Street Fighter IV is just around the Corner... (New Trailer with complete character list!)

By Son Gopaul, in UFS Off Topic

Okay, I'll stick with Sagat. But only when it's serious - i.e. Ranked Battles when I get round to them. My terrible score on HDRemix has told my to shy away from Ranked until I am ready.

Had a taste of online play yesterday - and had loads of fun playing this one guy. We had an awesome battle with my Sagat against his Akuma at the end, which made me learn how to avoid Akuma's Ultra if and when possible.

Son Gopaul said:

Okay, I'll stick with Sagat. But only when it's serious - i.e. Ranked Battles when I get round to them. My terrible score on HDRemix has told my to shy away from Ranked until I am ready.

Had a taste of online play yesterday - and had loads of fun playing this one guy. We had an awesome battle with my Sagat against his Akuma at the end, which made me learn how to avoid Akuma's Ultra if and when possible.

actually, now (release week) would have been the best time to get ranking points, since there are sooooo many people that...um... don't play the game so well. or pick ken. if you can handle ken, go for it.

ability to beat Ken players = positive points in Ranked matches.

even if you lose to every other possible character choice available, the sheer number of Ken players will make it so you'll still make points.

I just picked it up and am working on unlocking characters. Going to take a while, though, as I'm still hooked on Valkyria Chronicles......

My only gripe (as I haven't played online yet) is Seth. Man, that guy is a cheap bastard. I saw whole matches where all he did was teleport/360 me. The challenge of the game is great until you reach Seth, who makes old SFII Bison look tame (he and the Apprentice should handg out:P ).

That said, I LOVE the game. If they took Seth out, it would be perfect.

I plan on maining Dhalsim once I finish unlocking people. I've played with him a bit, and like how he plays thus far. I'm curious to start trying the new people out. El Fuerte looks fun.

I prefer the challenge from more experienced players. Points mean nothing to me (unless it means an acheivement). I also like the challenge Seth brings, no matter how many times you're screaming at the top of your lungs and tearing your hair out as he Teleport-SPDs you for the 9001st time.Through that generic-looking exterior lies some awesome moves, no matter how cheap - plus I don't think this boss concept was used for a Street Fighter character (except the Cycloid characters in the EX games). Plus, who'd want a lame excuse for Boss AI like Algol in Soul Calibur IV? I like Seth's "cheap" AI compared to that.

Son Gopaul said:

Plus, who'd want a lame excuse for Boss AI like Algol in Soul Calibur IV? I like Seth's "cheap" AI compared to that.

I whupped the guy so many times I now refer to him as Alglol.

Ugh, Ken used to be the "I'm high tier in every game, but not broken, making me extremely fun to play" character. Now, he's the "retards think I'm better than Ryu because I'm faster/stronger/flashier, all of which are wrong."

Seriously, I attended 3 of the Gamestop tournies, have hosted 3 SF4 tournies of my own, and it seems to me that any newb to this game not only picks Ken, but screams he's that much better than Ryu. Of course, once you start learning the game better, you learn that Ryu's whole game is about domination (albeit, not nearly the domination game of Sagat, who is broken). Ryu has his classic zoning (Hadoken while far away, Shoryuken the jump-ins, crouching MK for footsies, etc), and he has punishing insanity (mm, Shoryuken FADC EX Shoryuken Metsu Shoryuken? Wtf?!)

Ken has like, one combo, and arguably the worst ultra in the game (albeit, Guile's is seriously **** hard to perform, and Vega is...well, Vega). People have compared him to Third Strike Ken (because he does keep a lot of his 3S moves, mostly his Roundhouse/Fierce moves), but really, I refuse to compare him to 3S Ken since 3S Ken was foxking Jesus tier in that game. In here, he reuses the same general combos over and over, and is a poor excuse for a poker. I'll admit, I feel comfortable with Ken, and always have. Anytime I touch a new SF game, Ken is first (unless Dan is there! =D). This time though? Nah. Despite feeling comfy, I just can't pick Ken, and neither should you. Ryu's just all-around better.

Dan...for those who haven't played Dan yet, I have something to tell you...

HE ISN'T IN THE BOTTOM TIER! HOLY SCHMIDT! Dan's Gadouken leaves his hand, his Koryuken has an angle, his Ultra does the most damage of Ultras (as far as I've noticed) and has nice reach (although nothing can compete with Rose's Illusion Spark). To be completely honest, I'd compare him to Ryu (since, despite how things seem, Ken and Ryu are NOT to be compared). Although it's pretty much fact Ryu's better than Dan (because Dan being high tier would be wtf?), Dan's Koryuken is better, his Mid and Fierce Dankyu Kyaku are tricky mix-ups, and finally, his light Dankyu Kyaku is much like a Tiger Knee in terms of mix-up and set-ups.

