Like... How!?

A tremor in the Force?

U B Sensitive??

11 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

A tremor in the Force?

U B Sensitive??

I told you I was! 🤣 😜 I'm a Jedi!!!!!

21 minutes ago, ForceSensitive said:

I'm literally pausing the movie as he is reaching into his pocket after this line to put the ring on, to come read a few posts, check a notification, and this happens. The timing of this. The odds. Astronomical. Like... How!?

Time stamp on the YouTube rentable extended edition: 0:19:33. I'm not even joking.

The hint might be in your forum name ;) ?

2 hours ago, SnooSnarry said:

Well I guess I better say it now or never. Honestly almost all of your posts are borderline offensive and this kind of post just really exemplifies your personality. I don't understand how someone could act with so much anger so consistently throughout everything especially in a era of covid. Some of your comments, especially in the Max thread, are just maddening with how unsympathetic you seem to be to other humans and just everything else in general. You need to have a serious wake up call on the type of person you want to be. Because when I think about the worst parts of the X-Wing community you are regularly one of the first things to come to mind and I would not want to play a game of X-Wing against you in the slightest because of how you actively choose to behave.

Who's scruffy lookin?

No one will probably see me again, I just don't appear much outside of forums. I didn't post much, but I'll still miss everyone else.

It seems the internet as a whole has decided that forums are objectively obsolete, but it's not true at all. Even with overlapping ideas popping up over the years, there's still a niche, especially for official forums. Fan-run options, ironically, split the fanbase by forcing them to choose which fan option, and so many other things these days (even some forums, unfortunately) have begun to prioritize popularity over chronology, which inevitably leads to pretty serious echo chambers (and forums used to be known for that, but that's nothing compared to today).

In my experience, official forums generally had the best mix of being hands- on enough to moderate legitimately offensive content, but hands- off enough to let fans have differing opinions without being banned for being "wrong", even if the community wasn't friendly. Also, they were a guaranteed centralized place you could always find, even if you were new to the fandom, without having to guess the fan chosen alternative.

Edited by Jokubas

I don't know about internet stuffs, but is it too expensive to maintain a forum like this? I mean, even if it is "dead" (I don't see it dead) it seems reasonable to keep some sort of official community page and place to gather and discuss products and product related stuff branching from their main page. Maybe I'm too old but this decision doesn't make much sense to me...

I’m the same as a lot of other folk on here. I don’t do discord and I am too old for /reddit. Anyone else have to put the DoB in to see if you are hip with the kids and all that???

The main thing I will miss on here is the sharing of ideas, builds and strategies. Even if to learn the tricks of the trades of factions you don’t play. People were always helpful on how to kill Rebel Beef or what to prioritise in list X, was a huge benefit.
What will I do on a Friday now without @Cubanboy ???
I am hoping like crazy that AMG will launch something like this forum in the new year, it’s unrealistic to hope for it sooner, but this resource would be too important to lose, because of something as simple as we don’t support the game anymore.

Anyways peeps, I have had my share of highs and lows here, pretty sure I have said my fair share of dumb ****, but overall I think I have grown with the community.
Merry Christmas, happy holidays or what ever you say in your neck of the woods. Be safe and hopefully Covid will be out of our lives soon. Australia says hi!

Arch

I won't be creating a reddit account.

Honestly I don't have much faith for the future management of the game. The ships have been sold, and Star Wars is a relatively limited IP.

How can they get people to buy more classic ships, when they have enough? How many future ships are there, and are they recognisable to casual SW fans?

Those two questions make me think that AMG have a tough future. Hoe can they raise expected sales?

Although all the new D+ shows should be a massive springboard to freshen up the game with new pilots, also bring in new players (kids especially).

Not having you're own rules forum? How does that work for a relatively complex game in its interactions (MTG being a very complex game, or at least it used to be). How do they expect new players to go online for their questions. Around my way, reddit is not a trusted source, but this is the maker's forum. Dumping that is suicide for the game.

So be ready to be Primarised (really it's Bloodbowled) in 12 to 24 months. Probably just as the new shows drop en masse. A small scale shift and bingo, let the revenues flow as the addicts accept that the new version is better, and you get to be Jin etc in even cooler looking ships.

You'll still be able to use your 1.0 and 2.0 ships though. The pegs will be identicle. But the ships won't. They'll be a bit bigger. Small Xwings will look pooey beside their proper scale companions.

Good luck all.

And btw,

Adams thought he too would leave a leaf on you. Great fish.

....goddamit.

I really could have done without a last 'screw you' from 2020. Minor, I admit, compared to what others have had to endure, but still sucky.

Yes, there's facebook, but it's nigh impossible to search for old conversations on a topic. Yes, there's reddit and discord but the fact there's both leads to a natural fracturing in a community where some people can't make the time to check multiple sites or apps each day.

And it's not just x-wing for me. I first came across FFG when they took over the 40k RPGs on black library's behalf.

These forums - and you guys - have pretty much been the centre of my last 10 years of gaming - x-wing battle report logs, conversations with friends in the unofficial TIE striker clubhouse , every bit of advice I received in years of trying to 'git gud', debates on star wars in the off-topic forum with people like @Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun , but also a decade of RPG campaigns from Dark Heresy to Age of Rebellion to Legend of the Five Rings - both played, sometimes 2+ years worth - notes for games still stashed away for the future and input not just from other normal gms but some of the actual FFG LR5 writers who frequent the place in an unofficial capacity.

And in the same weekend that (for what are very good reasons!) our family Christmas went up in smoke I'm also now processing that it's all going in a dumpster fire in a month.

Sorry. Going to miss this place and all of you.

