Android rpg?

By eprieur, in Android

Where is it?

Seriously I would buy the game yesterday if something like that was out with a decent system. I've been waiting for a spiritual follower for cyberpunk 2020 for years.

I will 100% pick this up. I was a big R.Talsorian Cyberpunk 2020 player and the game got stale.

The Android universe seriously has taken its place in my book.

The novels realy increase my want for a new Cyperpunk/Bladerunner world..

Cmmon FFg…!

I would love to see a pnprpg set for the Android universe. It would make a solid replacement for Cyberpunk 2nd or 3rd edition or even Shadowrun in my opinion.

Honestly they have expanded this product so much (with all the novels and the different games) an RPG is just a matter of time. I am with you that I would rather see sooner than later and also like the rest of you guys I am a HUGE punk 2020 fan. The game is in a huge need of a update and I think this is just the setting to replace or move it to. I for one cant wait to see a Android rpg.

neonbasschild said:

Honestly they have expanded this product so much (with all the novels and the different games) an RPG is just a matter of time. I am with you that I would rather see sooner than later and also like the rest of you guys I am a HUGE punk 2020 fan. The game is in a huge need of a update and I think this is just the setting to replace or move it to. I for one cant wait to see a Android rpg.

Sold!

I could totally see an Android RPG working, though I think with the current RPG market like it is that something with a heavy storytelling mechanic might be the best route. It would harken back to some of what FFG was doing with the board game, help set it apart from the stats heavy cyberpunk material, and even offer an alternative to the Warhammer 40K material they also publish.

I wasn't aware of the Android setting until I saw Infiltration, Netrunner and the board game at GenCon. The more I play and read, the more I want to see this come out as a PnP rpg. Definitely a spiritual successor to Cyberpunk, and a more sci-fi/less fantasy alternative to shadowrun.

Just wanted to add my voice to the support of an Android RPG.

I totally agree ! That would be great, even if Android is already a kind of "board RPG", with many story elements in it.

alecoi01 said:

I totally agree ! That would be great, even if Android is already a kind of "board RPG", with many story elements in it.

Throwing my vote in for an Android RPG too!

Great idea! I've been looking for a good Cyberpunk RPG for my group and Shadowrun doesn't really interest me. I'm a much bigger fan of the Android universe. If an Android RPG was more abstract / story driven than rules heavy that would be even better!

I'd buy it in a flash, for what that's worth.

I'd love to play a straight-up cyberpunk rpg, and I think the whole dice pool system in WFRP and edge of the empire would probably work pretty well.

Either that or something very rules light…

As soon as I dug into the new Star Wars rpg today, my brain was screaming "WHY ISN'T THIS FOR ANDROID!" I have been such a cyberpunk fan for so long I feel like fantasy flight is finally giving me the games I have been wanting to play this whole time. Now they need to get this awesome idea going and give me the RPG I should have been playing 16 years ago.

Wha??? What new Star Wars RPG?

LynchMob said:

Wha??? What new Star Wars RPG?

The Star Wars RPG released from this beautiful company of course…..http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=224&enmi=Star%20Wars:%20Edge%20of%20the%20Empire%20Beginner%20Game

darth_ugly said:

I'd love to play a straight-up cyberpunk rpg, and I think the whole dice pool system in WFRP and edge of the empire would probably work pretty well.

Either that or something very rules light…

Yeah after reading the star wars edge of the empire beginneers game I also thought that it would be well fit for a cyberpunk system I think. It's already gun heavy and some cybernetic already exist in the current sw system. You also already have rules that seem to work for vehicule/starship combat so you can do stuff like mad max vehicule combat off the bat. All that in 15 pages of rules and with a very refreshing to use dice system.

The ready to run scenario is very cool to get into the game in 5-10 minutes or less. I would see something like that working very well for a netrunner rpg where they set up a small backstory and drag you into a game.

