Republic article

By ninclouse2000, in Star Wars: Armada

I was interested in getting back into armada until I saw those prices. Makes it easy to say no. Game will continue to stay dead.

6 minutes ago, NeverTellMeTheOdds said:

I was interested in getting back into armada until I saw those prices. Makes it easy to say no. Game will continue to stay dead.

Yes the prices are steep. Seem to be about $10 higher or so

Just now, ninclouse2000 said:

Yes the prices are steep. Seem to be about $10 higher or so

Which is expected, given the increase in price of the squadron packs, but still - sheesh. And the Venator is $15 bucks more.

Ha. $65 Usd should translate to $84 australian over here but i bet they charge us at least a hundred. Thats even if theres stock to actually be bought!

Still, at armada release rates its still a lot more sustainable than legion or 40k!

The venator's looking very lackluster. I hope they've got some good upgrades or titles.

1 hour ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

Which is expected, given the increase in price of the squadron packs, but still - sheesh. And the Venator is $15 bucks more.

The Pelta is $40 vs $20 for a nebulon B or Imp light cruiser. The separatists destroyed being $65 is also insane. They’re wasting their time even producing these at this point. Maybe they don’t care because they’re losing control over it. Those prices would be fine if each expansion contained two ships, but not one...

Edited by NeverTellMeTheOdds
9 minutes ago, NeverTellMeTheOdds said:

The Pelta is $40 vs $20 for a nebulon B or Imp light cruiser. The separatists destroyed being $65 is also insane. They’re wasting their time even producing these at this point. Maybe they don’t care because they’re losing control over it. Those prices would be fine if each expansion contained two ships, but not one...

Yep. On the one hand, $30 -> $40 for the Pelta is a 33% markup, close to the squad pack. On the other, $30 was on the higher end for a small base and $40 is a sick joke. So is charging 160% the cost of an ISD for what looks to be a much smaller model.

3 Recusants = an SSD, apparently. That wasn't long enough ago to attribute to inflation.

They're not wasting their time producing such an iconic wave; those ships will sell out, guaranteed. They just won't sell to you or me. Pound for pound the competition starts to look much better at those rates.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Price wise, All the X-wing stuff went up about 30% awhile back. We all saw this coming. The only real surprise was the faction starters being pretty cheap.

Info wise. Those are pretty light articles. And the base models of the ships look pretty basic fire wise. Only real interesting thing looks like that Sep Destroyer. Which looks like a medium.

1 hour ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Yep. On the one hand, $30 -> $40 for the Pelta is a 33% markup, close to the squad pack. On the other, $30 was on the higher end for a small base and $40 is a sick joke. So is charging 160% the cost of an ISD for what looks to be a much smaller model.

3 Recusants = an SSD, apparently. That wasn't long enough ago to attribute to inflation.

They're not wasting their time producing such an iconic wave; those ships will sell out, guaranteed. They just won't sell to you or me. Pound for pound the competition starts to look much better at those rates.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Armada was huge at my LGS, bigger than even xwing or armada, and the new starters are just sitting on the shelves. I think they’ve waited to long to release these, combined with the pandemic and these crazy prices and I think the game is DOA.

Edited by NeverTellMeTheOdds

The thing for me is that I've lived through the same thing before. I started collecting Warhammer Fantasy in 2002. In Australia, the price hikes were regular and substantial.

1 hour ago, Bravo Null said:

The venator's looking very lackluster. I hope they've got some good upgrades or titles.

Yeah, and whats with all the black dice lately. All theses ships are kind of in the ISD 1 or Kuat flavor, can we please get some ISD2 flavored ships with exclusively red and blue dice?

25 minutes ago, LordCola said:

Yeah, and whats with all the black dice lately. All theses ships are kind of in the ISD 1 or Kuat flavor, can we please get some ISD2 flavored ships with exclusively red and blue dice?

Unlikely since there is not a single republic ship that has any sort of ion cannons and only a few on the separatist side (2 out of them have already been designed: Muni and Providence, the only other is the Malevolence)

1 hour ago, >kkj said:

Unlikely since there is not a single republic ship that has any sort of ion cannons and only a few on the separatist side (2 out of them have already been designed: Muni and Providence, the only other is the Malevolence)

Just cause it has blue dice, does not equal having ion cannons.

Based on the arcs the Venator reminds me a little of the Combat interdictor (with the addition of Expanded launchers). Only 2 red dice out of the main arcs doesn't seem that great, hopefully it is speed 3. Worryingly the diagram in the article is of the Venator-II so I assume the Venator-I is even more mediocre. The yellow dots seem rather close to the edges of the base allowing the side arc to be shot at by a ship off its 1 or 11 O'clock position. The front arc can be attacked from a target at 3 or 9 O'clock or even 5 and 7 O'clock.

Pelta seems to have lost a front black die compared to the Rebel version.

