Make your own WFRP3 cards: Strange Eons version 3 released

By Emirikol, in WFRP House Rules

Just an FYI for anyone who picks up this project. This is why you can set a version number on the component. For example, diy.version = 1; diy.version = 2, and so on. Whenever you add new features that won't be in old save files, increase the version number. Then, add some code to the onRead function that checks the version number and, if it is an older version, creates default values for the new features. For example:

function create( diy ) {
    diy.version = 3;
    // the current version
}

function onRead( diy, objectInputStream ) {
    if( diy.version < 2 ) {
        $newFeatureAddedInVersion2 = 'default value for this feature';
    }
    if( diy.version < 3 ) {
        $firstNewFeatureAddedInVersion3 = 'the default for this feature';
        $secondNewFeatureAddedInVersion3 = 'and the default for this one';
        // since we added defaults for all the new stuff, this card is now
        // version 3 (the current version); if we don't change this, then
        // the default values will keep getting set when the file is opened
        diy.version = 3;
    }
}

Okay now for another puzzlement.

I am now using my laptop with the files I had working on Friday, before i copied them to my home computer and uploaded to google docs.

As you know the home computer execution of Strange eons 3 and the files gives error when you open the saved file.

The problem I have is this, the laptop files give no errors at all. I can save, i can reopen those saves. There are no mission tabs.

Solutions

1. The seext files when copied over were corrupted somehow.

2. My strange eons on the laptop works better than the one on my desktop. Its 3550a. Minimum addons.

3. Tzeentch is real.

I will try copying the files over again tonight when finished work. Since the error happened from copying via usb drive, will see where the error happened.

Edited by Thelric

Time for a bit of thread necromancy (apologies to Morr for disturbing the rest of some)...

I see a new version of Strange Eons 3 has been released (release date shows January 18, 2014 and the build number is b3744). Any chance of revisiting some of the WFRP3 plugins?

NOTICE: February/ 25/ 2014

Strange Eons version 2 WFRP stuff on the Liber Fanatica website does not have all of the original material, including the character sheet.

You can uninstall the "Liber Fanatica" plug-in on Strange Eons2 entitled Liber Fanatica and install this one to get it to work.

wfrp3_adds

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/167876/WFRP%20STUFF/STRANGE%20EONS%20SEEXT%20WFRP3_adds%20Liber%20Fanatica%207.zip

If any of you have any trouble using Strange Eons (version 2) for this stuff let me know. I'm not a programmer, but I can help you out :)

jh

Edited by Emirikol

ok so i have eons 3, i have double clicked wfrp3_adds. And when i open eons i just get errors and when i try to open action card thing i just get more errors.

Yep its why I still use Strange Eons 2, not STrange Eons 3.

Strange EONS 2 works

nvm

Edited by Banemus

This is a great tool. Thank you to everyone that made this a reality.

If any of you know any coding whatsoever and just extract the code from any of the missing components and update it to the version 3, we're good..otherwise, we're still using Version 2 (recall that the Liber fanatica upload disables the earlier Liber fanatica "wfrp3_adds" for some reason).

jh

Edited by Emirikol

hey guys

After creating a card with strange eons, where should you save it to have access to it later? Can the program see it where ever? or does it have to be in a certain folder? using a mac.

It shouldn't matter where you save it.

I admit I am thoroughly confused about this. Is there a definitive installation guide, which Strange Eons version to use (legacy 2.0 or this new 3.0).

Also how do you install the plugins? I downloaded the zip file with the warhammer files, but if I double click them and install I get java errors when I start the software, on either version.

OK guys, just be patient, I'm working on a new version of the plugin for Strange Eons 3. No bug, no error message, and every template from LF7 to LF9. I just have some little issues to correct and this should be done.

More over, this will be a multilanguage version (english, french, and ready for any other translation), which may interest many other GMs.

I'll keep you informed once iti s done !

Awesome, thanks. I'm working on converting 'Through the Drakwald' and the Damnation trilogy to wfrp 3e. Being able to make cool npc cards would be great.

I don't suppose anyone has made a pet template for either version, have they?

Best to use a blank version from Liber Fanatica 7 .seext version (Strange Eons version 1 or 2..current version doesn't work with the old stuff).

Best to use a blank version from Liber Fanatica 7 .seext version (Strange Eons version 1 or 2..current version doesn't work with the old stuff).

Perfect. Now I just need to see how my players react to a strange Priest of Taal with a Giant Wolf as a pet. LOL.

I made a bunch of item cards and race cards and I was wondering if it's okay to share them on here and also what people recommend as a good host.

The item cards include every piece of armor in the game with item description, encumbrance, cost, soak/defense, and special abilities. It also lists every weapon (other than unarmed or improvised, which maybe I should go ahead and add) that include item description, encumbrance, damage, and special abilities. There is also a set of "miscellaneous" cards that list encumbrance from 0-6 that players can write the actual item on a card that matches the encumbrance. They're all mini sizes and I printed them on card stock, glued the two sides together and put them in sleeves.

The racial cards list EVERY racial ability (with ogre hunger being slightly truncated) for all of the core races and all of the hero's call races. They don't have backs because of how the strange eons plugin I used for them.

I think that these cards could be helpful tracking encumbrance and also ammo (I may modify the ammo cards a bit to aid this).

I'd love to see them. I think they are a great idea.

[edit: Yes, I think the Improvised Weapon rules would be a great thing. We did up the racial abilities back in the day, but I think this is something that may be best just written on the character sheet. IMO.]

Edited by Emirikol

Here's an example of the cards I've created. I emailed a copy of them to DrWorm.

http://imgur.com/LqMeo4s

4 months. It has been 4 months I said I was working on these templates and asked you to be patient... I can't believe it took me so long. And it is not even finished ! But I can already present you a new version of the plugins :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wp985ugwcb4n68s/AADpVwKQEWNzRLwiLMUvQIJya?dl=0

Yes, "plugins" in plural. I have updated the 3 plugins from Hurlanc, Sunaset and LiberFanatica to make them compatible with Strange Eons 3. I have also translated the plugins into french (well, it is not finished but it does not really impact most of the people here), and more over made the plugin easy to translate into other languages. If someone wants to translate the plugin into german, spanish, or whatever language, just contact me and I will explain you how you can do it very simply.

The package now contains a 4th plugin, which is a common basis for the 3 others. It contains most of the game vocabulary and common images which are used by the plugins. It is neded to install it alongside the others in order to make them work.

Please download and use the README file which contains the installation and configuration process.

Feel free to notify me with any remark or bug. I hope you'll enjoy it !

I have updated the 3 plugins from Hurlanc, Sunaset and LiberFanatica to make them compatible with Strange Eons 3.

Great work. Thanks!

Any suggestion what I should do with the old .eon data? I have a lot of career sheets from Liber Fanatica 7 in .eon format. Can they be imported or should I run Strange Eons 2 in parallel?

Thindaraiel! The legends were true!

Great job, thanks so much for your efforts. Well worth the wait! Thanks! :)

Alas, I tried to make old SE2 .eon files compatible with SE3, but a major change in the product itself modifies some sort of header in the files and makes them not compatible. Therefore you cannot open old SE2 files with SE3. You will have to open SE2 in parallel than SE3, and copy/paste each field (which can takes some time...).

OK, Thindaraiel, I *finally* got around to creating some files with your plug-in for Strange Eons 3 and all I can say is, "Awesome!"

Honestly, you did a GREAT job of cleaning up some of the quirkiness from ver2. It imported text and pictures nicely and all the fields I used were very accesible. Thanks again for putting in the effort and making this available to the WFRP community.