The ultimate " I've never seen play " character championship!

By Cass2, in UFS Off Topic

The ultimate " I've never seen play " character championship is now open!

which character do you think is the most never ever played character of all UFS history?

I but my bet on....

*Arthur*

an obscure promo samurai-ish character from SoulCalibur 3.

I've heard he has been made because samuraïs are forbidden in Corea, so he is there instead of Mitsurugi in the corean version of SC. Even if he's clothed like a samuraï, he's still an english fighter ( probably refering to the legendary Arthur we all know ).

Is that true? i don't know, but he's my choice for The ultimate " I've never seen play " character !

Seriously, this character simply su*k! He's 6/22, with an ability that is pure crap!

"E discard 1 momentum : This attack get +X speed. X equals the discarted momentum speed. If this attack's speed is now at least triple its printed speed, discard up to 2 cards from your card pool."

Nothing in his ability explain the 6/22 stats!

I'm so trying to build a deck from him for my next tournament!

Questions? Comments? Insults? Nintendo tricks? go on peoples, cast your votes!

*Athena*

gran_risa.gif

From Wikipedia:

In the sequel of Soul Edge, Soulcalibur, he [Mitsurugi] returned as a regular character with an improved fighting style and design. But in the world release of the arcade version (SOC14/VER.C), Mitsurugi was exclusively replaced by a character named Arthur. Other than being of British nationality, Arthur is essentially Mitsurugi with blonde hair and an eye patch; the samurai outfit and katana blade remains unaltered. Arthur returned in Soulcalibur III as a bonus character .

So Aurthur was created for the CCG, just like Strife, Greed, Miser, etc.

Antigoth said:

Created? I could've sworn Strife, Greed, Miser and even Arthur were already in SC3.

Arthur is simply Namco's answer to countries where samurais are looked down on. So OBVIOUSLY he's Mitsurugi, but not Japanese and not a samurai.

more forbidden entirely that simply looked down upon...

In Corea, the simple idea of a samuraï is completely forbidden i've heard. You can't talk about them, make reference, or clothe as one.

Same things for Nazis reference in Germany, reference to those are forbidden. That's the reason why the Wolfenstein games are forbidden there.

but hey, anyone think of another character to challenge Arthur's "I've never seen play" title ?

Try one of the original Gaira's, whose support all depended on discarding cards, and whose largest handsize was 5.

Or Geki.

Hell, the only reason Promo Sogetsu and Promo Rikuo saw play was some players took their crappiness as a challenge.

But you know the real winner of this championship?

Promo T. Hawk.

Promo T. Hawk has seen play in the area.

And I proved Rikuo's ability at Worlds! he's the sauce! Also, I've played promo Gaira before back when ruler of southtown was legal

I think you have me beat on Geki though... I don't think I've ever seen someone play Geki...

I'd still totally play *Athena* for this, since I can have no maximum vitality then use all the stupid life gain stuff from the new sets... but seriously, 6 handsize, 18 vitality? what were they thinking?

ARMed_PIrate said:

Try one of the original Gaira's, whose support all depended on discarding cards, and whose largest handsize was 5.

Been there done that - Ran 4HS Gaira at the Canadian Nationals back in 2007. Finished with a .500 record, had a 3-1 record going at one point.

I've also seen a Random Geki deck... the idea was cute... that was about it.

guitalex2008 said:

Antigoth said:

Created? I could've sworn Strife, Greed, Miser and even Arthur were already in SC3.

Arthur is simply Namco's answer to countries where samurais are looked down on. So OBVIOUSLY he's Mitsurugi, but not Japanese and not a samurai.

Sorry, I misspoke - because the characters were exisiting, STG took the opportunity to make him in the CCG. Just like Strife, etc.

Antigoth said:

I've also seen a Random Geki deck... the idea was cute... that was about it.

Done it.

I've kind of "played" promo T. Hawk myself, as i was stacking him in my *T. Hawk* deck back in the days.

As for Geki, a player in my meta had one deck off him because he was tired of being commited all game long against another player who was brigning his Nakoruru deck weeks after weeks... " you wanna commit my character? yeah with pleasure! "

Anyone ever tried to make a *Duke* deck? i've never heard of him being played...

Or *Greed* ?

Or *Q*?

