No news is... not good news?

By lingster, in X-Wing

borithan said:

Parakitor said:

FYI: the "At the printer" list is in alphabetical order. Wasn't sure if you were kidding or not, Budgernaut.

But yeah, with the prospect of The Lord of the Rings LEGOs AND Star Wars: The Old Republic LEGOs this summer, combined with a lack of news from FFG, I'm starting to partition my free cash towards non-X-wing endeavors. I hope to hear some news soon.

LEGO is not pluralised. It is Lord of the RIngs Lego and Star Wars Lego. Lego bricks, lego men, lego kits, but not Legos. Lego is 1) a brand name and 2) a collective term. A pile of lego bricks is a "pile of lego", not a "pile of legos".

Sorry, completely random aside, and incredibly pedantic, but it is one of my pet peeves (every time I hear it it grates in my ears slightly). That and people trying to claim Hitler was elected to power.

Anyway, it's FFG. They make random announcements that something is coming, and then you hear nothing for two years, presume it has been dropped and suddenly a new expansion is released. No news is normal news.

I also find it amusing that people here are going "If the LCG is going PvP I will play this more", even though this is a PvP game. Not that I am criticising, as I am in a similar mold, it just might seem like a contradictory attitude to others. I would rather the card game was cooperative, but I still like the idea of a competative miniatures game.

How can you be 'amused' by peoples' opinions and then say that you feel the same way?

Anyway, I feel that X-wing should be PvP. It only makes sense. But I was excited about a co-op Star Wars card game (after all, a co-op miniatures game would be lousy).

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go eat my spaghettis! gran_risa.gif

LEGOs. LEGOs LEGOs LEGOs. I love LEGOs. I love me some LEGOs.

Okay, laying down my pride, I admit that you are absolutely 100% correct. In fact, I have read it before in several places that LEGO is a brand name and cannot be pluralized. The plural of LEGO is "LEGO bricks" or what have you. However, I have read in those same locations that, "Nobody really cares, so we all say LEGOs anyway."

I'm truly sorry it bothers you. I didn't mean to offend, but I'm just gonna keep saying it my way, and you can say it your way.

What's important is that we both love X-wing...er...at least we both want to love X-wing. It's hard to like it if we don't know much about it.

Card game pushed out to 3rd quarter 2012, I'm thinking I won't have X-wing in my hands until 2013... bostezo.gif

R5Don4 said:

Card game pushed out to 3rd quarter 2012, I'm thinking I won't have X-wing in my hands until 2013... bostezo.gif

Where does it say that? I just checked the "Upcoming" page and it still says 2nd quarter 2012.

Oh. You said card game. I totally missed that and assumed you were talking about x-wing. My mistake.

I can be amused by something I think as well... I often find my little foibles amuse me when I think about them more rationally.

Oh, not going to be offended by people using legos. If someone knows it to be technically incorrect and continues to use it that's fine, just I have seen/heard it so many times I think people may think it is correct. Now, it personally grates (I don't actually like the sound of it), but if it is just the way you choose to refer to it thats your business, as long as you know it's incorrect ;) It seems to be an American thing, as everyone I know (in the UK) refers to it as lego (and this is without the Lego legal department telling us to). It never even occurred to me to refer to it as "legos" until I saw it online, and have since heard it on various tv shows, and (again even without being told it was wrong) it just grated from the first time I saw it.

I don't think the announcement about the card game will have any impact directly on X-Wing. They said they didn't feel that the card game was up to scratch, so they rebooted it. There is no reason to expect that, as long as they don't come to the same decision for X-wing, that will lead to a completely unrelated (aside from subject matter) game being delayed. It will just mean that rather than them both being released at about the same time there will instead be a big gap between them.

Of couse this FFG, and who knows what will happen.

I had not read a single review of anyone who played the demo at Gencon that thought it was up to scratch so possibly they decided to retool it as well (let's hope anyway.)

R5Don4 said:

I had not read a single review of anyone who played the demo at Gencon that thought it was up to scratch so possibly they decided to retool it as well (let's hope anyway.)

Are you referring to the card game or X-Wing?

I was referring to X-Wing.

BLAST! I was sure today we'd see an update. Maybe tomorrow . . .

Budgernaut said:

Any particular reason you suspect an imminent update?

bsmith13 said:

Budgernaut said:

Any particular reason you suspect an imminent update?

No. I just felt a tremor in the Force. In other words, it was just a hunch.

Well they're still saying release will be in Q2 2012, so that's at most three months away... definitely time to start saying something !

Yeah, since my birthday is in Q2, I was hoping it would be released before then. My expectations aren't too high, though.

I've been hoping for a release by early April (in time for my birthday), but that seems unlikely now. Ah well...

