Uh big change, little notice.

By Peacekeeper_b, in Dark Heresy

Agreed, there are still a few bugs in the system, on the other hand it is not really finished in my opinion. Be so fair and give it a few days, it is after all still a FREE forum.

Erm, that's what people are trying to point out, I believe, segara82. While much of this can be developed on a testing server, some of the little bugs are only going to be pointed out when you get the client base up and running, cheaply testing it beyond what the web developers would have been able to do. Thus, pointing out the bugs is probably a part of the process! gran_risa.gif

With that said, the "free forum" argument is a bit weak, if you will forgive me. How many people would join the " Dark Heresy community" if you actually had to pay to be a member? I certainly wouldn't, but maybe the great fans of the system would . I have my doubts, though.

Incidentally, cleaning up the formatting thing would be nice, such that you could press Ctrl-I to start typing in italicised text, and then again to stop it. At the moment, as above, you have to go through the text, highlight it and then add the formatting. Very frustrating for those used to keyboard shortcuts, and an invisible change to those that go back and format the text in another way.

Kage

With the 'free forum' i was refering to the non-exisiting GW-Forum for their products. Although they are the biggest TT-producer, they don't have one, and that goes for a few other companies. What i am trying to say is this: they are so nice to give us a free place to rant about/discuss/talk/fantasize about their universes/games/miniatures. They move from their old forums/servers to new ones. Considering the size of it it is hard to do in just a day or two. I am no employee, therefore i do not know if they (plan to) move the old threads into the new one (which is also no small task). So i try to be fair and give them a week to get everything up and running.

after said week, i will of course be a tid bit miffed and start bitching.

No it means in typical fan boy style Im going to have a chip on my shoulder while Im on this forum for a little while until I get adjusted and use to the new format.

Similar to how I went from BI to FFG first forum.

But naturally I will become accustomed to the changed and when people say things like "you hated it at first" Ill say "sha as if..."

Apologies for the nightmarish quote glitch in this reply. The forum doesn't like you to reply to more than one person at a time. (Now there's a recipe for spamming.)

segara82 said:

With the 'free forum' i was refering to the non-exisiting GW-Forum for their products. Although they are the biggest TT-producer, they don't have one, and that goes for a few other companies.

Although they used to have one. I remain blissfully unaware of why they put a stop to it, although it might have had something to do with the quality of the posts. angel.gif

segara82 said:

What i am trying to say is this: they are so nice to give us a free place to rant about/discuss/talk/fantasize about their universes/games/miniatures.

Well, it's not as if it really costs that much to maintain. Forums are always going to crop up about RPGs, etc. Thus the forum becomes an obvious marketting ploy (hence the "community" aspects of selecting games, etc. -- one big push/incentive system for shifting more of their product range). And that's fair enough , once again.

segara82 said:

I am no employee, therefore i do not know if they (plan to) move the old threads into the new one (which is also no small task). So i try to be fair and give them a week to get everything up and running.

I have my doubts. Why bother converting the database from one structure to another when you can get the plebs (us!) to move over the discussions that we consider interesting, and without a cent paid to the people doing the work. gran_risa.gif

peacekeeper_b said: "But naturally I will become accustomed to the changed and when people say things like "you hated it at first" Ill say "sha as if..."

partido_risa.gif

Edit: Well, multiple quotes are going to be somewhat annoying. Perhaps that is something that might want to be addressed. Either that or people aren't going to bother with using the quote system in the first place. llorando.gif

Kage

Peacekeeper_b said:

But naturally I will become accustomed to the changed and when people say things like "you hated it at first" Ill say "sha as if..."

You see, I actualy quite like this new board, except the bugs, of course.

There, now in three weeks time, I can point to this post, and say, 'I always liked it!' Thats forward thinking for you!

Something I don't like though, is the formating. I have gotten used to the tags for formatting and links, and changing is going to be a bit difficult, and time consuming.

Okay, I really do hate the quote system....

PM102 said:

You see, I actualy quite like this new board, except the bugs, of course.

As above, very pretty. gran_risa.gif

PM102 said:

Something I don't like though, is the formating. I have gotten used to the tags for formatting and links, and changing is going to be a bit difficult, and time consuming.

Aye, and cross posting to the other boards. Has a warning even gone up that they're going to be closing it down? If there is one then it's probably in one of those sticky threads...

Kage

It has, it's in the sticky where it mentions that it is migrating in the first place.

They are being locked on the 5th of december, and deleted on the 31st.

So not a great amount of time to move those thousands of threads!

Well, it seems that Wu-Ming is doing some hard slog at this. I cannot think of anything that I see as really being needed over here, but there we go. It might be the same 'ole discussion happening all over again, but perhaps there will be some new and interesting tid-bits to arise because of this.

And, you know, I didn't actually see that sticky. My brain seems to automatically remove them as "uninteresting." I'll be buggered, though, there it is. sonrojado.gif

Kage

Forgive the serial post, but I just thought that I would mention that there is a thread over in the Support forum that does have people discussing on how to improve the forums. You can find it here .

