FAQ / Clarifications on Guide & Vault Products and the WFRP Release Schedule

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

RabidWookie said:

Will the Player's Vault contain all of the player material from the Core Set, Signs of Faith, and WInds of Magic? If so, why would anyone buy those previous sets?

Just the information on cards as easy reference. just the card information not what is actually printed in the respective books. So yeah you still need those books to play....

RabidWookie said:

Will the Player's Vault contain all of the player material from the Core Set, Signs of Faith, and WInds of Magic? If so, why would anyone buy those previous sets?

It seems it will contain ALL of the careers, action cards, etc. from all of the releases so far + Signs of Faith. It will not contain the rules for play; just the components that would allow any player to join a group that uses the components.

Other questions still unanswered.

+12 on the creature vault problem. I'd really like an answer there as well.

1) Will the player vault also include the signs of faith, winds of magic, adventurer's toolkit, cards and chits. If so, why should I buy the Signs of Faith if I soon will get those in the 2 new vaults.

commoner said:

1) Will the player vault also include the signs of faith, winds of magic, adventurer's toolkit, cards and chits. If so, why should I buy the Signs of Faith if I soon will get those in the 2 new vaults.

Well, for one thing the Player's Vault description doesn't mention anything about the Nurgle part of SoF.

macd21 said:

commoner said:

Well, for one thing the Player's Vault description doesn't mention anything about the Nurgle part of SoF.

Which, of course if you were patient and just waited another 7 or 8 months you could probably get anyway as part of a Ruinous Powers Guide/Vault.

DongMaster said:

Since I do not need anything, the collector in me takes over:

I am getting all of this! cool.gif

You and me both!

Bugboy said:

Which, of course if you were patient and just waited another 7 or 8 months you could probably get anyway as part of a Ruinous Powers Guide/Vault.

I'm thinking they'll release a Guide/Vault combo every time they finish a certain cycle. If they have brought out boxes for all the Ruinous powers, they'll bring out one for Chaos, and they'll probably bring out a complete races Guide/Vault combining the Dwarven, Elven and (here's hoping) Halfling sourcebox.

jeffeoff said:

DongMaster said:

Since I do not need anything, the collector in me takes over:

I am getting all of this! cool.gif

You and me both!

I got the same problem - I'ma huge fan and I got collectors soul so I will buy all of this. I just don't know how my walet will servive the fal of this year.

Oh, and Players and GM Guide/ Vaults has no material on the Ruinius Powers so there will be no Tzeentch and Nurgle or Khorne info in it. And I will say that what I think Ynnen's said in his FAQ and how I understanded him : all other expansions are still going to be published in the old version. So there will be no new format adventures or expansions! This new format is just the optional version of the Core Set and nothing more!

So I don't think that after the 7 or 8 months You will see other books in new format. cool.gif

ffgfan said:

And I will say that what I think Ynnen's said in his FAQ and how I understanded him : all other expansions are still going to be published in the old version. So there will be no new format adventures or expansions! This new format is just the optional version of the Core Set and nothing more!

So I don't think that after the 7 or 8 months You will see other books in new format. cool.gif

THIS I'd like to see confirmed or not.

If it's mainly just the "beginning" core stuff that's being released in 2 formats and everything after that as normal (or with a hefty delay) then I won't fear an edition war where "lite" rules may outcompete the "as originally intended" rules so much.

Though it would also mean that the books in the new boxes would have to have all the information printed twice ie. both "lite" and "as originally intended" or we'll have to listen to endless complaints from "lite" groups that they have to wait for their version of adventures etc.

Well, this announcement proved, that if we're loud, FFG will try to do what they can to please us... I think if there's a need for it, we'll see next year's material in the same guide/vault format too. :)

42! said:

ffgfan said:

And I will say that what I think Ynnen's said in his FAQ and how I understanded him : all other expansions are still going to be published in the old version. So there will be no new format adventures or expansions! This new format is just the optional version of the Core Set and nothing more!

