This is what was so important that you needed two posts in one day?

By Corrinmana, in General Discussion

This is literally the last thing I wanted to see announced. I would have rather seen a game with no standing IP behind it than this.

This also a slap in the face to people who like Mansions of Madness, as it means you have spent all those months since the last expansion making a new CoC game instead of an expansion for the one we already have.

A game that looks like the board game version of Elder Sign.

"Cthulhu Mythos across the world!" oh, yay, that makes it so much more interesting.

I love you FFG, but come on.

Does feel a little stretched, I have all the current Lovecraftian board games FFG do and don't feel this is something I will pick up, needed some more mansions really!

I was hoping for a more story driven add on for Arkham less gates more evil baddies or a mansions level editor

:(

In what way does this resemble a "board game version of Elder Sign", any more than Arkham Horror or the Call of Cthulhu card game? I certainly didn't get that impression from the preview article.

In what way does this resemble a "board game version of Elder Sign", any more than Arkham Horror or the Call of Cthulhu card game? I certainly didn't get that impression from the preview article.

I agree with Sigma. The preview made me believe it was filling a gap that Cthulhu hadn't filled yet. Infact, Eldritch Horror reminds me more of a roleplay campaign of Call of Cthulhu if anything as you are not always stuck in one city but travelling the world. I don't believe I got the impression that it steps on any of the other games in the Cthulhu line's feet or at least isn't trying to.

I am definitely looking forward to more articles, that is for certain, as Arkham Horror and Mansions of Madness are pulled out with different moods depending on what we want to play. MoM being the more roleplay-lite session or Arkham Horror for the teamwork in a city. The video actually reminds me more of Pandemic and that is never a bad thing in our household.

To me this bears no resemblence to Elder Sign.

If anything it looks like a streamlined Arkham Horror, incorporating popular expansion mechanics (wounds/madness from Dunwich Horror) and some of the ideas from Mansions of Madness (the condition cards with different backs sound like MoM spell cards).

I don't think its anymore a slap in the face to MoM, as MoM was a slap in the face to AH when it was announced.

I really enjoy the mechanisms in MoM, but honestly I'd rather just play the Call of Cthulhu RPG than MoM if that is where we are going. At the same time, I love AH, but its too big/too long/too involved for my current play group. ES on the other hand is light and fun, but sometime not quite enough story.

So count me interested in Eldritch Horror's novella to ES' short story and AH's novel.

Edited by bioball

I think bioball probably has summed up this one.

There is now quite a choice of Lovecraft games from FFG and games to suit a range of tastes.

The question is will existing AH, MoM etc players invest in several of these games (not me) or wait for expansions for the ones they have already bought into (this is me).

No problem with this release, just hope existing Lovecraft games don't get abandoned when the new baby arrives.

Edited by Shub-Niggurath

There is now quite a choice of Lovecraft games from FFG and games to suit a range of tastes.

The question is will existing AH, MoM etc players invest in several of these games (not me) or wait for expansions for the ones they have already bought into (this is me).

No problem with this release, just hope existing Lovecraft games don't get abandoned when the new baby arrives.

I agree Shub. I don't believe other games will lose love but then Arkham Horror I can't see getting many more, if any, expansions as it in my believe is at that sweet spot or slightly past it.

I can't divulge any pertinent information but I can say I am a playtester for Eldritch Horror and those of you who are on the fence, you have nothing to fear from the coming of this game.

This is literally the last thing I wanted to see announced. I would have rather seen a game with no standing IP behind it than this.

This also a slap in the face to people who like Mansions of Madness, as it means you have spent all those months since the last expansion making a new CoC game instead of an expansion for the one we already have.

A game that looks like the board game version of Elder Sign.

"Cthulhu Mythos across the world!" oh, yay, that makes it so much more interesting.

This game is the one thing I really wanted to see announced.

Seriously, you think this is a slap at Mansions? There will be more for that game, too. It's not even close to being played out. Every one of these Lovecraft games plays differently enough to have it's own spot on the shelf.

"Cthulhu Mythos across the world!" OH, YAY!!!!

I love you FFG, but come on AND LET ME BUY IT NOW!

Exactly what I was trying to say, as well as was a bit of a let down waiting after that tease to see a milky version of Arkham

From a player stand point, I can honestly say that it is far from a let down when I am a huge Arkham Horror fan but from the information you have been fed at the moment, I can understand where some of you are coming from.

I am looking forward to the unique aspects that weren't shown in the video to be put into articles. Even though I know how the game is, I am probably as eager as others to see it being revealed!

To me this bears no resemblence to Elder Sign.

If anything it looks like a streamlined Arkham Horror, incorporating popular expansion mechanics (wounds/madness from Dunwich Horror) and some of the ideas from Mansions of Madness (the condition cards with different backs sound like MoM spell cards).

