Diary of a Newbie Painter

By Loophole Master, in Dust Tactics

Haven't had much time to paint lately. Anyway, here's my latest progress. I think I'm now fully done with the base colour for the Recon Boys, after adding some wood to the rifles and some other final touches.

DSCN6936.jpg

And I think I'm pretty much done with the base colours for the Gunners as well. I found that dilluting the paint with a bit of thinner really helps retain the details of the model.

DSCN6939.jpg

And started painting BBQ squad. Since I love these guys, I really want to do them justice. I'm thinking of going for a reddish-black colour scheme for them.

DSCN6937.jpg

I'm nearly done with the base colours for my ally troops. Here's "Bazooka" Joe Brown. Since he's an actual character, I tried to stick more to his official colours. Man, I can't wait to start applying the washes and highlights to my figures... Hopefully the wash will dull a bit the brightness of the metallic paint on the shells. I also thought I should wait til after the wash to do the eyes, right?

DSCN6942.jpg

Finally, here's my base painted BBQ squad! I know this brownish-red is not the most combat-savvy of colours, but then again my BBQ squad has never been known to sneak discreetly across the battlefield.

DSCN6945.jpg

DSCN6946.jpg

And with this I'm done withe base colours for my ally troops (until my expansions arrive). I still have quite some time to wait until my washes arrive, so I guess there's nothign else I can do to them in the meantime. Should I apply a coat of matte varnish at this stage or just when the whole thing is done? It's supposed to be a spray, right? Hope I can find it around here...

Now I'm not sure whether I move on to the axis troops, or start playing with the tanks for a change of scenery.

Look great, ,your washes are coming so you can finish these up!

Looks good! One thing I noticed is a lot of people don't paint the armor/leg pads(?) on Joe. He clearly has some protection or at least a material over his legs, tied down at mid thigh. Similar to the arm pads, which you did paint. I think it helps to paint this to break up the single color of his overalls.

Can't wait to see them once they are washed!

Dunno, that looks very much like pockets on the side of Joe's pants, so I don't think they should be a different colour. In some of the pics he's got kneepads, but the model doesn't have them.

Thanks, can't wait to see them washed myself. But should I apply some matte varnish now or just at the end of the whole thing:

Progressing real fine, Loopie! And having the wife gets involved is a real coup! You're the man!

Thanks! Today I played for the first time with my halfway finished figures. I guess painted troops do fight harder, cause I won. It was a real treat seeing my painted troops on the battlefield, and the axis opponent (haven't painted those yet) was very jealous.

The model does indeed have them. Same as every other picture he's in. You can see them tied off on his mid thigh. I have not seen pockets on the very front of any pair of pants that go all the way up to the mid thigh from the ankle and are tied off at the thigh. Same type of pads as his arms. you can easily see the line going up both sides of his leg. There are two little pouches at the top where the pad is tied off also.

Hey, Thiago!

Here´s another fellow southerner, from Argentina. I understand your problems getting what comes by as everyday stuff for minis players around the globe.

I havent really checked every post since there are many, but I think I get the picture pretty much.

First of all, let me tell you, you have excellent hand for painting, it really shows. Painting with enamels is a pain in the ass, and the reason the minis shown on this and other webpages look so good, is because we use acrylics as some already told you.

I´m pretty sure THERE are some stores in Brazil who sell citadel colours...we have some in Buenos Aires, and since your country is a much bigger market i´d bet on it. The thing is, they are not that really popular, only with Warhammer player, and since you havent played other mini game sas well, that´s the reason.

Effectively, Wayland and maelstrom have been forbidden by GW to sell their products in SA. But they still ship ALL other brands!!! You can get the excellent Vallejo colours, Coat d´arms, Privateer Press colours, ame way you get the Dust line products.

They are definitely cheaper when shipped than bought on a local store (normally double price for being imported stuff), but you have to wait for them on the dowinside!

There´s a fellow wargamer veteran from an argentinian Wargames whom you could contact for getting directions of stores and such...

In the meantime, you can always have what are calles decorative acrylics to use in your minis. You have to water them to use them, but should only cost between 2 or 3 reais each bottle. If you water them enough, they can easily replace washes (not as great as, but pretty good)

Please, let me know if I can be of assistance on anything.

Cheers

Needless to say, if you ever travel down to Buenos Aires for bussiness or pleasure, you´re in for some serious DUSTBITING!! gran_risa.gif

Aldarion said:

There´s a fellow wargamer veteran from an argentinian Wargames whom you could contact for getting directions of stores and such...

I forgot to say that this fellow gamer I mentioned is based in Brazil, Porto Alegre I think.

I know him from a local forum, and though he doesn´t play DT he is professional miniatures wise. Send me your email if you want me to get you his directions.

Thank you very much for the support, Aldarion. I've kinda gotten used to the enamel paints, so for now I think I'm going to stick with them. I've already spent too much on them to just set them aside and buy a whole other set of acrylic paints. As for washes, SoRice is already sending me a little GW kit, so I should be fine on that department for a while. But I'll certainly take up your offer whenever I find myself in Buenos Aires! I was there last year for my honeymoon, loved the city (though I don't think my wife would have been all that happy if I had ditched her to go play Dust).