THIS I'd like to see confirmed or not.

As I read the FAQ this has been confirmed:

Q: How about future supplements?
A: These will be released in the same way that we have released our supplements to date (such as "The Gathering Storm" and "Winds of Magic") including both the rules, source materials, and components in one box

Or do you interpret this statement somehow differently?

ozean said:

As I read the FAQ this has been confirmed:

A: These will be released in the same way that we have released our supplements to date (such as "The Gathering Storm" and "Winds of Magic") including both the rules, source materials, and components in one box

Or do you interpret this statement somehow differently?

Reading it again no - I guess I just automatically expected that they'd also make "lite" versions of these as I can only imagine the loud complaints from "lite" fans when they realize they have to pay for bits they don't need in future boxes. If the answer to the faq holds true (and I don't see why it shouldn't) then I won't mind the HC "lite" versions also being available.

Ravenheart87 said:

Well, this announcement proved, that if we're loud, FFG will try to do what they can to please us... I think if there's a need for it, we'll see next year's material in the same guide/vault format too. :)

I don't think so. Read the FAQ once more.

There is written definitly that all other materials will still be in old format in boxes. So if I get things right it means that those are only new format books so this is a optional version of the core set and nothing more.

It is written, but it can change. Who knows what will happen till next fall?

Ravenheart87 said:

It is written, but it can change. Who knows what will happen till next fall?

I suppose Jay Little knows more than little.

plutonick said:

I suppose Jay Little knows more than little.

I sure he knows more and I hope he will share his knowledge with us. happy.gif

Preaty please Jay! give us a little more info about all of this and maybe some more sneak picks? gran_risa.gif

Omg...the product line now is just a BIG MESS!!

what puzzle me more is...what the hell is inside the player vault??! are u really saying that it contains ALL the cards from core set + ALL the cards from winds of magic + ALL the cards from sign of faith + basic action for one more players??! and what about carrer sheets (from all this expansion), and new carrers/action cards from adventurer's guide box?? they are also in???

c'mon..it can be that they are condensing 90% of the "bitz" printed until now in a single product....

PS: cant believe they are doing this move...why dont they just sell the various books unboxed, and upload the "one or two pages rules to play without components", so the naysayers of the ORIGINAL and SUCCESFULL game concept could stop complain and all will be fine???!

Ghiacciolo said:

Omg...the product line now is just a BIG MESS!!

what puzzle me more is...what the hell is inside the player vault??! are u really saying that it contains ALL the cards from core set + ALL the cards from winds of magic + ALL the cards from sign of faith + basic action for one more players??! and what about carrer sheets (from all this expansion), and new carrers/action cards from adventurer's guide box?? they are also in???

c'mon..it can be that they are condensing 90% of the "bitz" printed until now in a single product....

PS: cant believe they are doing this move...why dont they just sell the various books unboxed, and upload the "one or two pages rules to play without components", so the naysayers of the ORIGINAL and SUCCESFULL game concept could stop complain and all will be fine???!

What will happen is that new supplements will appear in the same manner as they have in the past (with the exception of including the new monster cards). Likely, at some point in the distant future a new hardcover guide or (more likely just) a vault, will be produced that will contain the "new" information covering information since the first one.

Yes, the players vault has all the player-usable cards up to Signs of Faith, and talents, etc from what Jay said.

The Core Set is a single purchase item that is everything needed for the GM + 3 (or more) players to play the game with just that purchase.

It is not 90% of the bitz being condensed, although it is quite a bit of it, yes.

Ghiacciolo said:

why dont they just sell the various books unboxed, and upload the "one or two pages rules to play without components", so the naysayers of the ORIGINAL and SUCCESFULL game concept could stop complain and all will be fine???!

