So what the heck are we calling this system anyhow?

By Zychon, in General Discussion

Saw this discussion dispersed amongst other topics, but I think this deserves its own thread -particularly since we're close to our second installment. Is it "Star Wars Roleplaying" as it looks to be? That's fine for the publisher, but it seems too vague for the community. I get the feeling that community made content like blogs and podcasts will have to prepend everything with the publisher's name.

"This vehicle is slightly different in Fantasy Flight Games' Star Wars Roleplaying System"

That's a bit tedious, and FFG:SWR 'aint no better.

I guess "Star Wars Roleplaying" could stick, but I think that will confuse people. I've seen FFGN too, but as fun as it is to say, "Figgin" sounds off-putting.

Anyone have any suggestions? Bear in mind, I'm suggesting an shortened community nickname for the system, not a change in the official published name.

I'm always tempted to call Edge of the Empire "EoE" instead of the more accepted and logical "EotE". Ee-Oh-Ee rolls off the tongue better, but -most importantly, "EoE" kinda looks like a TIE fighter!

...mmmrrrRRROOOOOAAAAAAWWWWWRRRRwwwwwrrrr!

Well earlier iterations are dubbed WEG/D6, d20 (often differentiated between OCR and RCR) and SE - from what I understand.

I think that specifying which FFG game referred to will carry on at least until F&D is released. I think that FFGSWRPG might appear, its long though. FFGSW is shorter. Who knows. Let's see what the community comes up with. You never know, it might just stay with game referrals rather than system or group of games.

I would steer away from EotE since that is referring to just one part of the overall system.

Many have been calling this new narrative system developed by FFG as just that, FFG's narrative system. That started back when Warhammer was released. I would hope that any term for Star Wars which uses a new version of this system, would also have the term, "narrative". The dice are also extremely important to this system.

Why can't we drop the "FFG"? I know FFG would hate that, but in some of the examples above the company name is not used. For example, we call it "d20" not the "WotC System". So why not something based on the narrative Star Wars RPG? Or the narrative dice Star Wars RPG since the dice are so essential to the system. How about simply "dN" for this narrative system using special dice?

That was a round about way of getting to that, sorry for my thought dump. Warhammer dN and Star Wars or SWdN is simple to type and descriptive.

How about something without an acronym. I may just be becoming a little bit of curmudgeon when it comes down to most people abbreviating everything.

The system for X-wing is called "flightpath", so why not "the chronicle system"?

Narrative Star Wars? N Star Wars? or as you say SWdN... why not SWN and NSW, the d isn't necessary is it? Narrative dice Star Wars? Narrative system Star Wars? I think, due to how Little and Stewart and all of them always emphasise Narrative , that we should call it Nd or just N rather than dN, but of course this is details ... and who knows. It might not catch on :ph34r:

I still think people will refer to the game they prefer/are playing, so people preferring/playing EotE will refer to that, and refer to AoR if something is borrowed from there, and vice versa.

I think, since Samophlange posted before I got to click post, that going for a non-acronym is a great idea (although any name will be acronymified, its just to be expected). Chronicle is a good idea, I think "Narrative system" or "Narration system" works too...

I think, since Samophlange posted before I got to click post, that going for a non-acronym is a great idea (although any name will be acronymified, its just to be expected). Chronicle is a good idea, I think "Narrative system" or "Narration system" works too...

When I actually SPEAK to someone about this system I've used the term, "narrative". But, when typing many of us would rather type a short acronym then something longer. When we are speaking specifically of Edge of the Empire or Age of Rebellion, we are already typing EotE and AoR. So even if we start calling the total system narrative or chronicle, it's gonna get shortened whether we like it or not.

dNar. So you can say, "Sorry guys I'm going to be late for dNar tonight". :)

Me and my Friends just refer to the System as Edge. One of my friends is even converting the "Edge System" weapons and gear into a WWI campaign. Although I have no clue what we're gnna call AoR or F&D.

DNAAAR!

I like Star Wars Roleplay (SWRP).

I think we should call it the EOTEAORF&D system. That way we don't leave anything out.

D-Narrative isn't bad. D-Narr (pronounced D-Nare) is ok. DN sounds off. SWRP could honestly refer to any of the older systems too.