If we get a photo of a ship with dimensions by early April, we'll be lucky.

still nothing this is a bit of a pain. shouldnt have pre-ordered in november . . . .

Welcome to Q2, everyone! Here's hoping for an update soon!

I just stumbled across the website from Heidelberger Spielveverlag (german licensee of ffg) and noticed

that the release date announced there is april for the english and may for the german version.

Don't now if it is still accurate.

http://www.heidelbaer.de/einzelansicht-spiel/spiel/star_wars_x_wing/

My online store of choice has it available 31 July, which was changed about a week or two ago from being available 31 March. But then the LCG is still showing as available at 31 August, so who knows. I must admit, I'm starting to get really fed up with the way they've handled the licence so far, announcing games and then a stony wall of silence, teases from game fairs and whatnot with nothing tangible to actually show for it. Maybe it really was just a ruse to entice people to buy their other games in the meantime, while their Star Wars line gets pushed further and further back - I for one have spent thousands of pounds on other FFG products since August, largely to see what they're about. Seriously, my disillusionment is at hysteria-level! In the eight months since they announced the two Star Wars games, I've seen loads of other stuff go from the initial announcement to the shop shelf, which makes you wonder just how much effort they're putting into this anyway. It really bemuses me just how much they seem to ignore the client base. At least WotC seemed to have some sort of presence on their own forums in the beginning. Maybe they just haven't got anything to tell us. Maybe both games are currently so under-developed, they really have no updates because they've done nothing with either game. You'd think having the licence to produce Star Wars games would be a bit more important to a company than what it seems to be the case here. I used to be one of the biggest FFG apologists I could find, but now I'm so frustrated with the whole thing, I'm beginning to join with everyone else in being really bummed by what's going on.

I can't really grumble too loudly, because I have found some quality games during this infinite wait, but at the same time, I would like to see my favourite franchise of all time see some action once again.

Anyway, I think that's enough of a depressive rant for one day...

I hear ya, Spalanzi. In the time since the first announcement, I've gone from waving money in the air to total apathy. I still seem to come here to check for updates, but now only out of boredom, as opposed to anticipation. I've got piles and piles of Star Wars Miniatures sitting in boxes (and had piles of SWCCG, before I eBayed 'em), and it's getting harder to justify adding more stuff to the pile. I'd have spent big money if they'd kept the energy going, but given the time they've given me to pause and reflect, I'm just not that keen anymore.

I can see what you guys are saying. I dont think it will be FFG's fault at all but from what I have heard it is very difficult to work with star wars. I have been on some website from authors who used to write star wars novels and they say that it can be very constricting when higher ups turn around and change things that are canon, or arent happy in the way particular things are portrayed. Games workshop tried to get star wars a long time ago and were refused, and style choice aside they make some of the best quality miniatures going. So either they are taking their time to get everything right first time, or its costing them a lot of money to constantly re-do things.

Of course I also cant see any reason why we cant get any pictures of work so far.

I'm with you guys. A month or two ago I was so excited about X-wing that my friends started up a Rebellion era X-wing campaign for the Saga Edition RPG. I got out my old Micro Machines Star Wars Action Fleet starfighters and set them up too. But I feel like I've lost the momentum. Every time I look at the starships, I can't get myself to feel excited for this game like I used to a month ago. I still think I'll get the core set and a Y-wing, but I don't know beyond that. But even that may not happen. It kinda depends on when it's released. If it comes out in the next month (not likely) I'll get it. If not, I'll probably end up waiting until Christmas to get it, but at that point I may get the LCG, or I may just drop SW and go with LotR LCG. If you told me a year ago that I would prefer an LotR product over SW, I would have said you were crazy, but I find myself getting so fed up with the wait, and rather than FFG making money off it, it's more likely I'll just stick with LotR and not purchase any of their new expensively licensed product line.

Well I am heartened by the fact that I'm not the only one in this boat!

I've been trying to feel better about the whole situation today, along the lines of thinking that, maybe when I have both these games in my hands, I'll laugh at the inordinately long wait I endured, and be totally enraptured at just how amazing they both are.

I preordered both of them in January, and am now kinda kicking myself for spending that £60 so early.

I suppose the sepulchral quiet from FFG could be down to the fact that the release dates for both are so distant they just couldn't keep momentum going in either that long. Maybe.

And Budgernaut - yeah! Who'd've thought Tolkien would trump Lucas so spectacularly!

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into some sort of moaning-fest...

Actually - has anyone seen this?

http://modern-myths.com/2012/03/14/gama-the-first-24-hours/ :

¦The Star Wars: X-Wing Core Set releases this Spring and contains one each of the following iconic Star Wars star-fighters: X-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE fighter and TIE Advanced. In addition to the core set, there will be squad packs for each of the star-fighters.