I guess one of the reasons is that so many people have (justifiedly) complained about the editing and organization of the core rulebook that it really made sense both for them and the community to issue new rulebooks that make things easier and that include the errata. That way they can sell new stuff and we get better or at least better organized content – without invalidating whatever we have bought so far. For me, this is not a problem at all – although I am not sure if I will have the money to pay for the new guides – as I am already having better roleplaying sessions with the stuff that I have bought so far than I ever did before. So yay for WFRP!

dvang said:

Yes, the players vault has all the player-usable cards up to Signs of Faith, and talents, etc from what Jay said.

Where is it specifically that Jay has said that the vault will contain all of those?

I've seen that the players guide will contain all info on players cards up to Signs of faith, but the Vault only talks about replication of the cards from the core box; has it been confirmed that all the player-usable cards will be in the vault, and if so where, I thought that was just still speculation?

pumpkin said:

dvang said:

Where is it specifically that Jay has said that the vault will contain all of those?

I think the clue here is that he said this – not wrote this gui%C3%B1o.gif As far as I understood it, this is information dvang got from Jay when he talked with him at GenCon or when he participated in The Vicious Little Seminar.

ozean said:

pumpkin said:

dvang said:

I think the clue here is that he said this – not wrote this gui%C3%B1o.gif As far as I understood it, this is information dvang got from Jay when he talked with him at GenCon or when he participated in The Vicious Little Seminar.

Thanks yer, I've caught Dvang's other post about GenCon now.

So I guess my question is now, if i am thinking of getting the GM's guide (because the healing clarifications and other bits might prove useful), then do i look to think about getting the player's guide and vault, and forget about buying Signs of Faith because all the info from that will be in the other three products...

I'm still a bit fried, but I am pretty sure that Jay said at the seminar that the Player's Vault will include all the current PC-usable action cards. I could be mistaken (it's been a long weekend), so Jay when you read this, feel free to post and correct me so I'm not sowing disinformation and confusing people.

Keep in mind that not everything from the supplements is included in the various Guides/Vaults. Most noticeably, the excellent adventures as well as any background information that might be included in one of the supplements.

With just those, you've got a good incentive to pick the supplements up in addition to the guides/vaults.

Edit: Looking at the picture of the Players Vault slide, I am thinking the PV actually does NOT include any career cards, since none are shown on the slide. Action cards and talents, yes. So, if that is the case, the supplements will be needed for the careers as well.

Oh yeah, and by the way ... just so you know the WFRP Dev team is basically 2 people, Jay and Dan (I'm not talking about artists or playtesters, just game Dev). Look at the amount of stuff they've currently put out, and all the stuff they're planning on putting out in the next year. These guys are working VERY hard to get a lot of stuff out to us as fast as they can, and I think they're doing a remarkable job.

aplauso.gif

dvang said:

These guys are working VERY hard to get a lot of stuff out to us as fast as they can, and I think they're doing a remarkable job.

aplauso.gif

I concur, and what's more the stuff they are producing is of great quality visually and currently far less "buggy" than some other RPG releases. To have the majority of rules on the cards and to have only a few cards with typos on and only a couple that actually need amending for game balance is a real feat, IMO.

With all due repsect to the DH guys, the amount of errata and clarifications on that rule book is less than desirable, in contrast, although they took that printing over from BI, didn't they, not that i am pointing any fingers because I lack any relevant information or inside knowlegde to suggest why that ruleset is so buggy...I am just making a contrast to show how spot on the 3rd edition production is...

The way I see it is they will make the box set as is and the vaults and hard covers will follow after. It sounds pretty good to me and Im a Box?bitz player.

Now I can just get the players Vault and add exter players, Cards and now 2+ players can be the same class type. Now I don't have to buy another Big Box Sarted. Works for me. You can extras of what you need no more no less. Also your players can buy a palyers book for themselfs now if that is all they are looking for.

Did not see and sighs of dice in the players/GM vault so the BOX big over all is still the better buy.

As for the Lite play style won't really know what to think about that till I read it.

That it.

LOve the game!

On a side note How many of you posted that this format would be welcomed as a RPG style for Runebound/Descent world.

Just my two cents. gran_risa.gif