After sitting here for 10 minutes and repeating these names over and over (anyone listening probably thinks I'm having a stroke), I'd say the Dnarr or Dnare are the best. We could just write it as DN or Dn but say it as Dnar or Dnare.

I think we should call it the EOTEAORF&D system. That way we don't leave anything out.

D-Narrative isn't bad. D-Narr (pronounced D-Nare) is ok. DN sounds off. SWRP could honestly refer to any of the older systems too.

After sitting here for 10 minutes and repeating these names over and over (anyone listening probably thinks I'm having a stroke), I'd say the Dnarr or Dnare are the best. We could just write it as DN or Dn but say it as Dnar or Dnare.

My joke was suggesting pronouncing it as "dinner", but your suggestion of "d-nare" is of course better since the "nar" part is derived from "narrative".

I suggested dN versus DN because of the relation to past systems called d6 or d20. It's a dice-based narrative system where the dice, like the d6 of WEG and d20 of WotC, are the basis of the entire system. It is only slightly easier to type DN versus dN.

I've also been wondering about this, and am disappointed to see that they've created an entirely seperate forum for AoR, instead of one master General Discussion for both AoR and EotE with specific forums underneath that.

I'm going to call it "Corky," because despite my entreaties to the Vatican, it doesn't seem that they want to call a Pope that.

I've been calling it FFSW (Fantasy Flight Star Wars)

I like "the Triumph and Despair system" or maybe "d Crazy".

As mentioned earlier, past versions are often now referred to as WEG d6, and WotC d20.

FFG dN (Fantasy Flight Games d-Narrative), seems like a good fit.

Edited by Red331

How about something without an acronym. I may just be becoming a little bit of curmudgeon when it comes down to most people abbreviating everything.

The system for X-wing is called "flightpath", so why not "the chronicle system"?

Chronicle system is the official name of what greenronin designed for their song of ice and fire game.

I like "Narritive Dice system".

Since FFG calls it "Star Wars Roleplaying" (note the lack of "Game" on the end of that), why not just call it SWFFG?

Since FFG calls it "Star Wars Roleplaying" (note the lack of "Game" on the end of that), why not just call it SWFFG?

Swiffig just doesn't roll of the tongue. Unless their marketing comes up with something more palatable, I think I am going to simply call it by the individual acronyms like I have been.

I vote we call it EotE&AoR&F&D

Or perhaps Or perhaps Age of Rebellion on the Destiny and Edge of the Empire Force. AoRotDaEotEF, or ARDEEF!

But in all seriousness, we could call it ERF. Empire, Rebellion, Force.

Edited by Endrik Tenebris

****, I like a lot of these. SWdN, SWRP, and yes, somehow avoiding an acronym would be a nice change, too!

I've also been wondering about this, and am disappointed to see that they've created an entirely seperate forum for AoR, instead of one master General Discussion for both AoR and EotE with specific forums underneath that.

That ground my gears a little too. I'm sure it's because they anticipate that there will be aspects of each system that some players may not like or GMs will want to restrict, thus the strict segregation. I think that there will be majority of overlap, though; and clearing up one rules question in one place would be nice.

I like Star Wars Roleplay (SWRP).

It's better than SWR. I like how it sounds, and it might be just unique enough not to be confusing.

Me and my Friends just refer to the System as Edge. One of my friends is even converting the "Edge System" weapons and gear into a WWI campaign. Although I have no clue what we're gnna call AoR or F&D.

I've done that too, and I really like it. It has a nice ring to it! Is it trying to hard to be cool? Sure EotE was just the first of three installments, but it was the first thing published that these mechanics appear in. I think I'd vote for "Edge System", but probably for all the wrong reasons. :D

I have always called WEG game either WEGd6 or just SWd6... d20 I never played but kind of refereed to it as SWd20... this one I kind of have just taken to calling it SWRPG

I've been calling it FFSW (Fantasy Flight Star Wars)

I would call it FFG Star Wars. WEG I refer to as Star Wars d6 (or d6 Star Wars).

Yes if we just use the term SWRP we aren't specifying which one we mean. That is fine for here at this forum or while FFG dN is going strong, but years down the road we aren't going to know what that was referring to. The d6 Star Wars RPG? d20? Saga? dN? :)

FFG StarWars of SWRP