What other Forums are there for SWRPG?

By tank0625, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I kinda feel like we need to all migrate to the same place or all of the other options are gonna be kinda quiet?

9 minutes ago, Sturn said:

I kinda feel like we need to all migrate to the same place or all of the other options are gonna be kinda quiet?

Agree and disagree.

No reason to not check out (and join) multiple forums that strike one’s fancy. But, yeah...it’d be nice to keep communicating with the same cool people from here.

So, my virtual door is open.

(FWIW, it occurred to me to add a dedicated PbP area.)

For what it's worth, I sent a message to Edge Studios regarding them opening a forum, and actually was told they would send the idea up the chain.

2 hours ago, Sturn said:

For what it's worth, I sent a message to Edge Studios regarding them opening a forum, and actually was told they would send the idea up the chain.

I asked somebody inside the building as well, waiting on any answer.

There are lots of Facebook groups that are indeed run or dominated by some strange people. But, there are a couple Groups that I've found that have been great for me discussing Star Wars RPG:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/d20radio/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/370595006481881/

If you're just looking to troll or flame-bait, they are probably not the place for you :) But they have been genuinely helpful for me, if you're looking for community and ideas centered around the game we all love.

My preference is to stay as far away as possible from Facebook.

11 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

I would be surprised if Edge opens forums. FFG isn't just closing their RPG forums, they are closing all of their forums--including for ongoing FFG games like X-wing. This is a trend I've seen among a lot of game companies in recent years, and I would be truly surprised if Edge doesn't follow it by not opening public forums, especially as they are owned by the same parent entity as FFG.

Yeah, another tabletop RPG I play is made by a publisher with a huge library of games, and earlier this year they shut down all their forums too (though they didn't close them down completely; they still exist, you just can't post on them anymore). A fan forum was opened up on another web site and became the new "official" forum for the game. One of the game developers doubles as a community liaison, and she followed to that forum as well and still engages with us. It is definitely a trend.

Edited by atama2
52 minutes ago, atama2 said:

A fan forum was opened up on another web site and became the new "official" forum for the game. One of the game developers doubles as a community liaison, and she followed to that forum as well and still engages with us. It is definitely a trend.

Hmmm...maybe I should reach out to invite, say, Sam and Keith (for a start) over to mine....

1 hour ago, atama2 said:

Yeah, another tabletop RPG I play is made by a publisher with a huge library of games, and earlier this year they shut down all their forums too (though they didn't close them down completely; they still exist, you just can't post on them anymore). A fan forum was opened up on another web site and became the new "official" forum for the game. One of the game developers doubles as a community liaison, and she followed to that forum as well and still engages with us. It is definitely a trend.

To be fair, actually running a forum takes a lot of time and energy to properly moderate that a company isn't getting paid for. Moderation that is more often than not, either extremely heavy-handed, leading to a perception that the company (or the people it hires) are jerks, or extremely lax, leading to toxic forums and the perception that the company just doesn't care. I mean I'll be honest, one of the main reasons I didn't sign up here (or even play the game) for so long was that I just can't stand most Star Wars fans.

It's understandable that there's no real win for the company save the very few dedicated fans who post online, since much like running games the majority of players don't.

12 minutes ago, False God said:

To be fair, actually running a forum takes a lot of time and energy to properly moderate that a company isn't getting paid for.

This forum has had little to no moderation for years. Yes that means there is more bickering, but there really isn't much to do on Edge's side once the forum is created. Many forums are even moderated by volunteers. I had a forum for a gaming guild for nearly a decade. It cost me $0 and there were periods where I never commented for months and it kept going. Edge just needs to host a forum at their website. They could even use someone else's hosting software. It literally could be set up with a few hours of work, then just walk away.

They could even contact Nytwyng who has already done that. Simply provide a tab/link from the Edge website that gives it some officialness so we all don't fade away to different corners of the web.

12 minutes ago, False God said:

It's understandable that there's no real win for the company save the very few dedicated fans who post online, since much like running games the majority of players don't.

I would have to disagree. It's nearly free advertisement. Most games are continuing to have other social media contacts such as Discord, Twitter, Facebook, etc. In fact Edge IS doing this even though this forum currently has much more traffic then their Facebook does. Why would they waste their time if there is no benefit? Those even require responses from a paid staff member. Forums don't need that (see above).

For those old enough, why are we slipping back into the dark ages of bulletin boards?

Edited by Sturn
3 minutes ago, Sturn said:

For those old enough, why are we slipping back into the dark ages of bulletin boards?

Instant gratification.

43 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Instant gratification.

