Uh big change, little notice.

By Peacekeeper_b, in Dark Heresy

Erg...

Not a huge fan of the layout or the grey on grey colour scheme for text.

But I won't complain: glad to still have access to the community.

So how do i make my text white then Kage?

There appears to be no colour edit option, and coding from the old board doesn't work...

You see, THIS is why i'm a Luddite...technical change to the detriment of Humanity (or me in this case), is not progress... enfadado.gif

And i'm still getting shunted out to the front page after posting. llorando.gif

Necrozius said:

Erg...

This may be one of the few times that I've had dichromatic vision work in my favour. The grey on grey (as you all seem to call it) has been incredibly easy on my poor, overwraught eyes. However, in order to register for this brave new forum, I had to highlight areas such as players name in order to see what in the name if the undying Emperor of mankind I typed into said space.

A small thing to be sure.

What I take from this is the following: If I find this "grey on grey" so easy to read and everyone else does not, does that mean they see this board with the same difficulty I had when I registered?

preocupado.gif I've entered a bizarro world forum... [ominously musical]dum dum DUM!

Vespers said:

This may be one of the few times that I've had dichromatic vision work in my favour. The grey on grey (as you all seem to call it) has been incredibly easy on my poor, overwraught eyes. However, in order to register for this brave new forum, I had to highlight areas such as players name in order to see what in the name if the undying Emperor of mankind I typed into said space.

True, it IS easy on the eyes.

I just wish that it had a bit more contrast. I'll live with it, though. Complaining for too long can be lame.

Excuse my ignorance, but can someone tell me, if and how I can send Private Messages? DidnĀ“t find it.

Thx

I haven't been able to figure that out, eithier. Alternately is there any diffrence if you click the 'Reply' button attached to a specific reply in a thread vs. the 'Big Blue Button' at tthe bottom of the page?

Nope, it is something else you can't do on the forum...

Luddite said:

So how do i make my text white then Kage?

There appears to be no colour edit option, and coding from the old board doesn't work...

You see, THIS is why i'm a Luddite...technical change to the detriment of Humanity (or me in this case), is not progress... enfadado.gif

And i'm still getting shunted out to the front page after posting. llorando.gif

Ludite, To change your text to white, fallow these steps.

Type what ever message it is you wish to post.

Once done, press Ctrl+Tab (both keys at the same time). This will switch to html view. You'll see a lot of odd formatting tags and what not. Ignore most everything.

Right before the first instance of "<p>" press enter to make a new line and on that line type the fallowing: <span style="color : #ffffff;">

Now, go to the very end of your text and make a new line. There type in the fallowing: </span>

An alternate method for times when you post just a paragraph or two would be to find each "<p>" which should be at the beginning of each paragraph, make a space between the "p" and the ">" and in that space, type in the fallowing: style="color : #ffffff;" to make each "<p>" look like this: <p style="color : #ffffff;">.

Hope that helps.

Now if I can just get used to not double spacing...

Cheers for the advice Graver.

However, it doesn't appear to work for me.

Crtl+Tab doesn't convert to html view for me it would see...hmmm.... serio.gif

Vespers said:

Necrozius said:

Erg...

What I take from this is the following: If I find this "grey on grey" so easy to read and everyone else does not, does that mean they see this board with the same difficulty I had when I registered?

preocupado.gif I've entered a bizarro world forum... [ominously musical]dum dum DUM!

It is bad but not that bad. It just strain my eyes and I sometimes highligh some of the text to keep track of where I am in the text. I can read it without though. But it is much easier to read when Graver maeks the text white although the contrast gets a bit sharp then.

Meta said:

Vespers said:

Necrozius said:

Erg...

It is bad but not that bad. It just strain my eyes and I sometimes highligh some of the text to keep track of where I am in the text. I can read it without though. But it is much easier to read when Graver maeks the text white although the contrast gets a bit sharp then.

While, stylistically, the gray on gray is fairly modern looking and sleek, it's not that great for forums. It's a matter of style over function.

There's been a lot of work done and looked into on how we read text and steps taken to optimize our ability to quickly and easily identify letters and words. This is why, in print, the default is to use a serifed font. The slight curves and tails to the letters help guide the eye, add an extra identifiable feature to the character, and seems, all around, simply easer on the eyes. However, this was proven to not be the case on computer screens where the pixelated serf tails only added clutter and confusion for the eye to sort out. This is why the default in digital print has turned to the sans-serif fonts. Their simplicity is much easer on the eyes when displayed in pixels. Colors also matter.

When light text is displayed on a dark background, it adds a certain drama to the text. It can be eye catching (white on black) or sleek. However, it really only works for short chunks of text. Too much and the sharp boldness will just make our eyes swim. I think it might be due to our natural tendency of our eyes wanting to settle on dark areas as opposed to light ones. When the text is dark, our eyes will stay with it. When the text is light, it wants to find a darker area to settle on. I might be wrong on that, but it's still a common held belief in the design community that if you're going to deal with a lot of text, then it needs to be dark text on a light background.

To that end, I've set this post to be black. Dose that help or hurt legibility?

And the input window resizing when a new line of text is added is getting freaking old. Every time it resets it's scroll and I have to stop and rescroll to find the text i have been typing. Buggy to say the least.

Testing.

I think I like this!

Bummer that I'd have to edit html styles each and every time, though.

I wonder if they could just add a formatting button to choose font colour?

The black isn't helping me any, admidtedly though, I have piss-poor eyesight. The lack though is a bit more grating than the grey, it could be though the background keeps changing I find the lighter of the two backgrounds to be easier to read over than the darker one, on which I cannot tell bolded from non-bolded text.

I appear to have lost the ability to edit my own posts now too...

Luddite said:

Cheers for the advice Graver.

However, it doesn't appear to work for me.

Crtl+Tab doesn't convert to html view for me it would see...hmmm.... serio.gif

Now, that's just weird. Dose anything at all happen when you push both keys at once? Do you do such when the courser is in the input window making it "active" or when the courser is not in the input window?

I don't know if this has a bearing on the ctrl+tab issue or not, but what web browser are you using and what operating system (usually some form of windows or Mac OS)?

Edit #4: Odd, I can edit my posts... I do know there's something like a 5 minute rule on post editing... but as long as you hit that itty bitty edit before then, you should be able to... or not. The mystery continues...

Ditto.

I guess that they're performing maintenance.

Or they're implementing VERY strict rules in regards to quality assurance. We have to post very carefully from now on! serio.gif

(man these emoticons are sappy)

I think its this thread. It alwasy displays 'New' for me and says Graver is the last poster despite being otherwise maybe the number of pages in the thread is too high. Also has anyone else noticed that the mouse overs and some code keeps switching between english and spanish?

Nahh the black is not easier to read on this background, although it better than the grey. But it is stil hard to kep track of where you are in the text.

This is aparently the second most read thread on the entire board. sorpresa.gif

I'm probably just an idiot, but can anyone tell me how to mark/watch threads. I access the board from multiple computers, and I don't want to rely on a browser bookmark. The old forums had a profile based bookmark (and Dark Reign has the Notify feature).

It looks like the new boards have gotten a good shakedown from the regulars. Maybe one of you know how to do this.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that it is an option... aplauso.gif

Kage

It does appear as if they fixed the font colour though. That's a good sign. gran_risa.gif

Then I have left my mark LOL