Charge

By dl757477, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

Quick clarification, a unit with the Charge ability, can do a Move + Move, then attack at range 1 or C. Can the unit also perform one additonal move action for a total of 3 squares before it attacks?

No, used to be able to in the original rules though, but they changed it for some unknown reason.

Just think of it as the unit still being able to attack, after using all of its actions to simply move. Only this attack is limited to C and 1 weapons.

Loophole Master said:

Just think of it as the unit still being able to attack, after using all of its actions to simply move. Only this attack is limited to C and 1 weapons.

Range C or Range 1

The reason it was changed is likely the fact that Markus and his unit have both Charge and Fast. Under the old rules they could run 4 squares and then fight in close combat.

Another probably obvious question, Range 1 and C both allow for simultaneous attacks from the defending troops?

dl757477 said:

Another probably obvious question, Range 1 and C both allow for simultaneous attacks from the defending troops?

Nope. Rules just say CC weapons allow strikebacks. Imagine if Joe could charge. He would shoot his pistol before actually engaging with his knife... or at least I would... =)

It would be great to have a flamethrower unit with Charge. But I guess Charge only really makes sense with "melee" weapons like the turbo gloves or kampzange, as you're really just pouncing on your opponent.

Loophole Master said:

It would be great to have a flamethrower unit with Charge. But I guess Charge only really makes sense with "melee" weapons like the turbo gloves or kampzange, as you're really just pouncing on your opponent.

Charging in many wargames means 'move and attack in melee' but that isn't the full definition, nor is DUST so limited.

Charge is moving full out to close and attack the enemy at short range, so as soon as the Allies get a hero with Charge, the Hell Boys and BBQ Squads will be feeling some serious love, as all of their weapons fall under the 'Range 1 or C' limitation.

I think an ally hero with Charge would just about break the game, whatever armor level it is. Hell Boys or BBQ charging would be a fearsome sight, and the Hammers would be zipping from side to side, punching people. Move 4 squares, attack.

I agree. I think the only way we're seeing an Allied hero with charge is if they have a attribute or ability that makes them ineligible to lead any of the current armor 2 or 3 units.

I'm hoping they keep it a squad skill instead of a hero skill, because, as you both noted, it would be obnoxious for some units.

I worry less about the Hammers, though they are a threat, but a Hell Boys or BBQ Squad moving three and unleashing their flamethrowers and shotguns would be very nasty to face every turn.

Just thought I'd run this by you guys. Last match, the axis player had the Loth charge a lone tank trap, moving twice then trying to destroy it. That's ok, right? I was a bit doubtful, as maybe Charge could only be used against an opponent, but by my reading of the rules, you could use it against a neutral obstacle like a tank trap, ammo crate or destructible wall.

Loophole Master said:

Just thought I'd run this by you guys. Last match, the axis player had the Loth charge a lone tank trap, moving twice then trying to destroy it. That's ok, right? I was a bit doubtful, as maybe Charge could only be used against an opponent, but by my reading of the rules, you could use it against a neutral obstacle like a tank trap, ammo crate or destructible wall.

It's a target you can attack, so I see nothing to stop you from charging it, and it makes sense a unit would do that to try and take out an obstacle quickly.

Gimp said:

Loophole Master said:

It's a target you can attack, so I see nothing to stop you from charging it, and it makes sense a unit would do that to try and take out an obstacle quickly.

Agree. Friday I charged an infantry unit taking cover in a tank trap, There's no reason why I couldn't have just attacked the tank trap instead... except it is more fun to "pinch" some Allied infantry than to break cement. =)

Hello,

I have one more question about the charge :

When you play charge, does it take a full activation of the unit or is it simply one action?

Exemple :

May I make a first action with Charge, then a second with attack (or move)?

Or

May I just make a charge with my unit and after that it's finish with his actions?

Thanks!

You can only use Charge after performing two Move actions. Since units only have 2 actions per activation, that means you must use your full activation on movement to add the extra Charge attack action at the end of it.

The exception to this, however, comes with the NCO Squad's Stimulant Kit, which gives a unit 4 actions for their next activation. In that specific case the units can perform 2 Move actions, Charge, and then still have 2 actions to do something else (possibly another 2 Moves+Charge).

charge happens only after your unit makes 2 move actions.

ok thank you for your answers!

Charge (which includes both movement and attack) takes up the full activation.

im really confused the rule states

A unit with this skill can charge forward at a blistering pace! When a unit uses this skill,
perform a fight action with all of its range 1 or range C weapons after
performing two move actions. A hero with this skill shares it with any squad he joins

Because of bold in the rules it only makes sense that the skill itself allows for 2 move actions thus you still have one action either before or after to move or attack.

unless i am missing a FAQ rule change ?

thoughts?

Nothing changed there, not for a year anyway. Just make 2 Move actions and get a free Attack action at the end of it.

What I am saying is that the skill provides you with two move actions and an attack that's why the whole thing is written In bold. Thus markus and the apes could move use fast then use charge giving a total movement of 4. I realize that most people in this thread don seem to read it that way and I am wondering if I missed a rule that contradicts the way the charge rule is written.

The unit can only move 3 though, Charge no longer gives a move bonus, just an Attack action after the movement.

When did It change? The rule I quoted was from the revised rulebook