So what the heck are we calling this system anyhow?

By Zychon, in General Discussion

I've always abbreviated it as SWR. Easy enough.

I've always abbreviated it as SWR. Easy enough.

SWRP

But if you aren't at this forum or in a conversation about this game, "which Star Wars RPG are you speaking of?", I would have to ask.

I would go with something catchy but not d-Nare... that doesn't say anything about Star Wars at all and if you were to post on most forums like "I am trying to adapt FFG's d-Nare dice system" than everybody is going to respond with a bunch of ???????? marks as to what that meant.

If you say FFGSW, or FFSW than at least majority of people will understand... but I think things will be as they are... we will use EotE, AoR and F&D for these games and they all fall under the umbrella of FFGSW or FFSWRP or something like that.

For a name for just the dice system and mechanics unrelated from Star Wars... hell it could be d-Nare but to me that doesn't sound good at all. Just IMO. "The Narrative System" is a lot better... can then be matched up with "The Storyteller System" and "The Fate System" and "The d6 System" and others... so I'd go with "The Narrative System." :D

Star Wars Narrative System?

SWNS?

There are three game lines, so... Trilogy?

I've been calling it FFSW (Fantasy Flight Star Wars)

I'd probably not call it that, myself. Because to me that looks like "For F___'s Sake, Wars!"

I don't think I will bother trying to find a name for the system :P .

E

I think that FFGSWRPG might appear

Fig-swer-pig. Make it so.

NSW (Narrative Star Wars)

Edited by diversionArchitect

Edge of the Rebellious Force!

Edge of the Rebellious Force!

We have a winner.

I think I'm leaning toward "Narrative System" myself. That's really what the game is designed around--cooperatively narrating the best SW story possible.

Er, hmm. "Cooperative Narrative System." CNS? This is one of the few games I know of (other than maybe Dogs in the Vineyard?) that really encourages the players to add to the narrative via the dice, making it a real cooperative effort. Hmm. I think I like CNS better.

I like Star Wars dN .

That way we have Star Wars d6, d20 and dN with their variants (d6 first, second, revised and extended; d20 RCR, SE; dN EotE, AoR, F&D; etc.)

Another thought is to use a Star Wars-y code name for the system, something like "Gundark" or "Utinni". That'd be fine if all the system is used for is for some form of SW, but if FFG has any thoughts of using the system for another setting or IP (Star Trek, Stargate, X-Files, anything that requires a more narrative game play) then something not-SW specific would be better.

Another thought is to use a Star Wars-y code name for the system, something like "Gundark" or "Utinni". That'd be fine if all the system is used for is for some form of SW, but if FFG has any thoughts of using the system for another setting or IP (Star Trek, Stargate, X-Files, anything that requires a more narrative game play) then something not-SW specific would be better.

An X-Files game running this system would rock my entire world, man.

Since every has to do acronyms for every thing (sigh).. How about this: NARritive Dice System or NARDS.

West End Games' system is often known as WEG so why not simply use FFG for Fantasy Flight Games' version?

West End Games' system is often known as WEG so why not simply use FFG for Fantasy Flight Games' version?

You would then have to add SW to FFG and if talking just about the system (not just used for SW) you would need yet another abbreviation. WEG didn't just make Star Wars d6, they made other games. It's the same for FFG. They have other RPGs that don't use this narrative dice system. We already have an abbreviation for the company, some of us would like an abbreviation for the game system also, since it is used in another FFG game (Warhammer) and could possiby be used in future releases (I hope so).

That was probably confusing.

Company? Long form = Fantasy Flight, Short = FFG. Check.

Game world? Long = Star Wars, Short = SW. Check.

Game system? Long = Narrative, Dice Narrative, Narrative Dice, Short = ???

When using actual words, many of us will probably say stuff like, "Fantasy Flight's Star Wars narrative system". We don't want to have to type that on the internet. That's the reason for the desire for a common acronym that is accepted for the system like d6, d20, etc.

Edited by Sturn

FFG SWRP

FFG SWRP

I second.

You would then have to add SW to FFG and if talking just about the system (not just used for SW) you would need yet another abbreviation. WEG didn't just make Star Wars d6, they made other games. It's the same for FFG. They have other RPGs that don't use this narrative dice system. We already have an abbreviation for the company, some of us would like an abbreviation for the game system also, since it is used in another FFG game (Warhammer) and could possiby be used in future releases (I hope so).

That was probably confusing.

Company? Long form = Fantasy Flight, Short = FFG. Check.

Game world? Long = Star Wars, Short = SW. Check.

Game system? Long = Narrative, Dice Narrative, Narrative Dice, Short = ???

When using actual words, many of us will probably say stuff like, "Fantasy Flight's Star Wars narrative system". We don't want to have to type that on the internet. That's the reason for the desire for a common acronym that is accepted for the system like d6, d20, etc.

The simplest response would be FFG SWN for star wars narrative. If your a gamer, you know FFG made Star Wars the Card game and the RPG. So N would suffice to differentiate the two.

Well on a second though, SWRPN would work better, star wars role-playing narrative. There is no other narrative system, and after considering calling the card game SWLCG. SWRPN works for me, my 2 cents..

FFG SWRP

I second.

I third! I like "Swerp". We had Wedge (WEG), Wotsee Dee-Twenty (WOTC D20), Arcee-arh (RCR), and Saga (Saga). Swerp (SWRP) just fits.

I vote for WCIPaJ N (Why Can't I Play a Jedi NOW??? )

(ducks thrown shoes :D )

FFG SWRP

I second.

I third! I like "Swerp". We had Wedge (WEG), Wotsee Dee-Twenty (WOTC D20), Arcee-arh (RCR), and Saga (Saga). Swerp (SWRP) just fits.

I like SWRP. Especially when you put in context:

"What're you guys doing tonight?"

"SWERPIN!!!"

Jim

FFG SWRP

I second.

BUT it stands for Star Wars Role Playing. Which system is that? There are four that I can think of. That is a fine term here at this forum. But if you go over to a general Star Wars RPG forum, they are going to have to ask you which system you are talking about. They will know what you mean when you say Star Wars Saga, Star Wars d6, Star Wars d20, etc. When you say Star Wars RP, they will ask which one?