A New Arkham Investigations Website

By OldManWhateley, in Fan Creations

amikezor said:

very nice, keep it coming !

Thanks amikezor! In addition to writing the latest casebook, I have decided to fully prop my own Arkham Horror game. I absolutely love the Eldritch Dice Tower, and it looks wonderful next to the board! As I find other great props on the internet, I shall add them to the web site.

Cheers, Old Man Whateley

Looking good man.

Now if I can just shake this bug and feel like pounding the keyboard I got a lot of catching up to do :)

Hey OldManWhately. If you are willing to host peoples' custom content on the website, would you kindly put mine up, too? It's called Dark Corners of the Earth and all the material is found on BBG here: javascript:void(0);/*1343705410387*/

I'll be putting up a mirror for DARK CORNERS as well, Musha…just have to finish a few web pages and pay my domain name renewals.

And yes, still here guys…I have had the worst luck this year at 'chasing ghosts' I believe the wife calls it…

First I'm running all over the place tracking down AH custom content then I switch over to put in a quick survey for the other journal I'm publishing and get mired in a mudhole over a game that has 6 versions 9 owners and none of them getting along (or so it would seem)…jeeeez…I really know how to pick'em.

Now I wait for tomorrow when a vote goes down on a sales tax to fund road projects and if it passes I might be dropping off the earth for awhile (our house is in the kill zone) due to packing down 10 years worth of clutter from our stay here. Ugh…

Anyway, good gaming everybody and yes I'm still collating notes for the first edition of DARKNESS OVER DUNWICH…the first edition will cover what I loosely term 'The Dark Pharaoh Campaign' covering all the material, commercial and custom, that is available.

Ok, must stop typing…fingers hurt…things are lurking in the corner…oh…wait…that's just my lack of sleep trying to sneak up on me…never mind… :)

Hello,

this is my first post in Arkham forums, although I enjoy Arkham Horror since 2006.

First of all I want to thank OldManWhateley for his Arkham Investigations website and everyone who contributed to it!

A couple of questions:

- is there some news about casebooks? In this thread there are a couple cited that should be work in progress.

- any advice to print the custom material (cards, monsters, etc.)? Some good online print service?

Thanks again

Bye

hello and happy new year!

is this thread dead?

any news?

this thread dies and ressurects once a year ;-)

Ah, greeting all! I have away for some time (a year perhaps) due to illness, but I have slowly recovered and returned finally to the land of the living!

I have not forsaken my Arkahm Horror project - and have kept up the website - though there has been no new material posted since last summer. I was far too sick to be able to work on any material. However, I am about to post the finalized latest case book entitled, The Terrible House that I began last year. Also, I have the basics worked out for another case book to be begun next week.

In addition, I see some posts asking questions - please give me a few days to catch up and all will be answered!

Hey OldManWhately. If you are willing to host peoples' custom content on the website, would you kindly put mine up, too? It's called Dark Corners of the Earth and all the material is found on BBG here: javascript:void(0);/*1343705410387*/

I can certainly do that! I will add them to the website, probably with a link to the BBG page where they may be downloaded.

Hello,

this is my first post in Arkham forums, although I enjoy Arkham Horror since 2006.

First of all I want to thank OldManWhateley for his Arkham Investigations website and everyone who contributed to it!

A couple of questions:

- is there some news about casebooks? In this thread there are a couple cited that should be work in progress.

- any advice to print the custom material (cards, monsters, etc.)? Some good online print service?

Thanks again

Bye

As I mentioned in my post above, I will be finishing The Terrible House and should have it posted within a week. I have not had the pleasure of playtesting it, so please let me know of any mistakes found.

After posting The Terrible House, I am going to begin a new case book called Escape from Innsmouth . I already have the notes for writing the case book and hope to have it completed very soon.

As far as printing custom materials, I suggest using card stock paper and a good pc printer.

Edited by OldManWhateley

I am very close to finishing the new case book, The Terrible House. I hope to play test it right away, but will post it on the website straight off. Once it is posted and someone plays it, I would very much like feedback as tho mistakes and errors so that I can post a revision!

Edited by OldManWhateley

On the Links page of my Arkham Horror site, is the link to a French page called La Page des Créations which can be found here: http://wiki.horreuraarkham.fr/index.php?title=La_Page_des_Cr%C3%A9ations

At the bottom of the page are two case books written, of course, in French. I am trying to translate one of them, called L'Appel du Vide written by amikezor. The other is entitled, Dans l'Abîme du Temps ( aut. BukarooB). I would very much like any help in translating these so that I may post them - with the completion of The Terrible House and the translation of these two case books, that would bring the number of case books to a solid seven in all!

I have wanted to use some sort of campaign rules for Arkham Investigations for some time. I did find a set of campaign rules over on BBG for use in Arkham Horror - so I modified them a bit for use with case books and posted it today on the Expansions page of the website: http://arkhaminvestigation.onlinewebshop.net/expansions.html

At the bottom of the page are two case books written, of course, in French. I am trying to translate one of them, called L'Appel du Vide written by amikezor.

Maybe, I can help :-)

At the bottom of the page are two case books written, of course, in French. I am trying to translate one of them, called L'Appel du Vide written by amikezor.

That would be great, Amikezor! My French is terrible and using Google translate only butchers it further :)

I am have great news too! I finished the new case book, The Terrible House; all I need to do now is to transfer it over to pdf and proof-read before posting it on the website. I cannot yet play-test the case book yet (as I lost my group of players while I fell sick), so I am hoping to be able to catch any mistakes simply by reading. I hope to have the case book posted by tomorrow!

