GM Resources: Aliens of the Galaxy

By Gallandro, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Yeah, i can see your point. I just used to the 3 as a similar upgrade like the cather had in Agility. I suppose if I got rid of the 1/3 Bra/Cun setup, I could use the lowered +9. I did not want to lower it because I had in my mind they would already have a 1 for Brawn. Anyone else have thoughts?

You have convinced me on the skills that my first thoughts on skills were correct.

BrashFink said:

Yeah, i can see your point. I just used to the 3 as a similar upgrade like the cather had in Agility. I suppose if I got rid of the 1/3 Bra/Cun setup, I could use the lowered +9. I did not want to lower it because I had in my mind they would already have a 1 for Brawn. Anyone else have thoughts?

You have convinced me on the skills that my first thoughts on skills were correct.

I'd also just like to chime in with the fact that a Brawn rating of 1 isn't justified by the source material either. From the Wookieepedia entry on them:

"Male and female Chiss tend to be more powerfully built when compared to Humans but exhibit the same variances as Humanoid sexes."

They're humans, maybe a little bit superior even, but they're baseline human. Sure, Thrawn was a tactical genius to be sure, able to quickly react to changing battlefield circumstances, but I also think it's a little dangerous to model an entire species on one character.

Baseline 2 across the board is really going to be your best best. happy.gif

Yeah good call actually. I think you both have convinced me. Any other Chime-ins?

I am going to go back tonight and review my WEG stuff tonight also. I am leaning toward lowering the Will to 11, leaving Wounds 10 and Stats 2s across the board. Same skills.

BrashFink said:

Yeah good call actually. I think you both have convinced me. Any other Chime-ins?

I am going to go back tonight and review my WEG stuff tonight also. I am leaning toward lowering the Will to 11, leaving Wounds 10 and Stats 2s across the board. Same skills.

I like it. happy.gif

BrashFink said:

CHISS

190px-Chiss_TOR.jpg

Species Abilities

Wound Threshold: 10+Brawn
Strain Threshold: 11+Willpower

Starting Experience: 100 points

Special Abilities: Chiss begin the game with one rank in either Leadership or Vigilance. They still may not train that skill above rank 2 during character creation.

Characteristic Rating

Brawn 2
Cunning 2
Presence 2
Agility 2
Intelligence 2
Willpower 2

Above is the Edited one, since the forum does not let you edit after a certain amount of time.

Huh.

I've been working on my own set of conversions for a number of alien species, drawing more from the D6 versions where available than the d20 ones, and I'm finding after actually reading the more recent species entries rather than skimming over them that quite a few of the ones I came up with match-up pretty well to what others have posted here.

For instance, I came to the same conclusions regarding the Chiss that BrashFink did on his second version.

I'm trying to actually put a full PDF document together, but the rate things are going, I might just end up with a bunch of species traits that other people have come up with. preocupado.gif

Ortolans are easily one of my favorite races (how dare they not get officially stated for Saga Edition!) and I'm going to go ahead and try my luck with another race. (Also, if someone has some solid stats for Saga Ortolans…)

Ortolan

Ortolans

Wound Threshold :12 + Brawn

Strain Threshold : 10 + Willpower

Starting Experience : 100 XP

Special Abilities : Ortolans begin the game with one rank in Resilience. They still may not train Resilience above rank 2 during character creation.

Scent : Ortolans gain 1 boost die when making Survival checks to track

Food Lovers : Ortolans suffer 1 setback die to resist Social Checks checks where food is involved

Characteristic Rating

Brawn 3 Cunning 2

Presence 2 Agility 1

Intellect 2 Willpower 2

I don't have my rulebook with me at work, so the wording on Food Lovers isn't where I'd like it to be. I can't for the life of me remember what term they used to cover Coerce, Negotation, Leadership, ect. checks. That's what term should be in the Food Lovers line.

Also can't decide on 11 or 12 would threshold. They get a +2 Con in d20, but I don't feel they are actually as hardy as say… Gams or Trandos. Anyway, feedback always appreciated.

