Diary of a Newbie Painter

By Loophole Master, in Dust Tactics

It will surely stand out:D I don't like the idea of white monkeys but that's best i've seen so far. White highlights now?

Rosy-white highlights to the skin, white on the fur, silver on the gloves. I'm not sure whether I'll do the same rust as I did to the other apes. Markus is already very reddish overall, so maybe he'd look better with well-maintained metallic gloves.

Your Markus looks almost exactly like mine, though mine was a tad more monotone. I really like him!

Loophole Master said:

Rosy-white highlights to the skin, white on the fur, silver on the gloves. I'm not sure whether I'll do the same rust as I did to the other apes. Markus is already very reddish overall, so maybe he'd look better with well-maintained metallic gloves.

Some blood maybe? But i assume it's not your style as all of your minis don't get such diorama stuff.

Yeah, no blood for me. I prefer my units to be more of a blank slate, as you don't even know if they actually get to kill anyone in that battle. So no blood, no bullet holes, etc.

Not that I don't appreciate some of the amazing things some people have done in terms of bloody apes.

That's one of the reasons I like your stuff, you keep your models reletivly clean so the imagination can do all the work during the game. I like that.

Done with the Markus. Here's the albino terror in all his white glory:

Markus3a.jpg

Markus3d.jpg

I'm very happy with the result. It looks pretty faithful to the reference I was working from, it looks menacing, distinctive and a bit freaky. Not looking forward to facing him in the battlefield...

Very nice I love the white and pink contrasts. Very well done.

Even though I'm not a big fan of the Gorillas, then again this one actually appeals to me (looks almost like a yeti or some other snow monster kinda thing gui%C3%B1o.gif ).

I can see your inspiration now:D

monkey_smile.jpg

Fantastic paint job!

Very, uhh... Aryan. preocupado.gif Just what I'd think a fascist gorilla commander would look like. Very inspiring!

Here are the Axis Zombies:

Zombies.jpg

I went for an prisoner's orange jumpsuit, thinking it would make for a nice contrast with their greenish faces. Painted the gloves copper and tried it to give it some proper greenish copper rust.

Love the copper gloves the effect is excellent. With those faces and those Orange overalls they remind me of the band 'Slipknot' lengua.gif

[

Zombies.jpg

Maybe you could paint their prison numbers on their jumpsuits. I really like their look as well as the look of your gorillas and repeapers. You continue to impress and I can't wait to see more.

marcemtp said:

[

Zombies.jpg

Maybe you could paint their prison numbers on their jumpsuits. I really like their look as well as the look of your gorillas and repeapers. You continue to impress and I can't wait to see more.

We use guys to clean the roadways here in NJ dressed just like that and some even really look like that. Let me know if anyone wants reference pics for color and scale purposes.

marcemtp said:

I was planning on using decals to put numbers on their backs, but the problem is that their backs are too groovy to properly apply a decal.

And thanks for the compliments!

use this...

microsol.jpg

Fat chance of me finding that around here.... but thanks for the advice.

If you can find out what it actually is I'm sure you can find an analog.

Dunno, haven't had any luck with washes, varnishes or dull cotes around here....

well for washes you just need to thin the paint a good bit. and ive heard of people using some sort of floor wax as a sealer. also enamle paint should be rather tough you may not need a sealer.

Thinning down enamel paints to make a wash just doesn't work. You need a lot of chemical thinner, and it will end up dissolving your base colours.

Zombies look good! I've been doing a lot of painting too but still got a lot to go. Five squads done this week and a ton more to go. Ended up getting both core sets, zombies, and op cyclone and a couple other little things. Had fun playing with my oldest today, but wish all my units were painted!

Hell Boys:

HellBoys.jpg

It was actually quite nostalgic working on these, since they are basically the good old BBQ Squad. Going with the whole "hell" theme, I went with an orange and black colour scheme which I think worked quite nicely.

Looking very good!!!