That would be great, Amikezor! My French is terrible and using Google translate only butchers it further :)

I actually already started to translation last year. I can certainly do a first version and send it to you.

best

Alright! The new case book, The Terrible House , is finished! I ended up rewriting the case book with an entirely different plot that what I had initially intended. The new case book is posted on the web site and available for download here: http://arkhaminvestigation.onlinewebshop.net/cases.html

I am hoping to play test the case book this week, but I would appreciate any feed back - especially of any mistakes found. To prevent spoilers, please sent me a Pm with your feedback :)

Cheers!

With the completion of The Terrible House (minus a revision to fix mistakes), I am now off to begin the new casebook, Escape from Innsmouth . I believe this casebook will be easy to write and finish, as I have all the notes and preliminary stuff for it already. I hope to have the first draft/version completed within two weeks - lets us see how fast and long into the cold dark nights I can type frantically as if Cthulhu himself was chasing me ...

I have also come up with some more prop ideas. Once I finish them, I will post them on the website.Here is a rundown of what I am working on:

• I always used atmospheric music when running my Call of Cthulhu rpg game. I am doing the same now for Arkham Horror. So, I am working on a playlist of music I will be using. It truly adds ambiance to the game to have some very creepy Lovecraftian music playing in the background...
  • I am going to begin having players dress up in costumes while we play (ie. 1920's vintage clothes). I am looking for a very good vintage 1920's suit for myself :)
  • Candles, candles and more candles instead of lights.

I posted on the AI website, but not sure if that gets monitored, so I'll post my question here too...

Hi, Tonight I will be playing The Haunting (v3) with my group. This will be our first outing with Arkham Investigations. Looking at the set up, it says to put Spy monsters in the cup. Am I missing a token sheet? I don’t have any Spies (other the Trish Scarborough, and she’s certainly not monstrous!)

I posted on the AI website, but not sure if that gets monitored, so I'll post my question here too...

Hi, Tonight I will be playing The Haunting (v3) with my group. This will be our first outing with Arkham Investigations. Looking at the set up, it says to put Spy monsters in the cup. Am I missing a token sheet? I don’t have any Spies (other the Trish Scarborough, and she’s certainly not monstrous!)

Sorry MaddMatt, while I was recouperating over the year, I did little with the AI website. However, I did recently reply to your question but will add here as well.

The Spy monster in the casebook was a mistake - it is an example monster using the Strange Aeons program; simply ignore it.

Should The Haunting paragraph 35 end the game?

Also, the Tome, Corbitt's Diary has the wrong paragraph numbers on it.

Edited by MaddMatt

So, we played The Haunting tonight, our first Arkham Investigations game. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the game, but it had issues (or we were doing something wrong :) ). We did go around 10 consecutive turns without rolling the requirement to move the timeline on, so that probably didn't help. The story telling aspect was great, but we rarely felt under pressure. I think we finished the story (see previous post), but continued playing, we were certain that the "Vignette complete" or "Investigation complete' text was missing, so continued playing under the assumption it was the vignette that was complete. Looking back, probably ended in a success when we offed the walking dead in his basement. Looking forward to playing the other cases.

Cheers!

So, we played The Haunting tonight, our first Arkham Investigations game. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the game, but it had issues (or we were doing something wrong :) ). We did go around 10 consecutive turns without rolling the requirement to move the timeline on, so that probably didn't help. The story telling aspect was great, but we rarely felt under pressure. I think we finished the story (see previous post), but continued playing, we were certain that the "Vignette complete" or "Investigation complete' text was missing, so continued playing under the assumption it was the vignette that was complete. Looking back, probably ended in a success when we offed the walking dead in his basement. Looking forward to playing the other cases.

Cheers!

Yes the casebook ends on paragraph 35.

Ah, I was not aware of the entry mistake on Corbitt's Diary - I will fix that and upload a new card tomorrow.

With the other issues of the casebook, I will look into it tomorrow as well. One question: the lack of pressure - is this about not enough of threats that makes it so?

Cheers!

Yes the casebook ends on paragraph 35.

Ah, I was not aware of the entry mistake on Corbitt's Diary - I will fix that and upload a new card tomorrow.

With the other issues of the casebook, I will look into it tomorrow as well. One question: the lack of pressure - is this about not enough of threats that makes it so?

I think it was the down to the long time between timeline events (it was Day 4 we were stuck on). I imagine, had the timeline advanced more promptly, we would have felt a lot of pressure. I'm thinking of adding a token to the timeline each time it doesn't advance and advancing automatically when there are 3 tokens, remove tokens when the timeline advances. We managed to see off Walter in a single round of combat (1 blessed investigator with a bunch of magical weapons, and 1 with a fairly high Fight rating). Like I say, it was a very enjoyable experience, the house was particularly creepy and actually sent one of us Insane (we were 3 players), thanks to a particularly grizzly incident in the kitchen.

We did have some other thoughts. In the casebook, around the Corbitt House, there were a number of paragraphs that read, "Nothing happens, read paragraph x" They felt awkward and seemingly pointless, ie ,why couldn't the previous paragraph point us to paragraph x? And yeah, perhaps the threat level of the enemy was a little low, but I guess it served the narrative well. I was thinking of maybe adding a couple of other undead to the basement encounter, just a couple of Zombies, which would force investigators to split their dice pool. That would make Walter much more of a challenge.

Any suggestions for a second Investigation?

Editted for grammar.

Edited by MaddMatt

Thank you for the feedback, MaddMatt - I will review the casebook and see if there are any changes that can be implemented with it (especially about the "nothing happens" portions).

I would suggest either tackling Whispers in Darkness or Dark Dreams of Dagon as your next investigation.