Republic article

By ninclouse2000, in Star Wars: Armada

5 hours ago, cynanbloodbane said:

GW games will have you paying more for less, and they will purposely shut down high selling games just so they can bring them back a year later with some new rules and a huge price jump.

Pretty sure that’s not literally true anymore, gram versus gram of plastic.

And I’m pretty sure of that because I’ve just bought and am painting my first Sisters of Battle.

I’m happy to keep playing this wonderful game with GCW factions, maaaybe Sep ships if I feel like splurging on a model down the road. But giant fleets that would have been fun to amass over a year or two, novelty spam lists... no longer appealing.

I’m not even disappointed by this like I would have thought. It’s actually pretty freeing. If I have to deal with huge price jumps (and new rules, but those are a good thing,) might as well do it with a game that’s guaranteed not to be going anywhere.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Businesses need to make money.

1 hour ago, >kkj said:

Dont get me wrong, im totally on your side with this. The price for a small ship has essentially doubled. But IF the Providence preview render is correct, than the model is longer than an ISD, something i am not really happy about.

I agree I was hoping for the 1,088 meter model first, and Admiral Trench's 2,177.35 meter version later.

21 minutes ago, Piratical Moustache said:

I agree I was hoping for the 1,088 meter model first, and Admiral Trench's 2,177.35 meter version later.

I dont like the idea of upscaled ships that dont look visually different at all. Its the same with the 50% upscaled imperial star destroyers in Ep9. EVERYTHING is bigger, including all the windows, command bridges, hangars. So... is the crew manning the vessel also bigger? And all the starfighters? I dont know what the CG Artists for TCW were thinking when they decided to go against established movie canon and just make ships twice their on-screen size. Why dont we also make a 100% upscaled X-Wing next? Or what about a 5 m Luke Skywalker? Like a Dreadnought version of him? Wouldn‘t that be „cool“? Im exaggerating of course but you get the point.

21 minutes ago, >kkj said:

I dont like the idea of upscaled ships that dont look visually different at all. Its the same with the 50% upscaled imperial star destroyers in Ep9. EVERYTHING is bigger, including all the windows, command bridges, hangars. So... is the crew manning the vessel also bigger? And all the starfighters? I dont know what the CG Artists for TCW were thinking when they decided to go against established movie canon and just make ships twice their on-screen size. Why dont we also make a 100% upscaled X-Wing next? Or what about a 5 m Luke Skywalker? Like a Dreadnought version of him? Wouldn‘t that be „cool“? Im exaggerating of course but you get the point.

I forgot that the larger Providence is identical to the stock version in Canon because of this mod, in the beginning of the video you see their Providence Dreadnought variant has multiple hangers, a redesigned Munificent style bridge, etc. I agree that mindless unscaling creates all sorts of issues.

Edited by Piratical Moustache
28 minutes ago, >kkj said:

Or what about a 5 m Luke Skywalker? Like a Dreadnought version of him?

Have you ever heard the story of bigger Luke ?

So, I understand and commiserate with the thoughts on increased price and some of the thoughts on perceived weak armaments/upgrades/firing arcs (or in one instance comparing CW Tarkin to GCW Tarkin). BUT...my two questions for everyone:

1. Even if the overall size of a certain mini is smaller than a GCW counterpart such as an ISD, aren't some of the more detailed sculpts (especially in the Separatist fleet) a slight justification for a price increase? Still maybe not 60% but I do think they're more complicated ships and that eases my ire.

2. Even though we are playing a "pew pew" game with plastic ships, I wouldn't like it if CW ships had equal or more powerful armaments/arcs as GCW ships. These are the first iterations or early concepts of ships the Empire was using against the rebellion and should be scaled so to represent that. No?

So are these boxes medium sized ships or large based ships (I'm assuming the pelta is the same and small based, so the next size up is the medium base for the other 3 releases?)

10 minutes ago, SithLrd88 said:

1. Even if the overall size of a certain mini is smaller than a GCW counterpart such as an ISD, aren't some of the more detailed sculpts (especially in the Separatist fleet) a slight justification for a price increase? Still maybe not 60% but I do think they're more complicated ships and that eases my ire.

The Munificent is the most detailed miniature in the game so I kind of agree with you.

10 minutes ago, SithLrd88 said:

So, I understand and commiserate with the thoughts on increased price and some of the thoughts on perceived weak armaments/upgrades/firing arcs (or in one instance comparing CW Tarkin to GCW Tarkin). BUT...my two questions for everyone:

2. Even though we are playing a "pew pew" game with plastic ships, I wouldn't like it if CW ships had equal or more powerful armaments/arcs as GCW ships. These are the first iterations or early concepts of ships the Empire was using against the rebellion and should be scaled so to represent that. No?

My hope is that the Pelta will have a reduced price tag point-wise since its armament will be less. It does make sense for it to have similar speed and maneuverability.

It might have a different purpose, or similar (the Rebel one has a Command and Attack version) Right now, from what we know, if the RRB version is more than 44pts I would be suprised.