Profgoldfinch said:

Ortolans are easily one of my favorite races (how dare they not get officially stated for Saga Edition!) and I'm going to go ahead and try my luck with another race. (Also, if someone has some solid stats for Saga Ortolans…)

Ortolan

Ortolans

Wound Threshold :12 + Brawn

Strain Threshold : 10 + Willpower

Starting Experience : 100 XP

Special Abilities : Ortolans begin the game with one rank in Resilience. They still may not train Resilience above rank 2 during character creation.

Scent : Ortolans gain 1 boost die when making Survival checks to track

Food Lovers : Ortolans suffer 1 setback die to resist Social Checks checks where food is involved

Characteristic Rating

Brawn 3 Cunning 2

Presence 2 Agility 1

Intellect 2 Willpower 2

I don't have my rulebook with me at work, so the wording on Food Lovers isn't where I'd like it to be. I can't for the life of me remember what term they used to cover Coerce, Negotation, Leadership, ect. checks. That's what term should be in the Food Lovers line.

Also can't decide on 11 or 12 would threshold. They get a +2 Con in d20, but I don't feel they are actually as hardy as say… Gams or Trandos. Anyway, feedback always appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, is there no application for small? Like species under a specific height? Ortolans, Jawas, Ewoks, etc…
Does anyone have access to the stats for ratlings in Only War? That would give an indication if something were to exist on the matter, or not.

Just to let folks know, but Cyril and I are working on a compiled document of species stats that we've come up with, including a few others that I thought were really good from this thread.

At the moment, our current list stands as such (though I'm sure there are others that Cyril's working on that I've forgotten about):

Aqualish (my own take)*
Bith (in progress)
Cathar
Chiss (my own take)*
Duros (Gallandro, but tweaked a bit in light of the recent Beta updates)
Ewoks (Cyril)
Gamorreans (Cyril)
Ithorian (my own take)*
Jawas (in progress)
Kubaz (in progress)
Mon Calamari
Nikto (in progress)
Noghri (in progress)
Quarren
Selkath (Cyril)
Squibs (my own take)*
Sullustans (Cyril)
Togorian
Togurta (Profgoldfinch)
Verpine (in progress)
Zabraks
Zeltrons (Gallandro, but tweaked a bit in light of the recent Beta updates)

*these ended up fairly similar to ones found on this thread, which I guess means that working backwards from pre-existing species stats tends to lead to similar results.

Several of these are going to need to be re-evaluated in light of the recent updates that FFG provided, which pretty much gave a power bump to most species.

If there's anyone that would like to contribute, either with a species noted as "in progress" or better yet one not on the list, shoot me a PM. I'd prefer to stick with species that are represented or tied to the Rebellion Era; so far the Chiss (SWTOR and NJO/Legacy) and Selkath (KOTOR) are the only exceptions.

Also, we're not looking to create a super-comprehensive list of every Star Wars species. I'm thinking 24 entries ought to be more than sufficient for the Beta version of this game.

Thanks in advance.

$hamrock said:

Just out of curiosity, is there no application for small? Like species under a specific height? Ortolans, Jawas, Ewoks, etc…
Does anyone have access to the stats for ratlings in Only War? That would give an indication if something were to exist on the matter, or not.

For my take on Squibs, Jawas, and Noghri, I've been adding the following note to their stats:

Small Size: (species) have a Silhouette of 0.

But most of these are a good deal smaller than the human range. Leia may have been short compared to the other Heroes of Yavin, but she was still within the norm for Humans, and she towered over Wicket and the other Ewoks.

Donovan Morningfire said:

I'm trying to actually put a full PDF document together, but the rate things are going, I might just end up with a bunch of species traits that other people have come up with. preocupado.gif

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but I came to the conclusion that putting a lot of time into this is probably pointless, since at some point there would be an official book anyway. Lotta wasted time.

So I decided to sit back and see if the 3 I needed for my campaign where made, and if I thought they looked good and made sense. 2 of them were (Duros and Cathar)… so I chimed in with the things I was thinking about with the Chiss and got some better ideas for others anyway.

