Rogue Trader Generator Tools released!

By TiLT, in Rogue Trader

OME (Ohh My Emperor) what a marvelous creation. The Omnissiah has certianly blessed you with an advanced cogitator upon creation. ;) Love this application and I greatly appreciate the hard work and dedication it must of taken to complete it.

I really love your system generator Tilt and I appreciate the amount of work you've put into it! Now for the painful request: Would it be possible for the Gm to determine (or edit) certain features either prior to or after generation? Say I want an Arid world in the primary biosphere but wanted to random everything else. Do you see what I mean?

For those who are interested; I found a way to do this. When you export the file (In my case to Microsoft word) you can edit the resulting file however you like! I may be a little slow on the uptake ;) but this saves me a whole bunch of hassles from trying to generate manually. Thanks again Tilt! :D

I just saw this and started playing around with it. Very cool. This will actually let me use Stars of Inequity at the table, which I've wanted to do for a while.

The only thing I'd really like to be added is a way to generate & track Warp routes as given in the Navis Primer. I've got a navigator in my group and trying to keep track of it all is quite daunting.

That's a good idea, though even that would be a bit of work. I would imagine that such a tool would have you picking a starting system (or area of the Koronus Expanse in case you're not using an official system) and a target system (or area), then generate the results based on both the random tables and the exceptions based on where you are.

It's not something I'm going to look into in the immediate future. I've got WAY too much on my plate right now.

That's a good idea, though even that would be a bit of work. I would imagine that such a tool would have you picking a starting system (or area of the Koronus Expanse in case you're not using an official system) and a target system (or area), then generate the results based on both the random tables and the exceptions based on where you are.

It's not something I'm going to look into in the immediate future. I've got WAY too much on my plate right now.

Oh, yeah. I wasn't trying to say "you should do this right now." It was more of a, "pie in the sky" idea. Thanks again for the great tool.

Interesting. I can't install this, and I'm running Windows 7 on this machine. Advice?

There's nothing to install. Just run the executable.

As for advice, I can't help you unless you give me something to work with. Your post is about equivalent with someone saying "my car doesn't work. What's wrong with it?" to someone who can't see said car. ;)

Edited by TiLT

There's nothing to install. Just run the executable.

As for advice, I can't help you unless you give me something to work with. Your post is about equivalent with someone saying "my car doesn't work. What's wrong with it?" to someone who can't see said car. ;)

Sorry about that, I was kinda pressed for time.

...and I think I found the problem, and that it's with my own set-up :( So please don't worry yourself about it.

No problem! Hope you got it working. :)

Love this piece of software!!! This has saved me so much time and energy while improving my groups experience with the game. The only thing I could ask for is the ability to edit generate items attributes, however this has already been addressed and I am happy with that. Good work TiLT, very impressive.

I am also a huge fan of the ability to add in descriptions for objects, allows me to fill in backstory directly in the program.

I have encountered a small bug, I appear to be unable to rename objects that orbit planets besides regular moons. The asteroids and lesser moons will open the box to rename themselves but it will not take affect. I am unsure if this is an intentional feature or just a local bug for my system.

Edited by MagosSteel

I have encountered a small bug, I appear to be unable to rename objects that orbit planets besides regular moons. The asteroids and lesser moons will open the box to rename themselves but it will not take affect. I am unsure if this is an intentional feature or just a local bug for my system.

That does indeed appear to be a genuine bug. I have no idea how I missed it. I'll fix it as soon as possible. I would have fixed it before writing this post, but I'm out of town right now without access to my development machine.

Rogue Trader is my least favorite of the games but I must say this tool makes me want to play it. It's brilliant, thank you.

I've uploaded version 1.04 of the generator now. It fixes the problem with renaming asteroids and lesser moons. Turns out I was instantly overwriting them with generated names instead, which wasn't at all what I had intended. Please let me know if this leads to other problems with renaming. There could be unintended consequences for other system features, though I couldn't detect any in my limited testing.

I should probably get around to writing an update to the Eldar logic in the generator soon. It's currently not working as written in the book. When updated, you should be able to discover Eldar Maiden Worlds, and Eldar colonies will put much less of a strain on a planet's natural resources.

Thanks for the fixing the bug so fast TiLT, I'll use the new system and see if any other bugs show up and add them in below.

Found Bugs:

None so far

I decided to follow up on the previous version right away. Version 1.05 is available in the first post of this thread. Eldar voidfarers no longer consume resources, and there's now a 20% chance that habitable planets controlled by the Eldar are actually Eldar Maiden Worlds.

As always, let me know if you run into any problems.

Emperor truly smiles upon you.

Im having a little problem.
When i generate ships - i only generate ships only from core book - even if i click all other book to take account from the settings section

Thanks for the marvelous tool TiLT, it has saved me many hours of page-flipping!