I think Tarkin is worse than the Imperial version. You have to select the flavor of the 6 tokens in advance where as the Imperial version can choose at the start of each turn and they have Sovereign. Yes you can take a single dial instead of 3-5 tokens but that doesn't seem a great trade for his 30 points compared to Piett. I still think he is a C+.

Barris spends the Redirect token before accuracies can shut it down and before intel officer can be declared and before Commander Palpataine forces a discard and it gives the similar effect to having advanced projectors on a ship. Saving that defense slot for something else is gold. Also doesn't exhaust so can be done twice or maybe even 4 times a turn. If Luminara is in charge of your fleet you may even do it more times. Question: As a redirect is spent in the declare target step, does that mean you can also redirect again in the spend defense tokens step?

Speaking of Luminara.... Wow! my favorite commander - open to so many strategies.

swm40_luminara.png

Imagine non-exhaust Hand of Justice (that also works on Aces) after almost every time the enemy pulls the trigger.

• If a Vulture shoots a red die at any ship and misses then you didn't spend 2+ defense tokens so you get a refresh within a 12" radius.
  • If a ship Flaks a bunch of your ace squadrons you can get 4 tokens turned green again.
  • Some Jedi Scatter Aces can hold out for an incredible amount of time against 10 TIE Bombers. No longer can they just abrade away your tokens.
  • TRC70s are now a thing. Get your evade back .

Even at $65 a pop, I will still be buying at least 4 Venators! 3 to run that iconic Republic battle fleet, 1 to modify into the Liberation!

With all the increased import costs, I'm honestly surprised they didn't have a price hike on the latest reprints. I am only too happy to keep supporting this game. GW games will have you paying more for less, and they will purposely shut down high selling games just so they can bring them back a year later with some new rules and a huge price jump.

Any effort to keep Armada viable will at least earn my business.

6 hours ago, Bravo Null said:

If it's primarily a carrier with lots of carriery features it makes sense to have it throwing fewer dice.

Well, it didn't became a broadsider as some expected. These would definitely convince me to buy the new starter packs, but the prices... Dear god! Two Venators cost more than an SSD. What were they thinking?

2 minutes ago, Norell said:

Well, it didn't became a broadsider as some expected. These would definitely convince me to buy the new starter packs, but the prices... Dear god! Two Venators cost more than an SSD. What were they thinking?

Wait huh? Isn't 65+65 equal 130? I thought an SSD was 200?

6 minutes ago, Norell said:

Probably 'raw material, labour and production and shipping costs have all risen 20% and our margins have shrunk, better put prices up'.

9 minutes ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

Wait huh? Isn't 65+65 equal 130? I thought an SSD was 200?

Welp... right. In my defense, it's very early in the morning :D It's still pricey.

1 minute ago, Norell said:

Welp... right. In my defense, it's very early in the morning :D It's still pricey.

Oh no not gonna deny that. Admittedly I have been expecting a price hike sometime soon, X-Wing and Legion already have had similar experiences. The new squadron packs also felt like to me hinted to it. But yeah, 15 dollar increase and a 10 dollar one for the Pelta hurts the wallet. Initially I wanted to buy 3 Venators and maybe 2 Peltas, but now I am thinking 2 Venators and 1 Pelta. Granted that could change depending what each ship has, can do, and costs gameplay wise.

The articles interesting enough make it sound like each of the GAR expansions has 2 admirals but the CIS ones gave no hint if the same for them. Could be big if true cause that can really change possibilities for fleet building and uses.

That and having 3 Venators like the tradition TCW fleet had is really tempting.

7 hours ago, NeverTellMeTheOdds said:

Maybe, but I doubt it. Armada was huge at my LGS, bigger than even xwing or armada, and the new starters are just sitting on the shelves. I think they’ve waited to long to release these, combined with the pandemic and these crazy prices and I think the game is DOA.

I wouldn't think too much into that. With the pandemic going on, a lot of folks wallets and available social time are deeply impacted. There's not much reason to buy anything game wise right now, and where that's not an issue there might not be the funds for it. I think it's safer to assume it the other way around, the pandemic being the main slowing factor, and price and time away being the contributing factors. Towards the end of the year we'll have to wait and see once the virus is more under control how that impacts this whole thing.

Why do people keep saying $15 increase? These ships aren’t as big as an ISD, especially not the separatist destroyer. Even the Interdictor was only $40. This is $25 price increase (at least). That’s a 60% increase. There’s no excuse for or defense of that.

17 minutes ago, NeverTellMeTheOdds said:

Why do people keep saying $15 increase? These ships aren’t as big as an ISD, especially not the separatist destroyer. Even the Interdictor was only $40. This is $25 price increase (at least). That’s a 60% increase. There’s no excuse for or defense of that.

Dont get me wrong, im totally on your side with this. The price for a small ship has essentially doubled. But IF the Providence preview render is correct, than the model is longer than an ISD, something i am not really happy about.