This is what was so important that you needed two posts in one day?

By Corrinmana, in General Discussion

I love Arkham Horror, but many of my friends aren't as into it as I am. This looks a little more light for the casual types, yet deep enough for those who are into the Arkham universe. I look forward to the early PDF when it is a available. Definitely keeping an eye on this one.

To echo the above sentiment: MoM just had a major boxed expansion. And unlike Elder Sign and AH, MoM's (as much as I love it) frequency of replayability suffers from needing 2 players and it not being collaborative.

I'm thrilled to have the jet setting world travel that certain Elder Sign: Omens campaigns have combined with a board game experience. My SO was especially excited.

...And finally in response to the original poster's question.

Yes. It was worth 2 posts in one day.

At least 2.

I would have been okay with 3.

This looks like a great idea. A way to feed more Arkham to the people who want it without adding to the already bloated Arkham Horror (don't get me wrong, I love how many expansions there are for Arkham and I'd snap up another no problem, but there are those that disagree!)

That would be me. I have played Arkham Horror and enjoy it, but in general, it's too long, too big, and too loaded up with stuff that seems to be there for no other reason than to make it long and big, and that goes double for the expansions. Also, the flavor is a bit on the bland side relative to the RPG and even the LCG. I'm happy to play it, but can't see myself getting it for my own collection given the price and the size.

I am hoping that the new entry will be more compact in both time and space requirements, and with stronger flavor. If that's the goal, I'm interested.

...And finally in response to the original poster's question.

Yes. It was worth 2 posts in one day.

At least 2.

I would have been okay with 3.

Me too! I am relatively new to the whole hobby gaming world, and Arkham Horror was my first love. I have not been excited about a new game release before; and now I have.

I find the video that FFG has produced a bit troubling. As always it has great production value. But it seems to be more than 50% of it is storytelling with related animation. Nothing about the game is too interesting to me. Collecting tickets for boats and trains? Whoopee.

This is a good point; more content is generally good, and is almost never bad . Still, I find myself thinking about the revised Dark Pharaoh. I'm pleased with how it turned out, but if it hadn't been very good or novel, my thoughts would have been something like "this is an unimaginative money grab," then "well whatever, I just won't buy it," and "it's a pity they didn't spend all that time and money on something better," eventually followed by "goddamit, Miskatonic Horror isn't compatible with the old one?!"

I imagine having versions of all of these thoughts about EH. I mean, I hope I'm wrong, and I'll happily eat my words if I am, but for now it feels an awful lot like the announcement of D&D's fifth edition.

I had very similar thoughts. But when I took a close look I understood why they did it. And now Dark Pharoah revised gets played a lot when I AH whereas dark Pharoah barely got touched.