Would it be possible to hook the "Generate" command to a function key (say... F5) in a future release?

I'm preparing a new campaign for my players so I often have to regenerate single planets until they fit my idea for the star system and having to open the dropdown menu every time is quite annoying.

Emperor truly smiles upon you.

Im having a little problem.

When i generate ships - i only generate ships only from core book - even if i click all other book to take account from the settings section

Yeah, that's by design right now. The generator you're using is essentially just the one from the book that came with the GM screen. I was planning to expand it a bit, but forgot all about it. It can get rather complex, so it's a daunting task. I would like to do it, so let's just say that it's one of my own most wanted features. :)

The generator can create ships from what I believe is every Rogue Trader book out there when it comes to pirates and ship wrecks, but that's because it doesn't have to equip these ships with components and weaponry, a far more substantial process.

Thanks for the marvelous tool TiLT, it has saved me many hours of page-flipping!

Would it be possible to hook the "Generate" command to a function key (say... F5) in a future release?

I'm preparing a new campaign for my players so I often have to regenerate single planets until they fit my idea for the star system and having to open the dropdown menu every time is quite annoying.

Glad to hear it's helping you out.

I originally tried to add more shortcut keys, but it turned out to be more tricky than I expected. Eventually I just gave up and published the **** thing since I had spent a few months on it already and just wanted to get it out there. I should look into it again, because what you're asking for is very sensible indeed.

Edited by TiLT

Ah ok.

This one of the best RPG tools that i have faced , cos the amount of knowlegde that is now packed to book is so huge that this tool is handy for quick reference and keeping everything recorded.

Would be so cool to actually select what kind of hull would the system generate for you. All the components can be random.

Selecting a specific hull might be a bit much for the UI, considering the amount of hulls in the books. Would selecting a hull category be enough for you? This would be a menu much like the treasure menu for example, with both the ability to generate a totally random ship or one using a specific hull category. You'd have options like "generate cruiser" and "generate transport", which would pick a random hull within that category and generate components based on it.

Selecting a specific hull might be a bit much for the UI, considering the amount of hulls in the books. Would selecting a hull category be enough for you? This would be a menu much like the treasure menu for example, with both the ability to generate a totally random ship or one using a specific hull category. You'd have options like "generate cruiser" and "generate transport", which would pick a random hull within that category and generate components based on it.

Do it like that !

Could it be done that all ships that are in trader be included ( grand, battle, light, frigate, raider, transport) to this generate ship selection. All the components could still be totally random, well of course cruiser could not take components ment only for raider etc etc but still.

Generate ship

-Grand Cruiser ( i really feel that all cruisers should all be in different selection )

- BattleCruiser

-Cruiser

-Light Cruiser (not many avaible anyway but still) they could be included cruiser selection but i think that they are so cool and own "section" among ship categories that there should be choice just for them.

-Raider ( most important feature for me)

-Frigate

-Transport

With this upgrade, most of my and probably many other GM problems could be solved. I found tha system generator tool so awesome !! With the ability to actually save you system ( no more tons of paper around you gaming table )

What about stats derived from the harder to find ships in the back of some of the books? There are extra cruiser types, extra examples, there's even heavy cruisers...

What about stats derived from the harder to find ships in the back of some of the books? There are extra cruiser types, extra examples, there's even heavy cruisers...

There are? Are these actual hull types or just NPC ships? If it's the latter, I'd rather not start digging into them to try and reverse engineer them. If they are the former, where can I find them? I have all the books.

With this upgrade, most of my and probably many other GM problems could be solved. I found tha system generator tool so awesome !! With the ability to actually save you system ( no more tons of paper around you gaming table )

I really want to do this ASAP, but to be honest it'll probably take a while. The main reason is that we're about to head into the big gaming season for computer/console games, and I'm a huge gamer. These games are going to dominate my spare time for a while, and the feature we're talking about here would probably take me a week or so of coding every evening. It's not a small thing. Add to that the fact that I'm just about to shake off the Shingles, and I'd rather lean back on my couch for a while than code all day and night (it's my day job too).

I want to do this, but it might not happen for a few months yet. On the other hand, I could get a sudden burst of inspiration one day and start hammering away at the keyboard. That's when I'd be the most effective. Fingers crossed. :)

There are? Are these actual hull types or just NPC ships? If it's the latter, I'd rather not start digging into them to try and reverse engineer them. If they are the former, where can I find them? I have all the books.

They are NPC ships to be reverse engineered...

I was thinking specifically of the Ignis class heavy cruiser, for example. That was added to this: http://rtrpg.blogspot.com/ with the SP guessed at, maybe you could add it to yours as well?

Edit: Okay, well there was only one Ignis, never mind...

Edited by Gavinfoxx