Texas Throwdown (UFS Regional - May 22-23rd)

By Nubian_God, in UFS Fan Announcements

*UPDATE MAY 11TH* DOUBLE DRAGON RULES POSTED AND SANDBAG RULES UPDATED

------------------------------------------------------------------------

When : May 22nd and 23rd with registration beginning at 11:00

Friday
11:30 -
Teams (4 rounds/50 minute Rounds)
04:00 - Teams (Top cut)
06:00 - Double Dragon (2v2 Legacy/Single Elimination)

Saturday
11:30 - Singles (4 rounds/50 minute Rounds)
04:00 - Singles (Top cut)
06:00 - Highlander (Legacy 40 minute Rounds)

All Weekend
Sandbag Challenge (Legacy)

------------------------------------

Where : Lone Star Comics
1215 S. Cooper St.
Arlington, TX 76010

What : It's going to be 2 days of UFS mayhem in Texas! There's going to be Standard format Singles and Teams events going on throughout the weekend, with current ban/errata list in effect.

Spoils : All players receive participation support of a booster pack and a promo. Door prizes will also be given out between rounds, as well as other prizes such as Road Warrior award (playgroup that traveled the farthest distance to attend)!

Prize support for Singles is as follows (including prize support from the Regional Kit):

• Champion will receive a booster box, a Texas Throwdown Trophy, a plaque, a vitality counter, an art print, a promo pack, a playset of a League Foil, and 4 additional promos.
  • Runner-up will receive a booster box, a promo pack, a vitality counter, an art print, a playset of a League Foil, and 4 additional promos.
  • Top 4 will receive a vitality counter, an art print, a promo pack, a playset of a League Foil, and an additional promo.
  • Top 8 will receive a vitality counter, a playset of a League Foil, and an additional promo.

Prize support for Teams is as follows:

• Champion will receive a booster box, a Texas Throwdown Trophy, a plaque, a promo pack, 3 playsets of a League Foil, and 9 additional promos.
  • Runner-up will receive a booster box, a promo pack, and 3 playsets of a League Foil.

Prize support for Double Dragon is as follows:

• Champion will receive a legacy booster box, a Texas Throwdown Trophy, a pack of promos, and 2 sets of the Foundations of Power.
  • Runner-up will receive a legacy booster box and 2 sets of the Foundations of Power.

Prize support for Highlander is as follows:

• Champion will receive a legacy booster box, a Texas Throwdown Trophy, a pack of promos, and a set of the ShadoWar promo characters.
  • Runner-up will receive a legacy booster box and a set of the ShadoWar promo characters.

There will be 8 Door prizes drawings during the week (4 per day), with the megar offering of the group being 6 booster packs from the newest set available (3 from each franchise) and another being 2 starter decks from the Soul Calibur 4 and Shadowar sets.

The Grand Prize for the Sandbag Challenge will be:

• 1 set of the Assets of Power.
  • 1 set of all of the available Shadowar promo characters.

More prize details to come for the other events!

Cost : $3 per event, per person (so a team will have to pay $9 all together).

Additional side events are being planned out and will be announced as soon as it's approved . I will update with any additional info concerning incoming prize support and events as they come along.

I invite all players in Texas, the surrounding states, and beyond to participate in this congregation of face-pounding. More info and prize support to come. If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, hit me up at [email protected] .

Sandbag Rules

• All decks must have at least 40 cards.
  • Legacy format, but the banned list as of May 22nd is in effect.
  • Aside from deck size, tournament rules are in effect.
  • Each player will be allowed 4 turns to play out as they see fit. They start the beginning of their first turn committed.
  • Players may earn 2x modifier to their score if they finish all 4 of their turns under 2 minutes.
  • Players may earn 2x modifier to their score if they deal at least 30 damage in one turn.
  • Players may earn 3x modifier to their score if they use less than half of their deck (counted by adding the cards in the discard pile with the cards in the staging area, momentum pile, and removed from game pile).
  • The largest multiplier a player can receive is 4x. (Ex. If a player manages to finish under 2 minutes (2x) and use less than half of their deck (3x), the overall multiplier is rounded down to 4x instead of 5x)

Below is the stats of the Sandbag character:

Sandbag

Character, Infinity (All vital stats are ??)

6D/6C +0M

0 Hand, X VIT

X is equal to the damage dealt to Sandbag +1.

Before this card's text is blanked, commit all cards in your opponent's staging area.

R: After your opponent plays the same card or ability for the third time this turn, negate its effect and their Combat Phase ends. This ability cannot be negated, cancelled, or prevented in any way. Playable while committed.

