. "I'm playing Star Wars NARDS with my friends tonight!"

FFG SWRP

I second.

BUT it stands for Star Wars Role Playing. Which system is that? There are four that I can think of. That is a fine term here at this forum. But if you go over to a general Star Wars RPG forum, they are going to have to ask you which system you are talking about. They will know what you mean when you say Star Wars Saga, Star Wars d6, Star Wars d20, etc. When you say Star Wars RP, they will ask which one?

FFG SWRP

Another thought is to use a Star Wars-y code name for the system, something like "Gundark" or "Utinni". That'd be fine if all the system is used for is for some form of SW, but if FFG has any thoughts of using the system for another setting or IP (Star Trek, Stargate, X-Files, anything that requires a more narrative game play) then something not-SW specific would be better.

An X-Files game running this system would rock my entire world, man.

I wouldn't complain about that at all. I could really get into that, or adapting it to Fringe or something like that. Or take the Alternity setting Dark*Matter and use that setting with this system. That would be amazing.

I vote for WCIPaJ N (Why Can't I Play a Jedi NOW??? )

(ducks thrown shoes :D )

I don't use shoes... I use Force Lighting. Better run... *lighting crackles between finger tips*

:D

FFG SWRP

Aye. WEG Star Wars, WotC Star Wars or FFG Star Wars.

Edited by ErikB

The simplest response would be FFG SWN for star wars narrative. If your a gamer, you know FFG made Star Wars the Card game and the RPG. So N would suffice to differentiate the two.

Well on a second though, SWRPN would work better, star wars role-playing narrative. There is no other narrative system, and after considering calling the card game SWLCG. SWRPN works for me, my 2 cents..

At that why not just SWN Star Wars Narrative

I'm all for shorter acronyms.

I mentioned above NSW (Narrative Star Wars) as it begins with the defining feature and leaves the possibility of later games using this same naming system like say

NW (Narrative Warhammer)

N40K (narrative 40K)

NF (Narrative Firefly)

NST (Narrative Star Trek)

NME (Narrative Middle Earth)

Me and my Friends just refer to the System as Edge. One of my friends is even converting the "Edge System" weapons and gear into a WWI campaign. Although I have no clue what we're gnna call AoR or F&D.

How about [star Wars Edge]? Has a good ring to it. I know there will be expansions, but ya [Edge System] probably works for all

Edited by Valketh

How about "Triumph and Despair System." TaDS.

If nothing else, it would make a pretty good title for a metal album.

The simplest response would be FFG SWN for star wars narrative. If your a gamer, you know FFG made Star Wars the Card game and the RPG. So N would suffice to differentiate the two.

Well on a second though, SWRPN would work better, star wars role-playing narrative. There is no other narrative system, and after considering calling the card game SWLCG. SWRPN works for me, my 2 cents..

At that why not just SWN Star Wars Narrative

I'm all for shorter acronyms.

I mentioned above NSW (Narrative Star Wars) as it begins with the defining feature and leaves the possibility of later games using this same naming system like say

NW (Narrative Warhammer)

N40K (narrative 40K)

NF (Narrative Firefly)

NST (Narrative Star Trek)

NME (Narrative Middle Earth)

Like. Eaiser to type then my dN.

SWN is better than NSW...too close to NSFW in my opinion.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

So pronouced...Swin? That could work. Just like the World of Darkness is Wod.

Lol if we go SWN we could do SWNG Star Wars Narrative Game aka "Swing"... also do people pronounce Wod like "wad" of gum?

I guess you might think of NSFW in NSW but N* is a nice descriptor, like how we slap d on the front of many systems (d6 d20 dx etc)

also written out it's better:

"I'm playing Narrative Star Wars (NSW) " makes more sense than "I'm playing Star Wars Narrative (SWN) "

As such I prefer NSW

If this is SWN (Swin), then Warhammer using the nearly same system is WHN (Win). If you add "Game" to the end they become SWiNG and WHiNG. :) I'm actually not worried about the pronunctiation of the acronym itself. The acronym is for written/typed speech to make it shorter. When I'm talking to someone I'm just going to say Star Wars Narrative or Warhammer Narrative, etc, unless I somehow find myself in a speed round discussion regarding Star Wars RPGs.

Edited by Sturn

Lol if we go SWN we could do SWNG Star Wars Narrative Game aka "Swing"... also do people pronounce Wod like "wad" of gum?

I guess you might think of NSFW in NSW but N* is a nice descriptor, like how we slap d on the front of many systems (d6 d20 dx etc)

also written out it's better:

"I'm playing Narrative Star Wars (NSW) " makes more sense than "I'm playing Star Wars Narrative (SWN) "

As such I prefer NSW

If they are using terms like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (WFRP), then going with Star Wars Narrative Roleplay (SWNRP) might be OK. Not putting something like "roleplay/roleplaying game" in the title seems off to me.

If they are using terms like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (WFRP), then going with Star Wars Narrative Roleplay (SWNRP) might be OK. Not putting something like "roleplay/roleplaying game" in the title seems off to me.

Doesn't the Narrative part of it indicate it's the RPG, and not the card game, boardgame, or something else? We refer to other Star Wars RPGs as SW d6, SW d20, and SW Saga, without including RPG. The system is being included in this names. So, if you include this new system (Narrative) in the name then you obviously mean the RPG, not something else.

I kinda like the dNar or dN concept, but how about squishing it together and calling it the Dare System?

Like D-narrative, but shorter, and spelled in a way that preserves the pronunciation (as opposed to the Darr System which is a bit too nonsensical for my taste).

At Gen Con a friend of mine jokingly wanted to call it dCustom, or dCustSW. Heh

Star Wars powered by NarDS (narrative dice system) by fantasy flight games.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

I've taken to using SWFFG at this point. Probably won't catch on, but it gets the point across.

We should call it "Fancy Dice", because that is what the game requires.

Edited by XNtr3k

We should call it "Fancy Dice", because that is what the game requires.

Nah, too easy to confuse it with FATE, DCC RPG, or any of the other games that use fancy dice.

I think "FFG Star Wars" is the one that's going to catch on. I don't think that the "narrative" part is going to get much traction, because people are either unaware of what "narrative" means in the context of RPGs, or are aware that this system isn't really particularly "narrative" by modern RPG standards.

I've taken to using SWFFG at this point. Probably won't catch on, but it gets the point across.

I prefer the opposite FFGSW or FFGSWRP.

While reading the AOR beta, I'm reminded that the custom dice are referred to as task dice. The Task System...?

While reading the AOR beta, I'm reminded that the custom dice are referred to as task dice. The Task System...?

That could apply to many, many RPGs. I think the term, "task system", at least dates back to Classic Traveller or at least 2300 AD.