Diary of a Newbie Painter

By Loophole Master, in Dust Tactics

Moving on with the Revised Set. This time, the Sturmpioniere:

Sturmpioniere.jpg

Nothing too fancy here, pretty similar to the official paint scheme (though any unit with a flamer must have some red on it, in my opinion). Note the flammenwerfer modification, I saw someone had done something like that and I just had to do it. I simply cut a bit of electric cord, removed the interior and slipped it over the flamer's hose. I had to slit it open lengthwise so it would fit, but the gap is not visible in the underside. I think it looks MUCH better with this modification, much more menacing.

Looking good, i need to the same to my flammenwerfer, the watering plants hose is not an option here..

Lska said:

Looking good, i need to the same to my flammenwerfer, the watering plants hose is not an option here..

Watering plants hose---LOL!!! Good job Loophole Master and funny joke Lska!

I just got this as a birthday gift, so it cut in line and got painted before the rest of the Revised Set. Here they are, my compatriots, the Red Devils:

RedDevils.jpg

Again, pretty much the official colour scheme. I just wish the Dust decals came with some British emblem...

To solve the "garden hose affect on the German flamethrower I used a coated paper clip and cut out the plastic hose and inserted that. Here's a pic.

SnowCamo4.jpg

That does look straight, but not all that interesting...

Miss Post? :D

Well, we all know about the tipsy heavy flak grenadier, right? Among those three brave soldiers, there was one who had a real hard time holding his weapon and walking at the same time. You know...

THIS IDIOT !

heavy-flak-gr-cropped.png

Anyway, I couldn't have that, it looks just too stupid. So... OFF WITH HIS LEG! Or rather, off with his body, the leg remained firm on the ground. I just twisted it with my hands and cut the remaining plastic with an exacto blade.

Flaks1a.jpg

Yeah, it looks painful, but it's for his own good. I had to carve the pieces a bit with the blade to get them to fit properly in their new position. Then it was just a matter of using some super glue to put him back together again.

Flaks1b.jpg

Ah... much better!

Nice, I did the same as the pose of the running ones are really strange (don't shoot your feet!). Depending on how much glue they used you don't need to cut the leg completely. Sometimes a few cuts are enough to be able to rotate the leg.

Now it looks like he's rippin' a big fart, Loop. Which, in my opinion, is still cool.

Mattador Actual said:

Now it looks like he's rippin' a big fart, Loop. Which, in my opinion, is still cool.

That is so horribly right... Way to destroy my figure, Mattador! lengua.gif

BTW, I love that the german heavy armor has a little poop shoot hatch.

Going back to the Revised Set, here are those pesky Heavy Flak Grenadiers:

Flaks2.jpg

These are great figures. I love the amount of detail the armour has, which the wash and highlights really bring out.

And moving on to that most despised of axis heroes, Lara Walter:

Lara.jpg

I had a tough time deciding on a colour scheme for her, but finally decided that an "ice queen" look would go well for this b****. Before applying the wash she looked like a stormtrooper... My model came almost without a nose, so I considered painting a gashing wound in its place, but she started to look like a clown, so I covered up most of the red in her nose.

Very nice! Choosing colour scheme for Lara is a pain in the ass for me 2. Leaved her for the end of the queue. Those are great minis, all the screws and details on the armor.

How did you make the W and the german cross? paper cutout's?

Lska said:

How did you make the W and the german cross? paper cutout's?

Dust-Models decal pack. The "W" I took from one of the allied "MCW-XXXX" decals for the walkers. And in case anybody is wondering, it stands for Walter, her last name.

Very nice indeedy

Base colours for the Death Dealers:

DeathDealers1.jpg

With a name like that, I had to give them black armor. I used vinegar to soften up the decals in order to apply them to the round shoulders and it worked quite well. Gave them white stars, but yellow ones to differentiate the guys with the special weapons.

And the final Death Dealers:

DeathDealers2.jpg

What can I say? The squad is quite bland, hence a sort of bland paint scheme. Seems fitting and looks good enough.

I like the black armor altourgh don't you think that bazooka came off a little bit sandy? :D

I was going for sandy. But maybe I should add some dark chipping to break it up a bit...

I like the of the death dealers. I'm a fan of everything you have posted. Keep posting pic's of the your work.

The lovely Heavy Laser Grenadiers:

HeavyLaserGrenadiers.jpg

These are certainly great sculpts! I'm glad I chose to do that little red detail on the shoulder pads, cause I think they would look too dull without it. It's a simple touch that really brings a lot to the overall look of the figure. I also did the highlighting on the armor a little differently. I didn't want the drybrushing lightening the armor as a whole, so what I did was to simply paint the corners with a light gray, without really drybrusing.

Loophole, I'm really inspired by your progression and will to share in this forum! As I'm planning to start with Dust Tactics, I was also thinking to paint the minis. I did some mini painting when I was 15, lead minis that we had at that time, but never since then.

I'm curious: could you give us a list of what you are using? Paints, washes, highlines (I don't know if you use something different to highline the minis or it's just another technique, like drybrushing). I'll probably have to rely on the help of some friend that lives in Europe or the US, since I'm also from Brazil. So I'm thinking about ordering exactly what I'll need.

But I did see that there's a hobby store here in Porto Alegre where they seem to sell Valejo products. If I can finde premade washes, maybe it will prevent me from going offshore to shop, that is, bothering someone with it. :]

Your heavy laser grenadiers look great.

Hi Pedro. Actually my list of stuff I use is not all that useful. I use mostly enamel paints, which is not something I'd recommend. Other than that, Boltgun Metal for metallic parts, Ogryn Flesh for washing skin and Badab Black or Devlan Mud for washing everything else. That's it.

And here, finally, are the last Revised Set troops! First, the Hammers:

Hammers.jpg

I went with the same high-contrast, not-so-dry-brushing highlighting technique on all the edges. I think it looks pretty good on the table, specially for armored units.

And their hero, Rhino:

Rhino.jpg

Again, same thing. I'm surprised not to have seen more Rhinos using the rhino decal.

And with that I'm done painting troops. For quite a while. I've managed to get an amazingly great deal on some Premium units, so I'm afraid you won't be seeing my own take on the NCO Squads, Hero Packs, Heavy Recon Grenadiers, Konigsluther and Fireball.

Now on to finish the Revised Set by doing the walkers...

Hey Loophole,

I really like your style, especially your use of colour accents without making the miniatures too colourful happy.gif

-Cheers,

Ghrik