Android rpg?

By eprieur, in Android

Back in the day, R. Talsorian came up with Rache Bartmoss’ Brainware Blowout, a sourcebook for the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG. Basically, it tries to integrate the Netrunner CCG into the CP 2020 RPG with some cool effects in the game. Like the old integration, some AN LCG cards will be too powerful in most RPG campaigns. At the end of the day, it’s all up to the GM what gets allowed in your games.

FFG has come out with game board systems that are truly engaging and with an already existing, narrative focused RPG system, an Android Netrunner RPG incorporating the LCG shouldn't be outside its firm reach.

So, what say you FFG?

I doubt that any theoretical Android RPG would incorporate the LCG into its play mechanics. Requiring players to invest in the LCG in order to enjoy the full experience of the RPG could be a huge turn off for a lot of people who have no interest in LCGs. Also, the playstyle of the LCG and your typical RPG have a very different appeal, even if there is overlap in their respective audiences. At most, I would expect to see a lot of artwork and lore from the LCG reused in an RPG product. Although, it would be cool to see some of the concepts from the LCG represented in the RPG's netrunning mechanics - just without the use of the cards.

You're right. I guess asking for the Android Netrunner LCG to be incorporated into the Android RPG as an integral part of its gameplay mechanic is way too much work for both FFG and its fans to swallow. But hey! The fanboys can hope, right?

It’s just amazing when you realize that the art on certain cards are the protagonists on the novels. Or the characters on the boardgame are on flavor texts of some cards. The cross-reference of elements in different products only makes you want to walk the streets of the Android world. Ya know what I mean, chombatta?

Yeah, I really love all the cross-references. Don't forget Infiltration , too!

Just to reiterate, I would totally buy an Android RPG from FFG. ^_^

I'd buy two copies. ;)

I'd be on it like white on rice.

Being a fan of Cyberpunk and Shadowrun, having another rpg join that pantheon would be excellent, and the Android setting via Netrunner is growing on me with a rush. Would like to see HB, Weyland, 'Teki, and NBN become remembered names in the 'punk genre lexicon up there with Ares, Arasaka, etc.

Look here, FFG, you've got people lining up to throw money at you.

Edited by Deathseed

Here's hoping that the success of the Plugged-In Tour for A:NR raises awareness of the potentially huge success an Android RPG could be. ^_^

I love the Android board game. I also own Netrunner, but haven't been able to play much yet. I've enjoyed reading the novels Free Fall and Golem and just got Mimic . I would preorder an Android RPG right now if it were announced.

I've played Shadowrun off and on since it came out in 1989, but enjoy the Android world so much that I would certainly welcome changing my RPG preference. I too hope to see one in the near future.

Yes, I would buy an Android rpg too. Please, FFG :)

I will 100% pick this up. I was a big R.Talsorian Cyberpunk 2020 player and the game got stale.

The Android universe seriously has taken its place in my book.

The novels realy increase my want for a new Cyperpunk/Bladerunner world..

Cmmon FFg…!

There's a new Shadowrun out and personally, I like how the Matrix is handled better than the Net. Disallow Races, Magic, and maybe Technomancers and you got a game.

I'd buy two copies. ;)

Second that!

I was playing the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game a few weeks ago and got to think that that kind of game could translate pretty well to game universe like Android. While not strictly an RPG, it has some of the trappings of an RPG and has a great potential to recreate some of the story-telling aspects of Android.

I would imagine a game with decks for each of the characters, which could be altered from game to game over a campaign depending on decisions/outcomes from each game. Each game could be about investigating a particular crime or other event that fits into an overall conspiracy. So it could be like a game of Android, but broken into a series of individual scenarios that could be played out of a longer period of time.

That's my thought, anyway. I figured this was the most appropriate place to bring it up.

A brilliant series of articles. I was aware of Traveller in the late 1970s (or whenever it first came out) but never played it. If there are two different versions out there do you recommend either one? But it does sound like Eclipse Phase is the way to go.

Android RPG totally needs to happen! FFG I hope you're seeing this!

It's obvious, that FFG isn't interested in releasing an Android based RPG. I think the boardgame was less of a success than they hoped for. Thank god, Netrunner came along and saved the day.

And it got me thinking again - as for the upcoming International Tabletop Day on April 5th we will play the boardgame - why doesn't the community create something like that? Come on guys, we have all the fantastic background here we need, maybe use the custom dice system borrowed from Starwars and - BAM - we got our nice and smooth Android RPG.

I will 100% pick this up. I was a big R.Talsorian Cyberpunk 2020 player and the game got stale.

The Android universe seriously has taken its place in my book.

The novels realy increase my want for a new Cyperpunk/Bladerunner world..

Cmmon FFg…!

There's a new Shadowrun out and personally, I like how the Matrix is handled better than the Net. Disallow Races, Magic, and maybe Technomancers and you got a game.

Right on! Cyberpunk without fantasy races and magic. Yeah!

I'm really surprised that ffg haven't already either announced or are considered an android rpg. If there's going to be one I would like to forward myself and my group as playtesters.

Ooh ooh! We want to be playtesters too. : :D

I agree deen. If anyone is listening at ffg please can you make this game a reality and make sure mine and deen's group help with play testing please.

Also my vote for an Android RPG.

FFG - get started!

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!! I would really like an Android rpg also. I have the board game and Net runner and really like them both. Come to think of it. I own a lot of FF games and love them all. The Star Wars rpg is a big hit at my gaming table and we also have warhammer fantasy. Make Android rpg a reality please!

I hope they make this happen!

Bummer, I came over here to check out info on the Android: Free Fall book that just went up on DriveThruRPG and just found this over two and a half year old thread. The age of this thread makes me think it is unlikely.

I wonder if the book was listed in the RPG site by mistake, or are they planning on a new game?

They just added an Android section on the publisher page.

The first link on the DriveThruRPG (The RPG site).

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/6/Fantasy-Flight-Games

The Android page.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/6/Fantasy-Flight-Games/subcategory/36_22993/Android

Man, if we could just get an announcement, I would get the book to check out the setting.

One question, what is a good reader for ePub or Mobi on Windows 7?