Rogue Trader Generator Tools released!

By TiLT, in Rogue Trader

On 7/28/2017 at 1:55 AM, Argagarg said:

Dang, I just discovered this thing a little while ago and I'm blown away--well done!

I do have one question, though--is there a way to modify individual entries (rather than just re-generate)? I'd like to use this tool to hold descriptions for all the systems I've already created for my campaign, but some of those systems already have particular kinds of planets specified and I'd like to just generate a new system and tweak the planets I need to match their existing characteristics.

I can see how there might not be a way to do this in the tool itself, but is there a way to manually modify the .rtg file itself? The RTF is easy to deal with but I can't re-import it and use the tool as-is.

I never really made the application for that kind of thing. Just the thought of designing editor alone makes me shiver. :P

The RTG-files are just XML-files in disguise. You can edit them with any XML editor, but I don't recommend it. I can't guarantee that the generator will be able to read the file correctly if the modifications you make don't align with its expectations, but if you at least make a backup of your file first, it can't hurt to try. Still, I would personally recommend that you just add your custom information to the Description field for the parts of the system you wish to customize. It won't replace the existing information, but at least whatever you write will be visible inside both the editor and the documents you generate with it.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:42 PM, TheMightiestCaz said:

Good afternoon!

Just wanted to stop by and drop a quick note that from all the comments I've read, it seems like your tool is wonderful. I'm about to run my 1st game of RT and was wondering do I follow your original link for the product or do I go to GitHub to get the usable kind? Don't have much in coding experience so looking for the most current version...

Thanks!

~Caz

Just grab the executable from the first post. It's always up to date with the latest version on GitHub. If you're not a developer, going through GitHub won't really offer you anything you need, so steer clear. Anytime I modify the code (it's been a while since the last time I did so), I will increment the version number and update the first post in this thread. Good luck with your game! :)

Hey man, I just wanna comment on this little program you whipped up. It's awesome and you're awesome. Thanks for giving us GMs an easier time with planning sessions.

1 hour ago, goatman92 said:

Hey man, I just wanna comment on this little program you whipped up. It's awesome and you're awesome. Thanks for giving us GMs an easier time with planning sessions.

Thank you! I'm always happy to hear about people actually using the application, especially now that Rogue Trader as a system is "dead."

Hey, love the tool, been using it a lot. I do have a possibly stupid question though. When generating systems, I sometimes get planets that have a resource in the mid 100's or even over two hundred. ****, I'm looking at a size 228 archeotech cache right now. Is this right? Maybe I just don't understand how resource abundancy is generated, the book is very confusing on this point. I see rolling d5's and d10's here and there, but nothing that indicates how it could go over 200.

4 minutes ago, Amagic said:

Hey, love the tool, been using it a lot. I do have a possibly stupid question though. When generating systems, I sometimes get planets that have a resource in the mid 100's or even over two hundred. ****, I'm looking at a size 228 archeotech cache right now. Is this right? Maybe I just don't understand how resource abundancy is generated, the book is very confusing on this point. I see rolling d5's and d10's here and there, but nothing that indicates how it could go over 200.

I'm going from memory here since I have neither the book nor the code in front of me, and it's been a while since I wrote the thing. I believe the generator can generate multiple sources of the same resource on a planet for various reasons covered in the book. Whenever that happens, I think it adds them together. This can result in extraordinarily large caches. Look at it as an excuse to create a cool story around why there is such an enormous amount of valuable archeotech on the planet in the first place.

Ahh, that makes more sense. So if I understand correctly, when rolling for deposits you're rolling for how many deposits there are and then 1d100 to see how abundant every deposit is, adding same resources together. Thank you.

15 minutes ago, Amagic said:

Ahh, that makes more sense. So if I understand correctly, when rolling for deposits you're rolling for how many deposits there are and then 1d100 to see how abundant every deposit is, adding same resources together. Thank you.

Yeah, I think that's it. As I said, I don't remember the exact code, but it sounds familiar.

Edited by TiLT

Hey TiLT, just wanted to say thank you for making such a great program. I've been using it for a while now and it has proved to be invaluable for GMing for groups who love going all over the **** shop. Thank you very much for all your hard work and effort creating it!

On 2/2/2019 at 1:41 AM, Technos said:

Hey TiLT, just wanted to say thank you for making such a great program. I've been using it for a while now and it has proved to be invaluable for GMing for groups who love going all over the **** shop. Thank you very much for all your hard work and effort creating it!

Glad to hear that people are still getting some use out of the generator. And yeah, I noticed with my own group how much easier it made it when my group decided to explore some random system that I hadn't planned out. Of course, just getting to a system took so long in many cases that I still had prep time, but not always.

Yeah, I also still use it for random exploring, or fleshing out bits for curious players.

It's 2020, seven years later and the world is in quarantine, and I've been using your tool to generate systems for a new campaign I'm about to run virtually with friends.

Thanks for making this TiLT.

15 minutes ago, Corsaer said:

It's 2020, seven years later and the world is in quarantine, and I've been using your tool to generate systems for a new campaign I'm about to run virtually with friends.

Thanks for making this TiLT.

Cheers! I hope you'll have a great time with your campaign.

It seems that "Lesser Moons" do not appear to generate resources, although a roll of 6+ should generate one mineral resource. I tested 50+ lesser moons and none of them had any resources.

On 10/18/2020 at 12:38 AM, Neo2Rus said:

It seems that "Lesser Moons" do not appear to generate resources, although a roll of 6+ should generate one mineral resource. I tested 50+ lesser moons and none of them had any resources.

It appears that you are correct. Lesser moons do not generate anything as of right now. I'm not sure if it's worth going back and fixing right now, particularly since I haven't touched the code in 5 years. Then again, it is open source, so anyone could submit a fix.

I just wanted to add my thanks to you TiLT for providing this great software. I have been using it as of late as a solo exploring game and there is no telling how many systems that I have created. It's fun as a standalone tool in my opinion. I know that I like it very much. 😀