In finding that thread, though, I stumbled on something that might help some people get to grips with the various problems with the new forum software, including the bouncing text, no keyboard shortcuts, etc. The only problem with the solution is that it requires that you actually get to grips with the HTML coding of the reply itself. To access the code, just press Control and, while it is still depressed, press the Tab key once. The FCKeditor interface will disappear and you will be able to directly type your reply. Of course, then you have to do things like adding the "paragraph" tags, type in the code for quote marks, the various tags for formatting, etc., but in many ways it acts like the UBB interface while giving you a whole lot more options.

As a quick little experience, one wonders whether it might be a temporary solution to the horrible quote system that the software has going for it:

PM102 said:
So not a great amount of time to move those thousands of threads!

Just a quick test to see if it would work!

Yeesh, but it takes a bit of time putting in those tags and the CSS styles. gran_risa.gif

Kage

Kage2020 said:

. ...

Incidentally, cleaning up the formatting thing would be nice, such that you could press Ctrl-I to start typing in italicised text, and then again to stop it. At the moment, as above, you have to go through the text, highlight it and then add the formatting. Very frustrating for those used to keyboard shortcuts, and an invisible change to those that go back and format the text in another way.

Kage

Well one interesing related thing I've found is the way the forum works currently if you ctl-x or clt-c something from another site (including embedded images) or from a .doc or .rtf it retains all of the formating for you. Much faste than adding in teh BBC code by hand or even the hated highlt and buton hunt. (I am with you there Kage)

Kage2020 said:

Well, it seems that Wu-Ming is doing some hard slog at this. I cannot think of anything that I see as really being needed over here, but there we go. It might be the same 'ole discussion happening all over again, but perhaps there will be some new and interesting tid-bits to arise because of this.

And, you know, I didn't actually see that sticky. My brain seems to automatically remove them as "uninteresting." I'll be buggered, though, there it is. sonrojado.gif

Kage

To be honest I am mostly grabbing stuf I had meant to d/l for my own use -- I actually have a formatted version of T.S stuff from the 'old' forums I use for my games. I've also just been trying to get mostly house rules and such additions that to me knowledge have not been alternately persereved (like at UA or DR.)

I thought about getting the Gucci thread but thought 'better' of it. gui%C3%B1o.gif

My resistance to this is that it bloats the database entry with lots of inline styles that, while not a problem for the user, is just... I don't know. Displeasing in general. That and to be able to put in replies you've got to use another software program, set up styles for consistency in quoting, etc. Just seems like something that should be fixed. The fact that I'm typing this in HTML says volumes, I thinkā€”I feel that I have much greater control of how my post looks, special characters, and so forth.

A bit slower, for sure, but there we go. It also means that I can have fun with different looks for quotes until I figure out one that I like! angel.gif

Kage

Nyargle. It seems that the forum software might strip out text randomly. I thought it would be far more likely that it would have stripped out the styling, but nooo... preocupado.gif

Guess I am going to have to use another piece of software. Problem then is that we might end up with similar problems with text disappearing since copy/pasting is going to at least quadruple the number of styles used...

Ah well.

New forum glitches and all that.

Kage

Hmm....any change of being kind to old eyes and upping the text contrast a bit. Light grey on drak grey oesn't really suit old codgers like me. preocupado.gif

Any chance of white text?

I had a mope about looking for 'personal settings' or something but no joy...

Other than that, and the usual teething troubles (i still get shunted out to the main page after posting), looking good. aplauso.gif

well I've made it through 3 generations of boards now!

I like the smoother interface but abit more warning would have been soo much better. I hate to sound like a winer but seriously a weeks notice as courtesy to the fans was impossible?

Luddite said:

Any chance of white text?

I had a mope about looking for 'personal settings' or something but no joy...

There are ways of making that happen. It's just rather time consuming to be able to do it without the FFG guys changing their stylesheet.

I have the same problem at Strike-to-stun ever since Natasha changed to the 'new' forums after the relaunch I have trouble reading there. I fill you Ludite.

Wu Ming said:

I fill you Ludite.

partido_risa.gif

Perhaps one of the most disturbing typographics that I've seen in some time.

Kage

I meant every word.

sonrojado.gif

btw Kage nice lipstick...

Y'all are very disturbed people :)

Wu Ming said:

btw Kage nice lipstick...

It's... erm... blood. Just got out of a fight. You should see the other guy, etc. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Kage

Koolzoid said:

Y'all are very disturbed people :)

Tis the nature of people who argue over 40K fluff all day. Blood, lipstick, eh, it fits.

Peacekeeper_b said:

Tis the nature of people who argue over 40K fluff all day. Blood, lipstick, eh, it fits.

*sniff* I prefer the term "argubate" myself. sorpresa.gif

Kage

Ashen Victor said:

Yes, we have .

But still no Calixis enciclopedia of planets... -_-U

Aha! There we go. Thanks!