All in all, Dan is looking to be a contender. As most people have noticed, having a good Ultra means a LOT in this game, and as I said, I'm pretty sure Dan's packs the most damage (I've noticed in the few Dan videos posted, Dan's ultra always takes out over half their health. Although, I'd believe it if Akuma or Zangief beat his). He also says Yahoo, which instantly places him in top tier.

depends who is getting ultra'd - but i'm almost certain dan doesn't have the most damaging ultra. might not even be in the top 5. what DOES make it so appealing is the incredible priority it has

and the actual ultra itself gran_risa.gif

dan's wake up ultra punishes almost everything though. except focus attacks. I think it get's parried by focus attacks.

quarzark said:

dan's wake up ultra punishes almost everything though. except focus attacks. I think it get's parried by focus attacks.

It's considered 1 hit, so yes, it is.

GouHadou said:

depends who is getting ultra'd - but i'm almost certain dan doesn't have the most damaging ultra. might not even be in the top 5. what DOES make it so appealing is the incredible priority it has

Iuno, most character's Ultras are weak because they combo so well. Then you have just strong ones, like the ones I mentioned. Like I've said, everytime I've witnessed a Dan use the ultra, it takes out seemingly half health or more. Although you're certainly right, Dan and Rose have just stupid priority.

After watching Dhalsm, he reminds me a bit of a mix between Magneto and Urien, in that a ton of his set-ups involve shooting something there way, then teleporting to the other side for combosauce. It's a shame his damage output isn't so good, but it's the sheer skill behind him that makes me so interested in him. That, and he is constantly placed in the mid or low tier brackets, even though he won Japanese nats and is often being showed as a complete rapesauce character.

OH! Did anybody else notice Crimson Viper being top tier? Hot ****, I had a feeling it was possible, but my question is...

HOW IN THE EFF DO PEOPLE MAKE HER FLAME KICK SO QUICK? EVERYTIME I USE IT IT HAS SLOW-ASS START-UP ANIMATION? THE HELL?!

almost all ultra's do roughly 50% + damage on their own. Generally, the weaker the ultra (Sakura) the easier it is to hit with/combo into. On the other hand, the ones that do the most damage are generally harder to do or have little to no way to hit confirm them (Akuma).

Also, I haven't played the character, but I would assume you do fire kick quickly by doing the light version.

Homme Chapeau said:

quarzark said:

uh... i don't think it works that way - dan's ultra is effectively a 'raging demon' - if the first hit connects, the rest happens automatically. pretty sure i've nailed people trying to focus.

ultras like rufus (or dan's super) which just throw a bunch of limbs at you can get punished by a focus attack within the first hit. rufus DOES have armor break on the 3rd hit (might be second, but know it's 3rd) so the timing on the focus has to be incredible.

GouHadou said:

Homme Chapeau said:

quarzark said:

uh... i don't think it works that way - dan's ultra is effectively a 'raging demon' - if the first hit connects, the rest happens automatically. pretty sure i've nailed people trying to focus.

ultras like rufus (or dan's super) which just throw a bunch of limbs at you can get punished by a focus attack within the first hit. rufus DOES have armor break on the 3rd hit (might be second, but know it's 3rd) so the timing on the focus has to be incredible.

I will test out if you can focus dan's ultra tomorrow and get back to you on that...

GouHadou said:

I don't think it has armor break, if only because the focus will give you one hit of armor. Since Rufus' ultra is multi-hit, by the second or third hit, it will break.

;_; ...

And us poor PC gamers once more get treated like second class citizens and have to wait three more months to play.

DrUnK3n_PaNdA said:

;_; ...

And us poor PC gamers once more get treated like second class citizens and have to wait three more months to play.

Consider this : It's a freaking privilege for you guys to get the game, because usually fighting games do NOT come out on PC, or if so, are very poorly received.

Homme Chapeau said:

GouHadou said:

I don't think it has armor break, if only because the focus will give you one hit of armor. Since Rufus' ultra is multi-hit, by the second or third hit, it will break.

yes, but there is the chance that there first hit or 2 can miss due to positioning.

GouHadou said:

yes, but there is the chance that there first hit or 2 can miss due to positioning.

Honestly if the first two hits miss I doubt the third one will. I'd need to test that out though.

According to the training manual, Rufus 2nd and 3rd hit on his Ultimate have Armor Break. How USEFUL that is, I'll leave up to you.

i KNEW it. consider this:

certain characters have moves that grant them armor (usually an EX move). like gief's bear grab. started close enough, the bear grab can possibly eat the first hit of the ultra and powerbomb the fatty. or 'rog ex dash punch.