Republic article

By ninclouse2000, in Star Wars: Armada

As someone who was planning to have a battlegroup of 3 Venators, this sure is a punch in the gut. Just dollar per value, $65 is so far off it's not even funny. Like compare what you can get for $65 in legion vs a couple inch ship that's been painted here. Also, not including Yularen or like literally anyone else character wise is very questionable.

Not to mention I was planning to bulk up my Separatist fleet similarly. The whole pricing thing feels kind of predatory considering TCW's popularity.

36 minutes ago, Ilostmycactus said:

Also, not including Yularen or like literally anyone else character wise is very questionable.

This was just an announcement article. There are gonna be more than just 3 upgrade cards in the expansion. And im pretty sure that the second commander is either gonna be General Skywalker or Admiral Yularen.

2 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

Thematically that wouldn’t make sense. As I mentioned the republic was supposed to use the Pelta as a blockade runner or transport, not as a carrier or command vessel. So I would think it would end up with a Command of 2, Squadron of 1 and Engineering of 4. It’s true that the engineering value is good, but if it starts at 56 points like the Rebel version and only has a speed 2, the engineering value would not be a great selling point, especially with those dice.

Also the Rebel version has 4 upgrade slots (not including title or possible commander), at best they would maybe add a Weapons Team slot, but I’m sure they’d lose the Fleet Command slot.

So unless they change the ship’s purpose from what it was intended, I can’t see it ever being taken over a Consular Charger.

Let's be honest, it's not like most Armada ships make much thematic sense. The 280 meter flagship of a small splinter group gets fleet commands, including in its assault refit version, but neither of the movie flagships for the entire Rebel fleet can get them, including the MC80 Command Cruiser variant. Liberty-type MC80s carry at least 36 fighters (latest canon is apparently now "up to 10 squadrons"), but in Armada it's a worse carrier than the Phoenix Home (5-8 A-wings), the AFMK2 (up to 6 fighters or one shuttle), and both VSDs (24 TIEs). Similarly, the GR-75 is just as good a carrier as the Liberty despite the fact that it literally can't carry fighters at all. Don't get me started on how flak works or what ships have what flak dice. Thematic accuracy has always been ignored when it conflicts with what FFG wants to do gameplay-wise.

And yes, Home One came out in Wave 2, but its been five years since Wave 5 was released. They've had plenty of time to address that one if they cared (e.g. a large Mon Cal cruiser-only title "Headquarters Frigate" as part of the MC75 release, à la the "Chimaera" title).

2 hours ago, >kkj said:

This was just an announcement article. There are gonna be more than just 3 upgrade cards in the expansion. And im pretty sure that the second commander is either gonna be General Skywalker or Admiral Yularen.

The thing I am worried about is the Venator section of the article and product page both mention Luminara and Plo Koon, which leads me to believe we are getting the two of them for the Venator and Tarkin and a unknown in the Pelta.

These popped up on the Armada Reddit (source is Asmodee's website) and I'm sure there will be a thread on them soon. But here they are just in case.

L5FrK8j.jpeg

fe6xW68.jpeg

Edited by Derpzilla88
29 minutes ago, Derpzilla88 said:

These popped up on the Armada Reddit (source is Asmodee's website) and I'm sure there will be a thread on them soon. But here they are just in case.

L5FrK8j.jpeg

fe6xW68.jpeg

90 point Venator-I?

*sigh*...anyone know any nice tombstones for cheap? Not gonna have a lot of money left for my soon to be dead wallet.

2 hours ago, Derpzilla88 said:

L5FrK8j.jpeg

fe6xW68.jpeg

So if those are not fakes (no reason to think they are), the Venator has equal shields to the ISD, but 2 less hull. And a 5 in Squadron! I am not disappointed. ☺️
So maybe the other version of the Pelta will have the Fleet Command slot as others have pointed out, but it looks like that’s another ship that has a Fleet Support slot for the Republic. I’m starting to think the people who have been saying, the Republic might not get a flotilla, might be right. Also, the Pelta is cheaper than the Rebel version that starts at 56. Boy I hope the Venator is speed 3. 🤞

While I'm waiting for the rest of the info for the Venator I class, I'm not liking what I'm seeing. Offensively it's barely better than an Acclimator I. Defensively it feels fine and I'm sure it has 4 defense tokens. It better be speed 3 and have at least squadron 4 or I'm concerned it'll be DOA

5 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

While I'm waiting for the rest of the info for the Venator I class, I'm not liking what I'm seeing. Offensively it's barely better than an Acclimator I. Defensively it feels fine and I'm sure it has 4 defense tokens. It better be speed 3 and have at least squadron 4 or I'm concerned it'll be DOA

We still don't know the titles. And bear in mind we do have Luminara for a defensive option.

1 minute ago, TallGiraffe said:

We still don't know the titles. And bear in mind we do have Luminara for a defensive option.