Loophole Master said:

Thanks! Today I played for the first time with my halfway finished figures. I guess painted troops do fight harder, cause I won. It was a real treat seeing my painted troops on the battlefield, and the axis opponent (haven't painted those yet) was very jealous.

Can't help myself:

When the Axis soldiers saw the Allies squads charging towards them, the color drained from their faces. gran_risa.gif

Loophole Master said:

Thank you very much for the support, Aldarion. I've kinda gotten used to the enamel paints, so for now I think I'm going to stick with them. I've already spent too much on them to just set them aside and buy a whole other set of acrylic paints. As for washes, SoRice is already sending me a little GW kit, so I should be fine on that department for a while. But I'll certainly take up your offer whenever I find myself in Buenos Aires! I was there last year for my honeymoon, loved the city (though I don't think my wife would have been all that happy if I had ditched her to go play Dust).

[/quote

I understand that, and actually your models look real good with the enamels, as I said before!

Nonetheless, since you are clearly gifted for miniature painting, I will keep encouraging you to eventually use the acrylics. In fact, there´s no need to do a complete turn over, and as far as I know, professional modellers use both kinds of paints, as well as oleums, to achieve specific effect.

Right know, you could use some acrylics if eventually you want to paint the eyes on your heroes, something that would be impossible with enamels and fairly simple with acrylics and a fine brush. As I said, I guess you could get both black and white for around 5 reais. In case you decide to try it, let me know so I, and i´m pretty sure many others, can give our personal techniques for eye painitng.

But, enough of this acrylics worshipping!!!

Glad you liked my city, I´m also married so we might find a solution so your wife doesn´t feel "ditched" if both of you are ever around here.

Cheers.

Look´s great. I think they´ll look **** good with some washes added.

Thanks for the encouragement! Haven't had time to paint lately, but just to show I haven't stopped competely, I played a little bit with the new ammo crates from Cyclone. While my washes haven't arrived yet, I thought it was safe to play around with simple acrylic black dissolved in water for this thing, since I was going for a dirty, chaotic look anyway, with just some metallic highlight. I think it turned out pretty good.

DSCN6947.jpg

I recently got Cyclone, Command Squads, SpecOps, Medium Walkers, so I'm a bit overwhelmed with the work piling up. And after playing with all those units for the first time, it became clear that it's IMPERATIVE that I paint them, cause they're all looking the same on the game table....

Looks great! Looking forward to see the the axis miniatures painted!

zuggzugg said:

The model does indeed have them. Same as every other picture he's in. You can see them tied off on his mid thigh. I have not seen pockets on the very front of any pair of pants that go all the way up to the mid thigh from the ankle and are tied off at the thigh. Same type of pads as his arms. you can easily see the line going up both sides of his leg. There are two little pouches at the top where the pad is tied off also.

I think those are reinforced clothing, just a second or thicker additional layer of cloth on the knees, shins, nothing more. Otherwise I dont think armor would bend diffferently on both legs as you can clearly see on the left leg the armor would be bent/folded. It may indeed be a pad, but its not armor.

Oh well, everyone sees something different. For example, I look at Joe and see the worst figure of the line.

Its part of the US Paratrooper uniform. They are an additionnal layer of thicker fabric in order to protect the areas that normally wore through on the jump uniform (knees , elbows, cargo pockets-the straps are or securing the cargo pocket when its full). This was required after the M1942 Paratrooper uniform was found to be too easily worn out. By the time the M1943 uniform was introduced it was standard. It was also done in the field frequently to older uniforms.

Great job on the models Loophole.

After a too-long hiatus, I've finally gone back to painting my axis forces. I started a little differently, doing some "production line" style work, and getting the black and dark brown and painting all the troops' boots, boot coverings, belts, masks, straps and stuff. I'm thinking of leaving the armor the primer gray, and painting the fatigues different colours: Cream for the Recons, grayish-blue for the Battle Grenadiers, crimson for Sigrid and, not sure yet, dark gray for the Laser Grenadiers.

DSCN6967.jpg

DSCN6966.jpg

Started painting some fatigues. I had to do a bit of mixing to get the right colour for Sigrid, but I'm pleased with the result. It doesn't really look as orangy as in this photo. The one thing that puzzles me is that sometimes the final result will be very glossy, while other times it's very dull. I'm using the same kind of enamel paint throughout! It doesn't really bother me, but it would be nice to have more control over this...

DSCN6969.jpg

Enamels are often sold in "gloss" and "matte" versions. I would bet you somehow ended up with a mix of both types. (It's not always super apparent on the label which one you've got.)

Finished with the base colours for Sigrid. For the blonde hair I followed the advice given by Nam Nguyen in the "Painting Rosie" article. I'll try do do some touch-ups on the face after I've applied the wash, adding eyes (gulp) and trying to better define the lips.

Sigrid.jpg

Looking good, can't wait to see you use washes on the troops. If you want, you can give the red a thin wash of Badab Black and it will give you shading. Just a bit though, not too much.