I edited my post and threw you under the bus by the way. :)

55 minutes ago, Sturn said:

I edited my post and threw you under the bus by the way. :)

So that's why my forehead says "Greyhound" in reverse.... 🤣

ETA:

1 hour ago, Sturn said:

They could even contact Nytwyng who has already done that. Simply provide a tab/link from the Edge website that gives it some officialness so we all don't fade away to different corners of the web.

I'd be fine with that.

Edited by Nytwyng
3 hours ago, Sturn said:

I would have to disagree. It's nearly free advertisement.

I have on a couple of occasions looked at a new RPG, then Googled it to find more info, and found an official forum discussing the game which drew me into it. A place where I could clear up some rules ambiguities, find some errata/FAQs, and have a place to bounce ideas off of people.

I know that you could find a generic RPG site where people talk about the game, or Reddit, or whatever, but those never really compare to an actual forum dedicated to the game and given at least some support and legitimacy by the game designers.

20 minutes ago, atama2 said:

I have on a couple of occasions looked at a new RPG, then Googled it to find more info, and found an official forum discussing the game which drew me into it. A place where I could clear up some rules ambiguities, find some errata/FAQs, and have a place to bounce ideas off of people.

I know that you could find a generic RPG site where people talk about the game, or Reddit, or whatever, but those never really compare to an actual forum dedicated to the game and given at least some support and legitimacy by the game designers.

Warhammer Fantasy 4E really suffered from a lack of a good forum imo. I had a lot of questions about rules that weren't covered well at all in their CRB, and they ended up directing to a fan Discord thing which was a garbage fire imo.

5 hours ago, 2P51 said:

Warhammer Fantasy 4E really suffered from a lack of a good forum imo. I had a lot of questions about rules that weren't covered well at all in their CRB, and they ended up directing to a fan Discord thing which was a garbage fire imo.

AS someone that would like to give WFRP 4e a try but feels the same way about the rules, did you ever find a good site for it? Can you post a link?

22 hours ago, Sturn said:

I hope they not only listen, but find the necessary resources to do this.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:09 PM, SFC Snuffy said:

BoardGameGeek has some forums, which are free, already dedicated to various FFG product lines. The RPG forums don't see a ton of traffic, but if users from here migrate it may become more interesting.

those forums feel like they're from the early 2000's - is it possible to get a game-specific sub-forum setup, or would we be in some general-forum?

On 12/21/2020 at 8:35 PM, Sturn said:

Call me a Boomer if you wish, but yes Facebook, Discord, Twitter, Redditt is not for me when discussing games. I've used the first two, not the last two, but I need an actual old school forum for my RPG discussions.

Totally agree. I use the other platforms (FB, Discord, Reddit) and they all have their place but a forum-format is what we need.

@Nytwyng

Made an account a day ago but not receiving the confirmation email. 😔

Edit - Found it in "Junk"

Edited by CloudyLemonade92
5 minutes ago, CloudyLemonade92 said:

@Nytwyng

Made an account a day ago but not receiving the confirmation email. 😔

Edit - Found it in "Junk"

I saw you sitting there in the pending members, and almost activated you, but opted not to in case you'd changed your mind. :)

4 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

AS someone that would like to give WFRP 4e a try but feels the same way about the rules, did you ever find a good site for it? Can you post a link?

It was here. When they lost the license, it was deleted.

1 hour ago, Sturn said:

It was here. When they lost the license, it was deleted.

Um...4e? I know they covered 3e here, but I'm looking for something covering C7's 4e line.

6 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

Um...4e? I know they covered 3e here, but I'm looking for something covering C7's 4e line.

Ah my bad.

6 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

I didn't. I just had to go full playtester since they obviously didn't and fix the **** rules myself. We will jump back into that when I'm a little more confident the 'dark times' wont screw up game nite scheduling, maybe this summer, and they will have nearly all of the Enemy Within books out by then. For now we are playing it pretty loose, currently just with some streamlined 5E rules I made. Nites/sessions are intermittent depending on whether the circle of introverts I invite into my buccaneer palace need to actually interact with the outside world between sessions.

1 minute ago, 2P51 said:

I didn't. I just had to go full playtester since they obviously didn't and fix the **** rules myself. We will jump back into that when I'm a little more confident the 'dark times' wont screw up game nite scheduling, maybe this summer, and they will have nearly all of the Enemy Within books out by then. For now we are playing it pretty loose, currently just with some streamlined 5E rules I made. Nites/sessions are intermittent depending on whether the circle of introverts I invite into my buccaneer palace need to actually interact with the outside world between sessions.

If you have any notes on those fixes that you could share, I'd welcome a PM.