Cass said:

I've kind of "played" promo T. Hawk myself, as i was stacking him in my *T. Hawk* deck back in the days.

As for Geki, a player in my meta had one deck off him because he was tired of being commited all game long against another player who was brigning his Nakoruru deck weeks after weeks... " you wanna commit my character? yeah with pleasure! "

Anyone ever tried to make a *Duke* deck? i've never heard of him being played...

Or *Greed* ?

Or *Q*?

i made Duke for the event right after worlds '07 and won. Duke is AWESOME.

Alan Marrett

Alex "A-Bomb" Bartos

Amy Pierce

Anya Ward

Arbra "Tha Man" Strong

Bill Altig

Bob Gardner

Bobby Stickel

Chris Beaumont

Dave Allen

Dave Thompson

David "Ace" Freeman

Denny Sowell

Erik Yaple, The Baddest Man in Gaming

Gary Dubell

George "Action" Mann

Helen Morley

James "Crispy Skillet" Stone

Jim Callahan

Joseph "Rapierdual" Spagnola

Josh Morris

Kevin "The Brit" Beadle

Mike Ball

Ragnar "the Midlander" Karlsson

Sabertoothman

Seth Morrigan

Steve Horvath

The Malbatross

Thomas Kohler

Yeah but those are staff cards, not legal in tournaments and anyone have them except the hardcore collectors, who have 3-4 max... hell, i'm pretty sure 90% of those cards doesn't even exist anymore as most of those staff don't work for UFS anymore.

so, Staff cards cannot enter the championship... they aren't legal haha!

Cass said:

Or *Q*?

Done it.

Pump pump pump Absurd for 10 lol.

Cass said:

Yeah but those are staff cards, not legal in tournaments and anyone have them except the hardcore collectors, who have 3-4 max... hell, i'm pretty sure 90% of those cards doesn't even exist anymore as most of those staff don't work for UFS anymore.

um, actually i have one of each =P took forever and a lot of trading to get them all...

and i've turn 2'd someone's Zas4 with promo Sogetsu, Hualin's made him a lot more playable... some people forget that his E Commit ability isn't even one you need to take into consideration when building him... you just need an Order base with attacks that have Death or use Hualin's...

i have never seen Arthur been played here... or anywhere for that matter... ever... haven't seen a Q build in WI either... i think someone tried to make a T.Hawk but i don't know if it was ever completed...

ShadowDragon said:

Cass said:

um, actually i have one of each =P took forever and a lot of trading to get them all...

and i've turn 2'd someone's Zas4 with promo Sogetsu, Hualin's made him a lot more playable... some people forget that his E Commit ability isn't even one you need to take into consideration when building him... you just need an Order base with attacks that have Death or use Hualin's...

i have never seen Arthur been played here... or anywhere for that matter... ever... haven't seen a Q build in WI either... i think someone tried to make a T.Hawk but i don't know if it was ever completed...

someone played Q at Worlds. Also, I was totally waiting for you to mention promo Sogetsu, I knew someone on the forums played him like I played Promo Rikuo, I just forgot the name >_<

Going with 2-dot Adon, I have never EVER seen him get played or heard of him being played in ANY incarnation anywhere.

Arther would be my runner up I think.

I've seen or heard of all the characters mentioned in this thread played locally. I'm pretty sure that most of them were out of fanboyisms, but I really can't speak for others.

Arthur- I heard rumors and actual plans for such a deck, but I never witnessed it.

Athena*- My friend traded some of my/our cards for Athena and her Crystal Bits, which I agreed were awesome. The deckw asn't necessarily awesome, but I'd attribute Athena's low vitality for synergy with her Crystal Bits (Desperation:3, 4M8).

Gaira*- I played a very annoying Gaira deck in my very early days as a play. I don't think that AntiGoth had Size Matters in it yet, but I don't remember that detail. I DO remember being killed through Burning Knuckles as blocks (of course), and I was outcontrolled by *wait for it*.... The Watch ! I was later inspired to build a Gaira* deck for a 6x10 event because I found some loophole with him and Move to the Rhythm.

Gaira**- I remember a Gaira** + Ruler of Southtown deck.

Geki- built by an ex-scout.

