Android rpg?

By eprieur, in Android

Yes! I want an Android RPG. Shadowrun is alright, but I don't want the fantasy and magic stuff. RIFTS is ridiculous, no thanks. I like Blade Runner, I like William Gibson, I like cyberpunk, but I love the Android setting. I want an Android RPG!

No, it isn't enough that I've got all the novels, Android, Infiltration, and Netrunner. I want more!

Android RPG would be great, with all the lore FFG created for Netrunner. I cannot wait to visit SanSan!

With the talk going around that CD Projekt Red finally going back to working on Cyberpunk 2077 (since The Witcher series is done...for now), it got me hankering some Cyberpunk 2020 action once again, and I immediately thought of Netrunner. And yeah, a Table Top RPG for Android would be awesome. So, out came my Appleseed Manga again, and I pulled out my Armitage III DVD box, and with the great success I had with getting my gaming group into Edge of the Empire, I can totally see them jumping into a C-punk by FFG. I hope it happens, one day.

I can only agree that I am a huge cyberpunk fan, and I really have been enjoying the Android novels and Android:Netrunner and Infiltration.

WE NEED ANDROID RPG!

I have all the Android stuff FFG released. 2 Board games, 5 Novels and the LCG with all its cycles, seems the logical evolution to this successful product line would be a Table-top Role Playing game, right? I wish FFG would give some word about it or at least news that it is interested in pursuing this avenue or not. This thread alone is almost three years old and I think we’ve waited long enough. Please give us hopeful fan boys (and girls) a sign, FFG.

I just want to add my opinion to all these others; an FFG Android RPG would be fantastic.

Please guys, if any of you read this, tear some of the guys away from SWRPG, and sic them on this for a while. I think they could sell the heck out of a cyberpunk setting with FFG's ease of play. Would be fantastic.

Where is it?

Seriously I would buy the game yesterday if something like that was out with a decent system. I've been waiting for a spiritual follower for cyberpunk 2020 for years.

Shadowrun continue like RPG but I want a ANDROID RPG anyway

Does anybody know how long a RPG takes from initial concept to production?

I am hoping now that they have done the three Star Wars games, that they will announce an Android RPG beta this Gencon.

They still have at least two books for "The End of the World" to do. There are still a bunch of Star Wars books yet to do. Warhammer 40K will probably get some more as well. I do not know if they have one group doing it all, or if they have freelancers working the games.

I would love to see an Android rpg! Right now, our group is getting ready to start an Eclipse Phase rpg. Cool future setting with some awesome philosophical ideas about what being a human really means. But man, it is rules dense. I add my voice to the Android rpg bandwagon.

I just wanted to jump in here and mention that now that FFG owns Legend of the Five Rings, I really like the idea of an Android RPG based on the Roll and Keep system that L5R uses.

I think the fact that they bought L5R means they will not be doing an Android RPG any time soon.

Now one nice thing about L5R is they own that IP. An Android RPG would be another licensed product. It would have been cool if they had bought the Android Netrunner IP.

FFG will have bought the L5R IP and CCG rules, that won't automatically include the RPG rules.

The android universe is an in-house IP, it's the netrunner CCG that is under license.

OK so I completely forget about this thread since I last posted on it. I am getting "The Worlds of Android" and using it to run a Savage Worlds Interface Zero 2.0 game which will be the perfect ruleset for this setting I think. Hopefully Worlds of Android will be like Guide to Glorantha where you can use it as a rules free game setting book for any game system you might want to try and work around it. Now just waiting for it to arrive!!!

OK so I completely forget about this thread since I last posted on it. I am getting "The Worlds of Android" and using it to run a Savage Worlds Interface Zero 2.0 game which will be the perfect ruleset for this setting I think. Hopefully Worlds of Android will be like Guide to Glorantha where you can use it as a rules free game setting book for any game system you might want to try and work around it. Now just waiting for it to arrive!!!

Hmm, interesting. I may consider something like that. Certainly have been knocking around picking up the Worlds book to adapt to...something.

Just another voice to say that an Android RPG would be an instant buy from me!

Hell yes. Guaranteed purchase.

Hell yes. Guaranteed purchase.

I almost never buy the "Special Editions" of games that come with all the premium stuff, in boxes, art poster, etc. I would buy this one.

I made an account JUST to post on this thread. I wanted an Android rpg from the first time I played Android: Netrunner. All the art and the concepts of the game hinted at a deep and fascinating world behind the card game, and with the work they've done with Star Wars EotE, AoR, and FaD, I think FFG is the perfect company to bring out a new sort of story-focused cyberpunk rpg. While other cyberpunk rpgs are highly focused on rules and simulation, FFG has created games that cause narration and story to flow naturally together with gameplay. With such an intricate and engaging setting, FFG could produce an amazing game, and I would jump at the opportunity to support a game like that.