Yeah there's still quite a few blanks left to fill in. However even without knowing the Venator II's cost I think the I is gonna be a tough sell over the II

Captain Silver is a neat easter-egg sorta. Not a clone I'd remembered hearing of before.

If it's speed 3, the Venator I is perfect!

5 squadron value! Suck it SSD, this is the original super carrier!

It’s true the Venator doesn’t have the kick we hoped, but if you take 2, you can control 12 fighters each turn. That’s a level of control never seen.

Or even if you take 1 Acclimator and 1 Venator, that’s still 10 fighters, each turn. Talk about fighter superiority! That means with sufficient upgrades all your fighters will get an extra die vrs other fighters and rerolls galore.

Im actually ok with the venator like this. This way you can see the progression to the VSD, and then the Imperial, which i remember in some fluff mon mothma complaining in the late clone wars were going to bankrupt the republic or something...

And being a bit cheaper and not as strong offensively hopefully means you can fit more squadrons in and play on the carrier theme.

If i wanted to be critical, i would say this makes the acclamators with 5 or 6 dice overgunned. The acclamator is designed as a clone assault ship, not a general combatant, and its a lot smaller.

28 minutes ago, Ophion said:

Im actually ok with the venator like this. This way you can see the progression to the VSD, and then the Imperial, which i remember in some fluff mon mothma complaining in the late clone wars were going to bankrupt the republic or something...

And being a bit cheaper and not as strong offensively hopefully means you can fit more squadrons in and play on the carrier theme.

If i wanted to be critical, i would say this makes the acclamators with 5 or 6 dice overgunned. The acclamator is designed as a clone assault ship, not a general combatant, and its a lot smaller.

If the Imperials ever get a Venator I think it will easily fit in that faction too as a large carrier. I wonder if you could fit an ISD, Venator and an Interdictor in a list and still have room for fighters. I guess there’s the cheap 8 point ties... a whole lot of them. When the Republic gets the clone version of the Z-95, they’ll have an even cheaper fighter to include (if they’re still 7 points each).

1 hour ago, JediPartisan said:

When the Republic gets the clone version of the Z-95, they’ll have an even cheaper fighter to include (if they’re still 7 points each).

The clone Z-95 has better weapons and shielding so I suspect that it won't be a cheap squadron but who knows what FFG/AMG will do.

1 hour ago, Piratical Moustache said:

The clone Z-95 has better weapons and shielding so I suspect that it won't be a cheap squadron but who knows what FFG/AMG will do.

Well, we still have the Y-wing. 😁

Venator has surprisingly underwhelming dice. Seppie stuff has suprisingly generous dice.

Which isn't to say that in-game either are good/bad necessarily for their cost.

On 1/26/2021 at 6:38 AM, geek19 said:

Businesses need to make money.

Yes they do. But there is a difference between being a pig and a hog. It is ok to be a little piggy, but no one likes a hog.

21 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

So if those are not fakes (no reason to think they are)

It is extremely easy to verify yourself if you're at all inclined.

Yikes, almost $100 CAD for the Venator? No thanks :( these prices are upsetting.

Wow, guess this means for sure I stay Civil War-only. Jesus, price hike. So FFG thinks both Seperatist ships, AND the Venator should be priced higher than even the Onager???

Edited by AegisGrimm
1 hour ago, Formynder4 said:

It is extremely easy to verify yourself if you're at all inclined.

Sorry, did what I said seem like sarcasm? If so it wasn’t intended, that’s why I put in brackets “no reason to think they are”.

Edited by JediPartisan
12 minutes ago, BlueSquadronPilot said:

Yikes, almost $100 CAD for the Venator? No thanks :( these prices are upsetting.

Did you find it up on a Canadian web site already? Or was that just with conversion from a US site?

I haven’t been able to find a Canadian site that has any of it up yet for preorder. I knew the price in CAD would be bad, but I was hoping it wouldn’t be more than $75 CAD.

And I hate that FFG or AMG is doing a price hike after removing dials, which already saves their company money, especially since we have to pay extra for said dials. Also I’m sure going to a single card size saves them money despite it being less convenient on the table. So instead of passing a savings on to us, they raise the price?

Im not totally clueless to not see the whole thing for what it is, a business in business to make money, but this is kind of shameless. I would expect a hike in prices because of the pandemic and even an unstable political climate, but so large of a hike after making cost saving measures, again it’s just shameless. The question is, was this Asmodee forcing a subsidiary to produce better revenue, or was this something typical of AMG? Also, also, just because GW is evil and likes to gouge its customers doesn’t make FFG or AMG so much better because they don’t gouge as badly, FFG/AMG is still gouging.

43 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

Sorry, did what I said seem like sarcasm? If so it wasn’t intended, that’s why I put in brackets “no reason to think they are”.

No, it didn't sound sarcastic, but given how easy it is to open up a new website, if there were any doubt at all it's too easy to clear up.