Arkham Horror has had plenty of releases and no one was looking for more. Mansions was different gameplay, This is not really new gameplay as a new playing field.

To all who are asking how it looks like Elder sign; The art style and the "an ancient one is being summoned, which one determines the minor variations on gameplay."

Arkham Horror has had plenty of releases and no one was looking for more.

Have you visited the Arkham Horror forums, or seen all the custom material generated? There is a huge appetite for more.

I would love to see more content, if not big box expansions certainly the last few monster miniatures, more GOOs etc etc.

I don't get what the problem is... is it kinda like Arkham Horror? Sure.. so what. If this was a new AH expansion every AH player would get it and be happy, but cause they are trying new things it is somehow bad? I just do not get this thinking.

I tend to think of this as a Arkham Horror Expansion. It might not be totally new, but hey a MoM or AH expansion isn't completely new either.. so what is the difference?

There is some cool stuff in this like the story deck for each old one. I really like that idea. I think this will be a good game to add to the collection. As i said i think of it like an expansion in a way.

Also to the OP... We had call of the wild like 6 months ago? A HUGE box packed with tons of stuff... like 6 months.. + a PoD Yellow Sign expansion...

It's great that they are doing a new game. I'm all for expansions, I love them. But having a new BIG staple for the Arkham line is monumental and exciting. I've loved the works of Lovecraft for years and Fantasy Flight is the only game company I found that seems to capture the true essence of the literature. This game isn't like Elder Sign at all. It seems to be more like a mixture of elements from Arkham Horror and CoC LCG. I love both those games and am excited to see this new "Sequalesque" addition to the series.

I'm excited about this, finally a world wide Mythos Game :)

We play AH, MoM & Elder Sign with their expansions but we have wanted to open
up the Games more so we can explore beyond Arkham.

Great move FFG

OD

Edited by Old Dwarf

I love the internet, it can be hilarious at times like this!

I don't get what the problem is... is it kinda like Arkham Horror? Sure.. so what. If this was a new AH expansion every AH player would get it and be happy, but cause they are trying new things it is somehow bad? I just do not get this thinking.

I tend to think of this as a Arkham Horror Expansion. It might not be totally new, but hey a MoM or AH expansion isn't completely new either.. so what is the difference?

There is some cool stuff in this like the story deck for each old one. I really like that idea. I think this will be a good game to add to the collection. As i said i think of it like an expansion in a way.

Also to the OP... We had call of the wild like 6 months ago? A HUGE box packed with tons of stuff... like 6 months.. + a PoD Yellow Sign expansion..

This is a good point; more content is generally good, and is almost never bad . Still, I find myself thinking about the revised Dark Pharaoh. I'm pleased with how it turned out, but if it hadn't been very good or novel, my thoughts would have been something like "this is an unimaginative money grab," then "well whatever, I just won't buy it," and "it's a pity they didn't spend all that time and money on something better," eventually followed by "goddamit, Miskatonic Horror isn't compatible with the old one?!"

I imagine having versions of all of these thoughts about EH. I mean, I hope I'm wrong, and I'll happily eat my words if I am, but for now it feels an awful lot like the announcement of D&D's fifth edition.

A game that looks like the board game version of Elder sign.

It was going to be time that the ancient were going to go global instead of limiting themselves to a no name town filled with meddling kids and thier mutt

Also to the OP... We had call of the wild like 6 months ago? A HUGE box packed with tons of stuff... like 6 months.. + a PoD Yellow Sign expansion...

Yes l love this one. Cannot wait to buy

This looks like a great idea. A way to feed more Arkham to the people who want it without adding to the already bloated Arkham Horror (don't get me wrong, I love how many expansions there are for Arkham and I'd snap up another no problem, but there are those that disagree!)

I don't think its anymore a slap in the face to MoM, as MoM was a slap in the face to AH when it was announced.

I really enjoy the mechanisms in MoM, but honestly I'd rather just play the Call of Cthulhu RPG than MoM if that is where we are going. At the same time, I love AH, but its too big/too long/too involved for my current play group. ES on the other hand is light and fun, but sometime not quite enough story.

So count me interested in Eldritch Horror's novella to ES' short story and AH's novel.

+1

MoM feels like a "boardgamer's poor substitution for RPGs" to me. Yes, you got the narrative aspect there, yes, the scenarios are replayable, but everything falls flat when compared to RPGs. I know that it is due the limitations of boardgames, but that doesn't change a thing.

If it's a Cthulhu reskin of Tales of the Arabian Nights , I'm in.

And I'm out. If I want something strongly focused on story, I'll play Call of Cthulhu RPG

Getting this as soon as it's out !

I'm loving me more Arkham :D

1-8 players... Cool. Count me in!