In SW there is slicing and it's only a skill that let you do stuff with computer. There is always a risk of "overdoing it" in netrunner/cyberpunk I think. It then turn into it's own side game and can really detract I feel from an easy going adventure.

But, there are ways to go around it, kinda like a pilot is better at piloting then the fighter in the group, a runner is better at running but the other players can still do runs/slice if they want. Which mean that the GM can design scenarios without risking that 2 hours be spent on 1 player running a data fort while the other players do nothing.

Example: You have 4 players in a hallway, the door is locked. The runner jack inside the network and try to open the door which would mean a skill check. Depending on results (success might mean the door is opened but threat could mean a silent alarm which activated an ICE program). Player 2 could say I will go help the player A/runner with the ICE and jack in while the other 2 guard the door. Then after 1 round or immedialtly, the ICE triggers an armed response and guards appears at the end of the corridor. Now at that point many things can happen, the runner can stay jacked in and fight the ICE to try to open the door still or do some other action on the network alone or with player B while player C and D are fighting a meat battle with armed guards. Both battles happens simultaneously at the same speed. In a pure meat battle the runner would pull a gun and fight alongside his partners and in pure network battle everyone could jack in and fight multiple ICEs to get inside a fort. Anyway, I hope they do something but writing this game me some ideas…

I recently started playing Netrunner, and today I picked up the novel Free Fall. I would love to see this as a pnp rpg!!! It could beat out Shadowrun with the right system behind it, especially for those who would prefer a straight scifi non fantasy game!!

I totally agree with all of you.

I've always been interested in the whole cyber-rpg world. And Android makes a great setting.

So, where is the rpg ?

Smart money says that'll be the big announcement at this year's In Flight Report at GenCon.

I'm with everybody else though: How is this not a thing already???

Just adding my voice to the crowd. Android RPG please!!! Make it happen FFG. I know you can and want to do it :D

Dunno about an RPG.

The boardgame is one of my all time favorite but i m not sure another cyberpunkish RPG is needed.

neonbasschild said:

What do you call expand the product? Android the board game was "flop" sellwise due to people expecting some kind of cluedo and not a game where you forge the culprit. That s why they havent created any expansion unlike Mansion of madness Twilight imperium AH etc etc.

creating a new universe for Infiltration would have been too costy so they used the android setup same with Netrunner.

I havent read the books so i cant judge these but i can see like 3times more arkham horror novels that there is for android.

As a big fan of the cyberpunk genre, I'd love to see an Android RPG as well. Your design, art and layout skills alone would put most other such games to shame. It's been ages since anything's been done with classic (non-magical ala Shadowrun) cyberpunk, although Cyberpunk 2077 is set for release in 2015. Except nobody really knows what a tabletop Cyberpunk 2077 game would look like. Something a bit lighter on rules than CP2020 but still containing a lot of cyber options, would be great.

We have the card game, the board games and the novels. The final and logical evolution to this world would be a RPG core rulebook that incorporates the cards into its virtual battle system.

I’ve been forced to play Shadowrun for the longest time but what I truly am is a huge fan of Cyberpunk 2020. The hard sci-fi, high-tech dystopian future genre, to my mind, may only be successfully achieved WITHOUT magic and a lot of virtual reality and chrome. I’ve also played Ex Machina and Interface Zero but none captures the genre like your Android universe.

Make it happen FFG.

Edited by Deen Dough

I've been itching to try an RPG from FFG as the systems they use look very interesting, but so far none of their settings are quite to my tastes. Their new Star Wars RPGs are an exception to this, but I just can't rationalize pouring money into a new SWRPG when I already have the complete run of Saga Edition. On the other hand, I totally dig the Android universe. If FFG makes an Android RPG I would buy it day one for sure.

Guess I was wrong about the Android RPG being announced at the In-Flight Report at GenCon. Honestly really surprised. But with the Edge of the Empire RPG being a much more grounded "world" than the Jedi-happy editions from WotC (not that I didn't enjoy being a Jedi!) it'd be pretty easy to use the EotE system to play in the Android universe.