Double Dragon Rules (Original posting by GraveLord; modified slighty by Nubian_God):

1. Each player has and control their own zones (deck, stage, momentum, etc) and vitality.

2. The team whose players are both knocked and/or decked out loses.

3. No tag-in required. Any player may attack any of the opposing players. A player can block for their teammate. Either team member can play a Reversal after their team blocks an attack. An attack target must be declared each time an attack is played and Reversals must target the player who's attack was blocked.

4. Card effect that affects all cards in play will affect team member as well.

5. Cards and abilities must pass in order from and to all players. Example: Team1Player1 plays an attack, t1p1 gets 1st enhance, then t2p1 gets an enhance, then t1p2 gets an enhance, and then t2p2 gets an enhance and then the enhance proceeds back to the attacking player (t1p1). Same goes for responses... yeah, responses will be crazy complicated.

6. The controlling player must choose a target opponent for abilities that states "opponent" in it's effect. Example: If a player plays Infiltrating, then he must choose which opponent's SA he is targeting, but keep in mind that the target opponent's teammate may intervene to disrupt or negate the ability.

7. Players may only play or activate abilities on cards they control.

8. Turns alternate between teams and the 1st two players start off committed and their Ready Phase skipped.. so the 1st player from each team start off committed and etc.

9. If a player is knocked out and his teammate is able to hold it off for 3 of his own turns, then his teammate may "recover" at 1/2 of his max vitality (rounded down) during the end of the 3th turn. The recovering player draws his handsize and commits his entire staging area.. doesn't ready until his turn.

Clarifications to game mechanics in regards to Double Dragon (As provided by ARMed_Pirate)

10. As a player plays an attack (before any costs have been paid or any control check has been made), that player must choose and declare a target for that attack.

11. If you play an E ability, or if you play an R ability in response to an attack (being played, reaching a particular step, being blocked, dealing damage, resolving, etc.) and that ability refers to "your opponent", then:
--1a. if you played the attack, "your opponent" refers to the target of the attack.
--1b. if an opponent played the attack, "your opponent" refers to the opponent who played the attack.

12. If an F ability is played, or if an R ability is played NOT in response to an attack (being played, etc., as in rule 11), and that ability refers to "your opponent", then the player of the ability must, when declaring the ability, choose which opponent (target) the ability refers to.

13. If an ability refers to "your opponent" multiple times, it always refers to the same opponent.

14. If you play an E ability, or if you play an R ability in response to an attack (being played, etc., as in rule 11), and that ability refers to "both players" or "you and your opponent", then:
--14a. if you played the attack, the ability affects only you and the target of the attack.
--14b. if an opponent played the attack, the ability affects only you and the player who played the attack.

15. If an F ability is played, or if an R ability is played NOT in response to an attack (being played, etc., as in rule 4), and that ability refers to "both players" or "you and your opponent", then that ability affects ALL players.
--15a. Responses of this kind that respond to a "Form" being played (notably Order & Law) affect all players, even if the form being played is an attack.

16. During your attack (or in response to your attack, as in rule 11), when you generate or play another attack (the kick played from Koshu To's E, copies generated by Multiple, any attack Chicanery'd in, etc.), that new attack MUST be directed at the same target as the original attack.
(It's all stemming off one attack, so it's going in the same direction.)

17. During your attack (or in response to your attack, as in rule 11), when your opponent generates or plays another attack (card named "Reversal," cards played as reversals, etc.), that attack MUST be directed at you.
(They're responding to your attack, and that means they're responding AT YOU.)

18. When a trigger comes up, all players take turns playing Responses to that trigger, starting with the player whose turn it is, and moving in a clockwise direction. When all players have passed in succession on playing a response, no more responses to that trigger may be played.

Deck Constraints :

- Each individuals deck must comply to the standard deckbuilding rules of UFS.

- Teammates may not share copies of any cards in their deck or sideboard. Ex: If t1p1 is using any number of copies of Infiltrating, then t1p2 cannot have it.

Standard or Legacy? Since its in May- that means the new block if its standard?

I've got 10 guys from Lubbock that are interested, but you gotta give me some more!1!

I know he's planning on getting back to you on that one.

So far I know we're doing Singles and Teams, which will likely both be Standard. But there will be other events, probably a few of which are Legacy.

Lord Aries said:

Standard or Legacy? Since its in May- that means the new block if its standard?

I've got 10 guys from Lubbock that are interested, but you gotta give me some more!1!

Right you are on the Standard format. Cards stamped with the 4-point watermark and Set 12 will be a go for Singles and Teams.

As for other events, I'm still deciding, but you can help make my decisions easier by voting here ! I hope to see you all over here in May!