1 hour ago, buckero0 said:

So are these boxes medium sized ships or large based ships (I'm assuming the pelta is the same and small based, so the next size up is the medium base for the other 3 releases?)

The Separatist article mentions that they are both large, but the distinction isn't made as to if large is used in a rules capacity or as hyperbole.

5 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

The Separatist article mentions that they are both large, but the distinction isn't made as to if large is used in a rules capacity or as hyperbole.

You can tell by the number of times the diameter of the shield indicator goes along the length and breadth of the bases in the pictures.

If the Republic Pelta has a 2 Speed as well as the dice they just listed, what’s the point of taking it over a Consular?

It was the Rebel version of the Pelta that was used as a Command Carrier, the Republic version was supposed to be a blockade runner or medical transport. Though a transport has real world uses, in Armada, it sounds like dead weight.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it looks good, but I’m disappointed that it lost dice and won’t be more effective than the Consular. But maybe it will cost less in points... way less. 🤷‍♀️

Or did I miss something?

Its all about the slots.

Republic Pelta will probably have a better squadron value than the Consular and a support slot for FCTs. Also a better Engineering value for Projection Experts.

The rebel Pelta is the main way to get Intensify Fire & AFFFM into a fleet so this may apply to the Republic too.

1 minute ago, Mad Cat said:

Its all about the slots.

Republic Pelta will probably have a better squadron value than the Consular and a support slot for FCTs. Also a better Engineering value for Projection Experts.

The rebel Pelta is the main way to get Intensify Fire & AFFFM into a fleet so this may apply to the Republic too.

Thematically that wouldn’t make sense. As I mentioned the republic was supposed to use the Pelta as a blockade runner or transport, not as a carrier or command vessel. So I would think it would end up with a Command of 2, Squadron of 1 and Engineering of 4. It’s true that the engineering value is good, but if it starts at 56 points like the Rebel version and only has a speed 2, the engineering value would not be a great selling point, especially with those dice.

Also the Rebel version has 4 upgrade slots (not including title or possible commander), at best they would maybe add a Weapons Team slot, but I’m sure they’d lose the Fleet Command slot.

So unless they change the ship’s purpose from what it was intended, I can’t see it ever being taken over a Consular Charger.

15 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

but I’m sure they’d lose the Fleet Command slot.

I doubt that since the article literally says that the Pelta comes with a new fleet command upgrade.

Barriss Offee seems to be the best buddy of Obi, they trigger at the same time (while defending) but it seems Barriss denies the attacker to lock the redirect with accuracy.

I wonder if that means Venator comes with only one redirect token, otherwise would be IMHO OP.

3 minutes ago, LordCola said:

I doubt that since the article literally says that the Pelta comes with a new fleet command upgrade.

Reading is not my strong suit. 😏

Still, seems like a heavy tax to pay just to get access to the Fleet Command slot.

1 minute ago, KaLeu said:

I wonder if that means Venator comes with only one redirect token, otherwise would be IMHO OP.

They might have a title like the Starhawk that adds a token, that seems to be their new trend.

3 minutes ago, KaLeu said:

Barriss Offee seems to be the best buddy of Obi, they trigger at the same time (while defending) but it seems Barriss denies the attacker to lock the redirect with accuracy.

I read Barriss as just changing the hull zone being attacked. For instance being shot in the rear and changing the defending hull zone to the front rather than the typical effect redirect has.

Just now, JediPartisan said:

Reading is not my strong suit. 😏

Still, seems like a heavy tax to pay just to get access to the Fleet Command slot.

This was the same with the rebel version. They just added the CR90 title recently (last year)

The rebel version was so expensive, and frail, that you never felt like it was worth it for the cost you were paying. Putting upgrades on the ship meant you lost even more points when it got one-shot by a big Imperial ship. Hopefully, they're giving us a versatile platform cheap enough to upgrade into doing what you would want it to do.

1 minute ago, thepopemobile100 said:

I read Barriss as just changing the hull zone being attacked. For instance being shot in the rear and changing the defending hull zone to the front rather than the typical effect redirect has.

Yes, but the *timing* of the spend, means that its spent before the attacker has even rolled dice, so there's no way for Accuracy to **STOP** it.

Mechanically, yes. Its just a Super Redirect that doesn't care about Adjacent Zones - but the bonus is, it can't be stopped.

The detriment is, you can't also Redirect. So you need to take all of the damage on the newly designated zone.

Edited by Drasnighta
1 minute ago, thepopemobile100 said:

Good catch. So defender can‘t use 2 shield values from different hull zones, but still immune to lock? Would still be very good with Obi.

Just now, KaLeu said:

Good catch. So defender can‘t use 2 shield values from different hull zones, but still immune to lock? Would still be very good with Obi.

Oh yeah it's still great. If the republic gets a shield heavy ship or a huge ship she'll be an auto include.

There is also the possibility of the Pelta will apply some the Hardcell's design and have a ver. with built-in fleet support slot. Also, I believe GAR need a better bugget option for a squadron based Clone Nav. support ship (Clams being too expensive and Cousulars being weak at sqaud cmd) and the pelta seems to be in a good spot with fleet command.