I think eventually there will be a pretty good reseource of these to use until real stuff comes out.

Don't forget about the Hutts happy.gif

Wulfherr said:

I see Hutts as an entirely NPC species that are neither balanced nor really intended for PC play. So while I appreciate the offer, I won't be including the giant slugs in the compilation file.

BrashFink said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but I came to the conclusion that putting a lot of time into this is probably pointless, since at some point there would be an official book anyway. Lotta wasted time.

So I decided to sit back and see if the 3 I needed for my campaign where made, and if I thought they looked good and made sense. 2 of them were (Duros and Cathar)… so I chimed in with the things I was thinking about with the Chiss and got some better ideas for others anyway.

I think eventually there will be a pretty good reseource of these to use until real stuff comes out.

Well Cyril and I are both self-avowed "tinker monkeys" and figured that if we're going to be doing this anyway, we might be able to save a lot of other folks some work in replicating various species from either the movies or previous editions of the RPG.

BrashFink said:

Well Cyril and I are both self-avowed "tinker monkeys" and figured that if we're going to be doing this anyway, we might be able to save a lot of other folks some work in replicating various species from either the movies or previous editions of the RPG.

I'm so glad you've embraced that term I tagged us with. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Wulfherr said:

I see Hutts as an entirely NPC species that are neither balanced nor really intended for PC play. So while I appreciate the offer, I won't be including the giant slugs in the compilation file.

I agree. I've never seen a Hutt played well as a PC race. The fact that they largely become immobile after a certain age doesn't lend itself well to adventuring on the Outer Rim. Hutts are NPCs and plot devices.

Cyril said:

Wulfherr said:

I agree. I've never seen a Hutt played well as a PC race. The fact that they largely become immobile after a certain age doesn't lend itself well to adventuring on the Outer Rim. Hutts are NPCs and plot devices.

Hey, I have a very well loved Hutt character that I play. When a lot of your adventures take place on starships, being low mobility isn't as much of an issue. And I'm only in my 120s, so I'll still slither my way there eventualy, I just have to set out for the track an hour earlier.

Na, your right, it takes a particular type of game to work with a Hutt PC, but it can happen.

Well, here's an updated list of what is on tap for species at this point:

Aqualish
Bith
Cathar
Chadra-Fan
Chiss
Devaronians
Duros
Ewoks
Falleen
Farghul
Gamorreans
Gran
Gungans
Ithorians
Jawas
Klatoonians
Kubaz
Mon Calamari
Nikto
Noghri
Quarren
Shistavanen
Squibs
Sullustans
Togorians
Togruta
Verpine
Zabraks
Zeltrons

Whew!

One species shy of hitting 30, at which point I think Cyril and I should do a final run through of the stats and then I'll move onto prettying it up (adding some flavor text and images for each of the species).

How about Weequay to put your book at 30?

Yancy

Gallandro said:

Yancy

I can't second this enough. They belong here! What about Ugnaughts?

$hamrock said:

Gallandro said:

Yancy

I honestly don't know how I missed the Weequay. I had the freaking Klatooninians in there, but not the Weequay. Great suggestion.

Cyril said:

$hamrock said:

Gallandro said:

Yancy

I honestly don't know how I missed the Weequay. I had the freaking Klatooninians in there, but not the Weequay. Great suggestion.

Honestly, one could argue that they have a place in the warriors book (republic book), where as Ugnaughts don't. Another species that would for sure be in this environment are the Kubaz.

$hamrock said:

Honestly, one could argue that they have a place in the warriors book (republic book), where as Ugnaughts don't. Another species that would for sure be in this environment are the Kubaz.

Already covered as per the list I posted earlier.

Already covered as per the list I posted earlier.

Dam, and I looked before I posted… Grrr!

I haven't had the time to do anything proper, but I was looking at the Noghri in the old WEG book alien encounter book (I think its called) … and looking at talents in EotE I thought feral strength might fit their martial art beard.

Thoughts?