Thanks for the heads up I will bring this up to Vik and see if we can make it since its one month after the SCC if anyone in TX has a place for us to crash let us know we always repay UFS players who are cool like that gran_risa.gif !

Scubadude said:

Thanks for the heads up I will bring this up to Vik and see if we can make it since its one month after the SCC if anyone in TX has a place for us to crash let us know we always repay UFS players who are cool like that gran_risa.gif !

Most def! We're a bit spread out, but there's plenty o' places for ya'll. Just hit us up as it gets closer and we'll work out the details.

Nubian_God said:

Scubadude said:

Most def! We're a bit spread out, but there's plenty o' places for ya'll. Just hit us up as it gets closer and we'll work out the details.

No problem let me know if you guys can make it down for the SCC and we will help you out as well since were going to your event gui%C3%B1o.gif .

I myself, as well as several of my friends are interested. We're currently located in hte Spring/Houston Tx area, so if there's anyone else in the Southeast Texas area who'd like to go with me, just let me know.

Good looking out, Gummy. I'm looking around and I hope to have some info about hotels located near the store real soon. I also plan on having an update concerning prize support, too, so keep an eye out.

Nubian_God said:

Good looking out, Gummy. I'm looking around and I hope to have some info about hotels located near the store real soon. I also plan on having an update concerning prize support, too, so keep an eye out.

I hope we get to meet in person before the Texas regionals. I think it would help out UFS in Texas, since the playgroups from different cities in Texas would be acquaintances at the least, if not friends. And, if more playgroups in Texas are cooperating with eachother, then UFS in Texas will be stronger. Everything will fall into place. :D

Nubian_God said:

I talked it over with some of the other south member and flight are extremely cheap if you think you can hit the 30 mark let me know we really want to go .

Scubadude said:

I talked it over with some of the other south member and flight are extremely cheap if you think you can hit the 30 mark let me know we really want to go .

No doubt. With this much of a heads-up and all of the people around the area, it shouldn't be much of a problem. I plan on having a pre-registering sytem up soon (with incentive) so we'll have a ballpark figure.

Updated with Pre-Registration info. Check it out!

Nubian_God said:

Updated with Pre-Registration info. Check it out!

I sent you the pre-registration email. Also, you should check out my new store approved topic, since I know you guys wanted to meet up soon anyway.

Bumpage for people to get in on the action.

Also, remember that as a regional, all the prize support listed up there is IN ADDITION to the regional prize support kits. Whee!

Just wanted to remind everyone there's 9 days left to pre-register and receive one of the Soul Calibur support foundations, so get on it if you're still interested!

Updated with prize support goodness!

How many people are you expecting thus far ?

So far I have 10 people pre-registered. Word of mouth brings in another 10 that I've talked to, and I'm still trying to reach the Austin and San Antonio playgroups, which may bring in up to 15 more people. Also, El Paso's playgroup is interested, but I don't know their size.

All in all, not too shabby. I expect to get a better picture going into March.

Nubian_God said:

So far I have 10 people pre-registered. Word of mouth brings in another 10 that I've talked to, and I'm still trying to reach the Austin and San Antonio playgroups, which may bring in up to 15 more people. Also, El Paso's playgroup is interested, but I don't know their size.

All in all, not too shabby. I expect to get a better picture going into March.

Ok let me know when you hit 30 if you hit 30 I will make it down.

Just a reminder that the first round of pre-registering is closed. You can still pre-register and receive free entry to the Singles and get a free League Foil, so hop to it!

Come on people! Let's have an awesome turnout!

I must confer with the man of the house, but we might be able to offer some floorspace for the out-of-towners...

We have room for about 4-5 people here. I know Scuba and Scott have expressed interest in crashing here, soooo...yeah.

OMG! They can help us control the stray cat population, Brian! =O

For anyone interested in coming: the venue is basically a stone's throw away from UTA (the University of Texas at Arlington), which is a pretty sizeable school. As such, there's plenty of places to eat and things like that in very close proximity...including places to enjoy the tipple (or get crunk, whichever you prefer). And there's a hotel (or a motel...inn...I dunno, it's a place where you give them money to sleep) literally across the street from the venue.

And it's down the street from my old high school (GO COLTS!). So yeah.

It's gonna be GREAT.

And as we've just picked up two new players of our own...we're quickly approaching the thirty mark.

MegaGeese said:

And as we've just picked up two new players of our own...we're quickly approaching the thirty mark.

You must be talking about Preston and Chris... wait, who's Chris???

Yeah, not sure about this Chris person people keep mentioning. I'll have to meet him some time.

And Geese, did I know that you and I went to the same high school? I'm not sure that I did...