No news is... not good news?

By lingster, in X-Wing

Ah yes. Now that you mention it, DogSolitude, it does indeed seem like a cut-and-paste response.

Budgernaut said:

Ah yes. Now that you mention it, DogSolitude, it does indeed seem like a cut-and-paste response.

Which doesn't surprise me. Best way to keep someone from accidentally letting out more information than you want is to not give them a choice on how to answer stuff. The canned response is like a deflector shield.

IG-58 said:

I honestly don't know why everyone is pre-ordering this, especially in bulk . That seems a little reckless. I'm not preordering JACK; I'll wait until I see it in the stores, I'll look at the box and the models and see if it's even worth my time & money to get started. It's not like you won't be able to find any!

Well, I can only answer for myself, obviously, but my reasons for pre-ordering are:

The ships APPEAR to be well done (at least much better than the bendy WotC crap)

The rules APPEAR to be pretty straight-forward and fun (based on the demo videos)

The minis and rules seem to be at least 'spiritual' successors to Wings of War, which I liked

Even if the rules turn out to suck, there are plenty of other rules I could use decent SW ships with

As for pre-ordering in BULK, well…I suffer from delusions of grandure. I always picture huge epic battles in my head, even if they rarely materialize.

Also, like the previous poster mentioned, one third off at MM and free shipping suckered me in to increasing the size of my order.

And I always go overboard. Always. :(

EDIT: I should add that FFGs handling of this release thus far isn't making me happy or confident, but all I want is OT anyway, so if this dies not long after release of the second wave (assuming we ever get the first) I'll be ok with that…or at least be able to deal with it.

I think it's safe to say that the game will be out for GenCon. Hopefully the SW LCG will be, too.

qwertyuiop said:

I think it's safe to say that the game will be out for GenCon.

One would think, though I wouldn't place any bets at this point.

The main reason I preordered everything was because of the Star Wars name gran_risa.gif

The other reason was that my online store of choice had money off if you preordered all the expansion packs in one order. I'm sure the quality will be magnificent though, so I don't really have any worries.

Just got an email from Miniature Market and got all excited, but it was just a commercial. enfadado.gif

Here's a question, while I've got X-Wing on my mind: do we know for certain that there's not gonna be any fold-out poster map in the box? If not, I'd expect FFG to start advertising their official battle mat… but there's been no mention of one so far.

The fact that they say there will be 'scenarios' leads me to think there must be some sort of optional maps. I mean, different combinations of ships aren't exactly scenarios .

Ah well, one more thing to sit around and wonder about…

I. J. Thompson said:

Just got an email from Miniature Market and got all excited, but it was just a commercial. enfadado.gif

Here's a question, while I've got X-Wing on my mind: do we know for certain that there's not gonna be any fold-out poster map in the box? If not, I'd expect FFG to start advertising their official battle mat… but there's been no mention of one so far.

The fact that they say there will be 'scenarios' leads me to think there must be some sort of optional maps. I mean, different combinations of ships aren't exactly scenarios .

In the meantime….did you get that computer fixed??? lengua.gif

Dog Solitude said:

I. J. Thompson said:

In the meantime….did you get that computer fixed??? lengua.gif

Good Sir, I downloaded the program you suggested, and am currently firing on all cylinders! Provided we don't hit 30+ degrees over here, I am good to go.

Vassal? gran_risa.gif

I might point out that you don't need a map to have different scenarios. A scenario may consist of something like "A TIE Fighter Pilot wants to defect. The pilot must start on the east side of the board and exit the west side of the board. The rest of the TIE Pilots must stop him by destroying him. The X-Wing must defend the defector." Or something like that.

bsmith13 said:

I might point out that you don't need a map to have different scenarios. A scenario may consist of something like "A TIE Fighter Pilot wants to defect. The pilot must start on the east side of the board and exit the west side of the board. The rest of the TIE Pilots must stop him by destroying him. The X-Wing must defend the defector." Or something like that.

That's an awesome scenario! Did you come up with that all by yourself, or was it inspired from another game? I'm currently trying to come up with scenarios for Starship Battles to make it more interesting while I wait (and wait) for X-wing.

Sort of by myself, but not completely. I seem to remember playing something like that on the computer version of X-Wing, which seems full of scenario ideas.

Yeah, most of my Starship Battles scenario ideas come from the TIE fighter computer game, like inspecting a convoy of freighters for Rebels or illegal paraphernalia. That one probably won't work so well in X-wing, but as you've demonstrated, there are probably other ideas that will be a perfect fit.

And we seem to have totally changed the direction of this thread. Oh well.

Parakitor said:

There are worse crimes in this world . . . like leaving your fan base hanging for so long. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Budgernaut said:

Parakitor said:

There are worse crimes in this world . . . like leaving your fan base hanging for so long. gui%C3%B1o.gif

+1

bsmith13 said:

I might point out that you don't need a map to have different scenarios.

Oh, I know - I only mentioned scenarios because a map, which is my principal interest, could certainly be used for such. I'm talking about presentation, here. Asking us to play this game on a bare table seems kind of lame and is pretty incongruous, given FFG's reputation for including attractive and high-quality components in their games. Also, I'd expect Lucas Licensing to frown on this as well, as such an underwhelming presentation could reflect badly on the brand. A simple fold-out poster map, even if it only has stars on it, would solve the problem and be cheap as dirt to produce.

I know there are thousands of do-it-yourself solutions, but that's not what I'm asking about. Again, do we know that there won't be a poster map in the box?

I. J. Thompson said:

bsmith13 said:

Also, I'd expect Lucas Licensing to frown on this as well, as such an underwhelming presentation could reflect badly on the brand.

Err, like the prequals did?

;) <ducking>

Baphomet69 said:

Err, like the prequals did?

;) <ducking>

I just want to point out (and this isn't directed at you in particular) that when the special editions were released, we still had lots of fans up in arms about it -- and they were the same movies!

I mean, sure there were a few tweaks here and there, but it was well over 90% the same, I'd say.

We Star Wars fans really are such a tough lot to please, aren't we? ;)

Han shot first! :P

;)

I agree.

But that's too short for the forum to allow as a post . . .