Front-Toward-Enemy.us: News and Updates

By Miah999, in Tannhauser

The first expedition of MacKneal´s team to the Castle map was baptized Operation Tannhäuser by the leading tactician. It is in the old rulebook, I think.

I think the name just sounded "german" to the french developers, and thus "exotic". I think everyone already knows, but Tannhäuser is the name of an opera by Wagner. Just in the case that there are still people out there who does not know already...

Miah999 said:

Hey Miah ... didn't I tell you about that one time, in the Tesla cathedral, that Hound Dog killed Asteros? ...... You could have knocked me over with a feather

D10s can make a fool of us all

-Nhoj

hahahahhahahah!

Now, I wish that was on video!

Katsuyori said:

The first expedition of MacKneal´s team to the Castle map was baptized Operation Tannhäuser by the leading tactician. It is in the old rulebook, I think.

I think the name just sounded "german" to the french developers, and thus "exotic".

Yup, the first mission to Castle Ksiaz to stop Heizinger from accessing the Cardinal Point was named Operation Tannhauser. It just seems somewhat random which is why I asked if TOY had ever said why that name was chosen.

Miah999 said:

hahahahhahahah!

Now, I wish that was on video!

I remember staring at the board for what seemed like an eternity ...... and then looking for a looong time at Asteros Shock Roll 1,1,1,2,2 After Rerolls!!

Been real busy this morning have a busy weekend ahead, so I almost forgot to give you guys the latest video link: miah000.blogspot.com/2011/10/video-review-oksana.html

Also be sure to look at the new additions to my Adventurers conversion.

Miah, you have done a very good job with these videos. Might I suggest, when you get the time, that you collate them together. They are an excellent resource for anyone starting Tannhauser.

Miah: after I saw all this video (and your blog) I think FFG shold have to pay your work, because it's better than theirs.

Very very good.

Just wanted to let people know that Miah posted that his laptop is down. Hopefully, it'll be fixed soon.

Carlos Castaneda said:

Miah: After I saw all this video (and your blog) I think FFG shold have to pay your work, because it's better than theirs.

They should buy him a new laptop! =P

Thanks everybody!

At 11:30am Firday, my Dell Insperion 5120 took its final breath here on this mortal coil, and has gone to a better place. R.I.P. 5120.

But, today an HP DV6, which I can't afford, but have to have, has arrived to fill the void left in our hearts by our 5120's passing, and we welcome it in to our lives and our home.

But now I need your submissions more than ever, because the only data lost was all the pre-written blog posts readyed for the end of Tannhauser Month, so remember to send them in to [email protected]

Oh my god... oh my god!

These are fantastic. I will take my time to properly digest them before giving proper feedback.

One question - Does the contributor for the #16 character have any figure in mind? Or conversions from other figures?

-Nhoj

Have to head to work soon, but was curious about the legal status of the online version of Tannhauser. Others have posted that FFG blocked the Vassal version of the game.

Nhoj said:

One question - Does the contributor for the #16 character have any figure in mind? Or conversions from other figures?

Not sure what the contributor had in mind, but the photo on the card reminds me of the American Robot Troopers from AEWWII. No top hat though =P

product_42620.jpg DarksonDesignsAME003_lgRobotTrooper.jpg

Regarding legality,

I'm not sure what the person who was working on the newer Vassal version of Tanhauser did to bring FFG's ire on them, but my theory has always been that they went beyond what we fans would normally do. But like I said I don't know what that was. Maybe it was the hi-res map images, that no one else has ever had access to. I don't know.

If FFG tells me to pull it, I will, and I'll also make very clear right now that, I did not assist in any way with it's development.

But FFG has only ever been kind to me and I can't see them having too much issue, as long as we're not trying to make money of this sort of stuff.

But then again they may see it as a way to play without paying, but as long as the online tool doen't include any of the rules or scripts to automate play it should still be necessary to at least buy the Rule Book to use it.

To be honest if I was developing this I would not have included the character cards, that way the actual game cards would still be required, and then the software would only be used to track the board, combat, etc.

Well that's all the lawyer in me, It's been up for a day now and I haven't heard anything from FFG, and I know they read the blog a little, so I'm not worried yet. Alot of the law in these type cases is centered on intention, and no one is intending to steal from FFG profits. It's just a way to help more people play their game.

Anyway.

I suppose the issue can be as simple as an image of a map. I presume if you publish that image and allow it to be available in a public place, it may be consdiered public domain eventually. Most companies do not see a conflict but some do. GMT for example, openly encourages this type of support as they believe that it helps sell their games.

Well, FFG has allowed Vassal modules of some of their other games, but usually with certain information left out so that you still need a copy of the game. My guess then is that FFG felt the original Vassal module included too much. I think its also possible that FFG did not want a module based on the original game out there since it could confuse people. Anyway, I expect FFG will be okay with this then, as long as some of the information is left out. I'd still like to see a Vassal version though since more board gamers have that program.

Hello

I am the one behind the "tannhauser online" part. I agree with Miah. There is no automatism of the rules or rules content anywhere (and never was intended) so you need the basic rules and the rules for each character expansion, you have just the images and tokens there.

I intended to add the original maps to the build but reading your comment it might be better not to have them there and use just the fan created maps to avoid any legal conflict.

This way there is no chance to play any original scenario and to play the original game you would still need the box but it would somehow defeat the purpose of the game, being able to play with friends abroad, and have all the perks associated with this, imagine a campaign or set of scenarios that can be run online. A tannhauser league... whatever.

This also prompts a second thought, I could also add fan made teams like the Hellboy group or Moellers Herecitc etc it would make playtest of custom made characters and maps so much easier.

Obviously this is entirely fandom material without any money interest behind, I do own the game (if not all expansions) and I am not related to the fantasy grounds software people (I am just a user).

I think online and board are so much differnet experiences that they dont really compete, the competence would be with any video game company that had a game in mind.

I have not contacted FFG for permission, but I know that in simmilar cases other companies refrained to act as long as there is no game logic or automatism included in the software.

I hope you give it a try and give me feedback, that was the whole point of making it public :-)

@Moebius

I've down laoded it and played around with it and I really like this system, (I don't really care for Vassal), the demo version is really all you need to play a custom game of Tannhauser.

Good work.

PS I hope to see some of my custom characters in the next version.

PPS And I think it's a good idea to leave out the original maps.

PPPS And my blog does have a couple more maps you could add.

New Adventurers conversion trooper up, and a Fan Submitted Union Stratagy guide.

The last Adventurers conversion for "The Mercenaries" is up.

Also my shiny new campaign rules are up!

The answer to the longing to have a faction progressing with time, Heroes evolving, equipment tokens picked up during battle... All that and much more! The rules will let you set up any campaign for 2-4 players (more if you use fan created factions).

Go check it here !

After all the topic of this thread was shameless slef promotion wasn't it? gui%C3%B1o.gif

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Miah and all those who contributed to his blog for Tannhauser month! It'll be fun to see what he comes up with next year! We expect triple the posts, Miah. That's right, TRIPLE! gui%C3%B1o.gif