Promo Sogetsu- I played a very strong Sogetsu deck that would play Manji Ninjitsu, discard it from his card pool with Sogetsu, play all of the attacks from his discard pile, discard those attacks with Sogetsu, and draw into more attacks with the same Sogetsu ability and Whereabouts Unknown. That was when building a "good" Sogetsu deck was still "impossible" because his themed option cards were so limitted.

Promo Rikuo- I'm not sure why it was built... perhaps to spite of his uselessness.

Promo T. Hawk- apparently, this character made a wave at an FoP that may still be referred to with reverence.

Duke- I got knocked out by a Duke deck that did stuff with Neo Deadly Rave and Fortune Teller in a multiplayer game. The deck was potent because it happened to knock out 4 or 5 other players in the same fell swoop, but failed to kill E. Honda, which ultimately won.

Greed- I guess you haven't heard of Greed + Overwhelming Strength. That really screwed with my Void Seichu Chester, which was an absolute beast to 90% of the decks that it faced.

Q- I've heard of few non-locals building Q. I sort of used their common, "the reason to play Q" combo-- Q's Form + destroying Broken Leg/Bleeding Internally-- and made a mill deck. Also included were Revitalize, Contemplation, Vast Resources, Antisocial, other cards, but my favourite and most hated inclusion was Secret Project. This deck was specially built for another multiplayer event, which, by the way, still count as real tournaments (for skill required to plan for and to play through to win). Imagine raising every players' hand size to +4, with all of the afforementioned mill cards, and keeping them from playing any substantial amount of cards through 2-4 Secret Projects. I eventually got 2nd after I help Astaroth recur Absurd Strengths, and I probably had to spunge through 100+ points of damage too.

Staff Cards don't count XD... although, there was a player who built a Johnathan Ledezma deck that could do at least 60+ card mills at a time.

I've played, seen, or heard of some very unorthodox character choices, so I can't really make any nominations.

Edit: I haven't seen any Adon2, but I can imagine it. His card pool clearing ability is pretty decent.

ctr2yellowbird said:

Promo Rikuo- I'm not sure why it was built... perhaps to spite of his uselessness.

I got mad when they announced that grinder's weren't neccessary to play at Worlds 08. So I packed up my Luise deck (which had fun wrecking face all week) and made a Promo Rikuo deck to show how much I cared about Worlds now. Went 4-2-1 with my losses to Olexa and Jeremy Ray ^_^

I got another one who probably hasn't seen play. Voldo 3-dot

Q Mill featuring Secret Project - yeah, been there. I love that deck <3

BLIND STANCE TO THE REEEEESCUUUUUUUUUE

Locally we've seen some of the characters mentioned in this thread, others have been conspicuous by their absence...

• Q – One local player had Q built for a while (Sheffield Dan). Also Justin (for UK players) had a warped Q mill deck built, using Romanian Valley (hand-size setting), Pigeon Games (character untap) and Blind Stance (hand-size based mill) for a weird mill engine that allowed for unlimited uses of Q’s ability. In one game I think he boosted Basara’s hand-size to 13… things got weird!
  • Geki – Has been a pet-project of another local player (Lloyd) and was played in tournaments and at the Sheffield Robots vs Pirates vs Ninja’s Christmas UFS tournament.
  • Promo Anakaris - Has been played locally, haven't seen him played in tournaments though.
  • Promo Rikuo – I played a tri-symbol for a while and in one tournament.
  • Promo T.Hawk – never seen him played, ever.
  • Arthur – Same as T.Hawk.

to help on getting an accurate list of unplayed/crap/bad chracters cards, just make a like of the played/good/awesome character card. Should be easier as obviously, this list would be shorter. partido_risa.gif

failed2k said:

Going with 2-dot Adon, I have never EVER seen him get played or heard of him being played in ANY incarnation anywhere.

Arther would be my runner up I think.

i used to stack him (4 copies mained) onto promo adon right after he came out, usually first or second turn, to begin the massive murder string the following turn. free pump? OHBABY

but yeah, you're right, never heard of anyone START the game with him in play. that's just crazytalk :D

The Rikuo deck at worlds wasn't really even a Rikuo deck, it was a deck with cards that are now banned, you could have placed any character with those symbols in that deck and it would have done just as well if not better.

And trust me, the list of crappy characters far eceeds the list of good characters. There are usually about 10-20 playable characters. We have 147 characters at the moment, so think of all the character that aren't really tournament viable.