I hope they tone that red down

By Doc, the Weasel, in General Discussion

Blue would be good for F&D I think.

Rebel Red or R5-D4 red? That is the question. Or maybe Vader's light saber red.

Looking at page makes me feel like I'm ANGRY!

Just as long as you're angry at the Empire, soldier!

Well, this is the game line about playing insurgents and terrorists.

I myself must confess that I like the red cover for AoR. It does stand out and catch your eye. :lol:

There has got to be red on the cover of this book. What other color could possibly represent the Rebel Alliance? That ridiculous orange the Rebel pilots wear on their jumpsuits? I don't think so. Red is the color of passion. The passion for freedom, the passion to restore peace and justice to the galaxy. It is also the color of blood. Blood that is willingly shed by honorable men and women who have realized that the tyrannical regime of the Empire must end, and that the time for a peaceful resolution has long since passed.

That said, I could definitely deal with a slightly darker shade of red like what the OP presented. The goal is to inspire passion, not seizures.

Edited by MarthWMaster

At least it's red and not black for a change. The black toner will be so pleased.

They can save black for Force and Destiny. :)

Purple, mauve or perhaps emerald green for a change!

Well, this is the game line about playing insurgents and terrorists heroes and freedom fighters.

Fixed that for you. ;)

At least it's red and not black for a change. The black toner will be so pleased.

They can save black for Force and Destiny. :)
Purple, mauve or perhaps emerald green for a change!

It would work even if they don't, but that's what comes to mind for me.

That ridiculous orange the Rebel pilots wear on their jumpsuits?

Ooohh, that's a great idea!! It stands out and personally I connect orange to the Rebel Alliance more than any other colour.

Love the red. Seems the right shade for the Rebels as I remember it in the movies. It's a bold choice, stands out on the shelf, and is aesthetically pleasing to me.

Its high vis. Good for search and rescue.

mercury7_flightsuits01.jpg

This is a US Navy F-8 crusader squadron in the seventies.

vf111-1963.jpg

Orange flight suits, colourfully decorated helmets (in front), aeroplane not painted air defence grey. This is where the costume designers were cribbing from when they designed the Rebel pilots.

Edited by ErikB

I hope they turn it to a slightly darker red, more like a crimson red

I'm fine with the current red, but I could definitely get behind a crimson red ;)

The book cover looks fine, but the product page is too bright

I for one like the red.

I can deal with the red as long as they make the text ink darker. My 40 year old eyes can barely read the current core book. With that and the glossy print it takes me forever to find the right amount of light that isnt casting a reflection. haha.

but who am i kidding ... i will buy it anyways. :-)

Edited by 5sola

Yes darker text would be nice.

mercury7_flightsuits01.jpg

This is a US Navy F-8 crusader squadron in the seventies.

vf111-1963.jpg

Orange flight suits, colourfully decorated helmets (in front), aeroplane not painted air defence grey. This is where the costume designers were cribbing from when they designed the Rebel pilots.

Yeah. I know. That doesn't make it look any less silly though.

Yeah. I know. That doesn't make it look any less silly though.

But... but...

US_NASA_Astronauts.jpg

SR71_runway-690x454.jpg

ca2258d41191ecd81c1c69ea871553b4349f7bc.

There was an F-14 squadron still wearing orange flight suits in the eighties! So when star wars came out it was cool!

vf114pilot.jpg

Star_Wars_Rebels_logo.png

Personally really like the red. Ok, the particular red could be altered slightly, but I like the striking cover. And while I will admit the red on white of the website is slightly dizzying, I like the webpage itself, including the red.

But then... trying search and rescue in the deep of space, particularly when no body seems to ever use the ejector seats that x-wings supposedly have, seems rather unlikely. And if it is successful it is far more likely down to beacons, rather than brightly coloured jumpsuits.

They may not have the time to bail out in the movies, but there is evidence that it is potentially an option:-
Porkins: "I've got a problem here."
Biggs: "Eject."
Porkins: "I can hold it."
Biggs: "Pull up!"
Porkins: "NO, I'm all ri-- Aah!"

You could eject in the X-Wing video games (and nothing, nothing is more canon than the X-Wing games :0) ), and it played this cutscene:-

The Empire, naturally, doesn't care enough about its pilots to run an effective S&R operation. Although Rebels will generally rescue any surviving Imperial pilots they come across.

As to the importance of the colour, I would remind you that in the jamming intensive environment of the modern space battle, the Mark 1 Eyeball is often the only sensor that still works!

Control Officer: "Squad leaders, we've picked up a new group of signals. Enemy fighters coming your way."
Luke: "My scope's negative. I don't see anything."
Red Leader: "Keep up your visual scanning. Here they come."

Red Ten: "There's too much interference! Red Five, can you see them from where you are?"
Luke: "No sign of any...wait! Coming in point three five."
Red Ten: "I see them."
:-)
Edited by ErikB

Now I want to play a pilot. :)

Now I want to play a pilot. :)

One of the many SW campaigns I ran had the player characters as fighter pilots stationed on a Nebulon-B frigate roaming the Outer Rim, conducting hit and run operations. Basically a pen and paper version of the classic X-Wing computer game. Good times.