I have my Android RPG book in hand now. It's called The Worlds of Android. Now I just need to figure out what dice system to wrap around it.

I'm totally turning green with envy that you have the Worlds of Android book. I missed the order on FFG and my FLGS wouldn't consider selling what they perceive to be an Art Book. (sigh)

Savage World's rules would be a total fit and FATE Core is free form enough to accommodate virtually any world to its system. I am however keen on using WFRP 3rd Ed's and FFG's Star Wars RPG proprietary dice because they're awesome. There is however, the rules issue of the Net and how to access it via a plethora of PADs in the Android universe. Slicer rules in spite of the additional rules in Special Modifications, the Technician's Sourcebook for EotE, are still painfully limited.

If you know of anyone who's done the work, give us a heads-up. In the meantime, I'm just leaving this here.

http://android-universe-fan.wikia.com/wiki/Android_Universe_Wiki

You got plenty of games out there to use.

From the classic Cyberpunk 2020 , really outdated nowadays, to new games such as The Sprawl , that uses the Powered by the Apocalypse engine. Not forgetting generic rulesets as FATE (i prefer FAE ), or more crunchy systems like Eclipse Phase .

Since you got all the setting info in the novels and the games already published, what you lack is just a system. I will recomend any light-ruled system that avoids tons of tables and complicated options and focus in the story. Thats what a RPG is suposed to be used for. If we want more crunchy rules we could always walk back to tabletop games (Android) or card games (Netrunner), but when is time for RPG the only rules we need are those that help us to create a good story.

I really hope they not do the same as in Edge of the Empire.

After playing a campaign using FFG Star Wars rules I really hope they do not go that way. Nor the Dark Heresy path, btw.

FFG focus on heavy rules, tons of classes, and all the stuff they are used to bring in their board games. But what is nice to board game is not always fine for RPG. So many rules to do things are a time-sink, and they really lack rules to create stories.

That was nice in the 90s, when there was no other options available, but these days such focus on numbers dilute the rpg experience. We have videogames for that, and they do it better. But when we want to roleplay all this junk only disturb and distract from the story.

Anyway, FFG keeps creating those rules-heavy very pretty books. Highly priced, and thinking always in how to sell us more books we dont know. Another book with character classes... another one with more programs to put into your console... and the Nth one about weapons... but no single book about how to properly create stories and make them fun. Well, they give you adventures.

At the end. A single book like, Dungeon World provides plenty more hours of adventure than all the Dark Heresy collection. But, hey!!, you got 20 colorful books!!

Does anybody know how long a RPG takes from initial concept to production?

You can just sit with your friends and start playing a new RPG just from minute zero.

Or... you can design one and be testing for years before it can be released at stores.

Best solution:

I have my Android RPG book in hand now. It's called The Worlds of Android. Now I just need to figure out what dice system to wrap around it.

As simple as that.

Take your favourite system. We got alreay tons of available data. We dont need another book that tells us what we already now.

And, based on how FFG handles rules systems, use easy to learn light rules that focus on stories.

Excellent points, PsiLAN.

FFG may have gone overboard with WFRP 3 rd Ed and inadvertently made roleplaying feel like a boardgame with all their fluff but they’ve learned from that mistake and streamlined those rules to come up with EotE, AoR and F&D Star Wars line of products that are just exciting to look at as books and intuitive to play as a game. I remain, the narrative dice system is awesome.

You and I are old school players. I've personally been playing RPGs since 83’ (That’s way before the terms like Tabletop or Pen & Paper were used in the industry) and like you have played a plethora of systems and have likewise noticed the trend towards rules-light games in favor of the narrative. Which, I agree is what roleplaying is all about. No one wants to number-crunch anymore and THAC0 seems to be a relic of a forgotten era. I’m all for it! But like you said…

“Colorful Books”, Man! :D

Cyberpunk 2020, Shadowrun, Gamma World, Ex Machina, Interface Zero, Eclipse Phase, Nova Praxis, Dystopia Rising, Numenara, Fragged Empire, Infinity RPG and The Sprawl are all excellent RPG books on the dystopian and cyberpunk milieu and despite my using the FATE core system for my own dystopian universe, I still want to see what FFG comes up with because it’s their proprietary world.

That being said, does anyone know which online store carry the “Worlds of Android” book?

Edited by Deen Dough

New article up on the homepage, whilst mainly about Netrunner, mentions how android as an IP is enjoying a healthy growth spurt. Perhaps an RPG in the future is becoming more likely?