Rogue Trader Generator Tools released!

By TiLT, in Rogue Trader

An encounter generator isn't a bad idea, especially since it's already covered by the rules.

I'm not sure how likely it is that I'll implement anything like that. I'm not currently running Rogue Trader, instead having started a Dark Heresy 2nd Edition campaign. Then again, a Warp encounter table could be useful even for that game... Hmm.

Hey, if you do it, awesome!

But even if you don't, this generator is CRAZY badass and awesome! Seriously, thanks!

Hmm, this is wonderful but the ship generator only generate sships from the main book even with the others ticked.

Little help?

That question was answered at the bottom of the previous page (page 6) of this thread.

Cheers Tilt, I found that myself shortly after my post, thought I would still check if this has been updated :)

...I'm having trouble getting the program to run. It might have something to do with my OS, (Ubuntu), but I do have a windows program loader...

First off, great tool and great work on it - it amazes me what a little fandom and some coding can do!

Secondly, is there anything in the works for a ship building applet or something of that nature? It would really simplify the daunting process of calculating costs, benefits/drawbacks, and power/space usages if there was something automated.

...I'm having trouble getting the program to run. It might have something to do with my OS, (Ubuntu), but I do have a windows program loader...

I can pretty much guarantee that your OS is the problem, and I can't really help you figure it out. The application was built to use Windows (including the inbuilt user/application folders) and .Net, so if your program loader isn't 100% flawless (unlikely), there's bound to be problems with certain applications. If you want to make sure you can run the generator, you have to either run Windows or be lucky enough that your loader doesn't bug out.

TiLT - for the system generator; is it possible to add in some toggle options to increase or decrease the odds of certain types of objects appearing, and how much treasure they generate?

TiLT - for the system generator; is it possible to add in some toggle options to increase or decrease the odds of certain types of objects appearing, and how much treasure they generate?

Not really. That would be quite complex, UI-wise. You can just right-click on most things in the tree view to regenerate just that single part of the system though, so you can just replace whatever you dislike until it becomes what you want it to be. If you want something specific, you can also add it directly in many cases.

Not really. That would be quite complex, UI-wise. You can just right-click on most things in the tree view to regenerate just that single part of the system though, so you can just replace whatever you dislike until it becomes what you want it to be. If you want something specific, you can also add it directly in many cases.

Yeah you're right - there is some direct customization in what the utility generates, which actually, negates the need for such a UI. And also - a GM can always just say "nah, 47 exotic metals is too low, I'll make 87 instead." It's just nice to have the option of feeling that I "randomly" generated an awesome system for my PCs to take.

Don't forget that you can add notes directly to any part of the tree, so even if you can't change those exotic metals directly, you can remind yourself there that the value is different.

Cheers for your work TiLT.

Double

Edited by Decessor

Hey Tilt i had a question. I wanted to run my explorers into a system that has decided to Secede from the Imperium but i noticed that your generator almost never creates systems with inhabitants. i Dont have my books near but i was curious if this is a common problem people have? is that because of the scale from the orginal tables? or do the dice gods just think its funny to mess with me?

I had to check the code to figure out the answer to this one, as it's been a while since I made it and I don't remember the rationale behind it. According to the code, inhabitants are generated under these conditions:

- If the system has the Starfarers feature, inhabitants will be distributed across inhabitable locations in the system.

- A planet with a Verdant or Limited ecosystem will generate inhabitants 30% of the time.

- A planet with any other ecosystem will generate inhabitants 10% of the time.

These are all the cases in which a location can have inhabitants, which means that while they aren't exactly common, they should appear with some regularity. At first glance I can't see any bugs with the code, and I've seen tons of inhabitants in my own testing. Case in point: I just started the generator up and generated a single, entirely random system. It ended up having the Starfarers feature and was filled with human inhabitants, just like what you're looking for.

To get the results you seek, generate systems until you get one with Starfarers (you can see this by clicking on the system itself in the navigator on the left. When you do, click on a few planets to see what race was generated, and keep generating systems if the race wasn't human.

Keep in mind though that what you're seeking isn't exactly what this generator was designed for. You have a specific goal in mind, while the generator was created to be random. You might be better off generating a random system then adjusting it by hand, either by adding descriptions or by exporting it to RTF and editing it in a rich text editor like Word. Adding inhabitants is pretty straightforward, as all you need to do is decide what development level they're at and reduce the planet's available resources accordingly (the more advanced, the less resources available). Eldar follow different rules.

Edited by TiLT

Navigation SOFTWARE

Here you go, Merry Emperormas LOL

Darkreign.com - APPs

Stay GAMING

Morbid

Edited by MorbidDon

Thanks for the reply. It was more that the desire sparked my notice that i hardly ever had inhabited systems. with percentages that small i see why though. I have had the generator create systems with inhabitants since that post and have determined its just my luck. Again i love this generator i don't sit down to run a session without it open just in case i need a quick starship or a xeno artifact. Thanks for your hard work.

I'm REALLY glad I found this tool before starting my game. I was able to generate a whole sub-sector of like 20 systems in a night. I can only imagine how long it would take me to generate them by hand.

I do have one feature request. Can we get a check box or option setting that locks the generation? While looking through and renaming systems I have accidentally clicked "Generate System" and lost what I had before.

Thanks for the great tool.

I'm REALLY glad I found this tool before starting my game. I was able to generate a whole sub-sector of like 20 systems in a night. I can only imagine how long it would take me to generate them by hand.

I do have one feature request. Can we get a check box or option setting that locks the generation? While looking through and renaming systems I have accidentally clicked "Generate System" and lost what I had before.

Thanks for the great tool.

Hmm, that is certainly possible, though your suggested solution sounds to me like a workaround for a bigger problem with the application's workflow. You're giving me a few ideas for improvements that might help with many of the feature requests I've received since I released this generator, but I'm going to have to think about this when I'm not sleep deprived. :)

Hey...I got a major bug/issue to report.

I have 2 workspace files I am keeping my work in (2 sub-sectors of like 20 planets each) named (for this example) Workspace01 and Workspace02. I opened Workspace01 yesterday, made some edits and notes then saved and overwrote the file. That is fine.

The issue happens when I open Workspace02 (without closing the program), edit Workspace02 then hit Ctrl+S to save it. The issue: When I hit Ctrl+S it saved Workspace02 over top of Workspace01 without warning. I did not realize this happened until this morning and was getting ready for my session today. So I have completely lost an entire sub-sector of generation and notes for my PCs and NPCs.

That sounds pretty serious. I'll get on it right away.

Fixed! Thanks for letting me know about this bug. It was a pretty big thing for me to miss. Lesson learned for next time. I'm sorry you lost so much work due to this bug.

Fixed! Thanks for letting me know about this bug. It was a pretty big thing for me to miss. Lesson learned for next time. I'm sorry you lost so much work due to this bug.

Thanks for the quick fix. Luckily we were only on session 3 and the players have only explored 2 systems so far so it was not as bad of a loss as it could have been.