6 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

These forums - and you guys - have pretty much been the centre of my last 10 years of gaming - x-wing battle report logs, conversations with friends in the unofficial TIE striker clubhouse , every bit of advice I received in years of trying to 'git gud', debates on star wars in the off-topic forum with people like @Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun ,

Sorry. Going to miss this place and all of you.

@Magnus Grendel Very kind of you to say that, just remember that

Man I maybe one of the most sentimental sods on this Forum. Humor me folks, instead of splintering into a dozen other spots on the web is there a means that we should try to find a some common spot.

1 hour ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Man I maybe one of the most sentimental sods on this Forum. Humor me folks, instead of splintering into a dozen other spots on the web is there a means that we should try to find a some common spot.

Post your bloody Twitter account 😂

When I first started playing X-Wing I was here most days. But eventually I went back to BGG . I did the same for another game I got into. I'll miss this forum but honestly I've not posted here for several years.

2 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

The problem is that there isn't a place where everyone can gather, so splintering is inevitable. Not everyone has (or wants) a Facebook account, Discord isn't a proper replacement for a thread-based forum, and Reddit is its own unique kettle of fish. I'm resigned to the fact that AMG simply won't set up their own forums, but I'm a cynical optimist. I go through life expecting the worse, in the hope of being pleasantly surprised when things go well. Hopefully, come mid-January we'll have heard...well, anything from AMG about how they'll be handling the very important job that is herding the X-wing cat community.

^^^same team. Cynical optimist.

Facebook is something I (with bias) think many are trying to get away from or never step into these days, so while I'm still a member of some FB gaming groups, its not my first choice of places to go. Discord is fun for engaging chat, but garbage for having long discussions over a period of time; the focus of conversation is too ephemeral to get anything really in depth into a topic from multiple people unless you on a server that conversation moves slowly, in which case most people would consider that a "dead server". Twitter was a ******* mistake.

I'm thinking BoardGameGeek is probably the next best place for forum discussions. Their forum system is kinda meh, but supported as that site has a ton of traffic for other games so they keep things running. Amusingly, this move may push people to discover other non-Asmodee/FFG produced games as they move to a new social gathering spot.

Edited by kris40k

It's annoying how we won't even be able to access the archive of threads. I'm sure there are rich veins of wisdom that I haven't found yet, and it would be nice for that to be there even if we can't post anything new. There's probably a good coding programming reason for it, but it's still annoying...

On 12/22/2020 at 11:13 PM, Makikis said:

It's annoying how we won't even be able to access the archive of threads. I'm sure there are rich veins of wisdom that I haven't found yet, and it would be nice for that to be there even if we can't post anything new. There's probably a good coding programming reason for it, but it's still annoying...

Since the forum is up and running, I would imagine the coding programming is simply maintenance at this point. That is making sure the sql database can run on the newest PHP version and such, nothing major. The hosting cost is typical based on site traffic and not size, and while we hold "Worlds" and such, we are relatively small compared to others. The main cost is in Modding the forum and to have somebody capable of doing a wipe if some hacker manages to spam/bomb the forum. I remembered this happened here once a long time ago.

If this were for the miniatures part of the forum only, it makes sense to shut it down as FFG are no longer involved in those, and it would be confusing to buyers that the community for their games are not found on the ATM web-site but on FFGs. Here the problem is that ATMs website looks and functions very differently from this forum, so a simply "copy" of the entire forum is not possible - here time and money on development would be needed by ATM, and they may not be willing to do that now.

The problem with this theory is that FFG is apparently shutting down EVERY forum even for the games they are keeping.

1 hour ago, Sciencius said:

The problem with this theory is that FFG is apparently shutting down EVERY forum even for the games they are keeping.

Yeah, this has me worrying for FFG as a whole. Moving three big sellers under a key license to a different studio may be paving the way for further changes down the road.

7 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Yeah, this has me worrying for FFG as a whole. Moving three big sellers under a key license to a different studio may be paving the way for further changes down the road.

Exactly

3 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Moving the RPGs away too. L5R worries me especially as a big part of the settings draw is the 'on going story', and having the LCG and RPG under different companies can't help with managing that.

For what it's worth, Boardgamegeek gets my vote.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I wouldn't be surprised if the FFG website as a whole will be removed merged with the Asmodee site, and someone was just kind enough to notify the forum users in advance. They probably had some kind of service/hosting contract which cost money.

Amodee US doesn't provide a forum on their website, or any information at all. (Asmodee Germany still maintains a large forum, however, with subsections for some 100 games.)

Anyone else get the feeling that Asmodee are a bunch of real a-holes?

As for the forum thing: When the old SW: Collectible Card Game went defunct almost twenty years ago, and the makers (Decipher) shuttered the business, the community started a website for the SWCCG Players’ Committee, and continued to make virtual cards for decades (I’m pretty sure they’re still at it). That place had a thriving forum, all built and maintained by one tech guy who knew how and had a bit of time.

I’m not that guy. I have the time, but I struggle to set the digital clock on the oven. But if there’s anyone who is able, that’s a thing we could do. I think the cost of the site was small.

Barring that, this BoardGame Geek site sounds interesting. Whatever we do, let’s NOT do Facebook. I’m through feeding that beast.

Edited by Cpt ObVus
7 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Splitting off X-Wing, Armada and Legion to another company was planned for awhile, like over a year ago. The idea was that FFG was going to be split into two companies:

• FFG Board & Card Games, and FFG Miniature Games

(obs not actual names)

What appears to have happened, is that someone up in Asmodee US ranks said, "Hey, don't we own that new group, Atomic Mass Games, that is kinda up and coming successful with that new Marvel Crisis Protocol game? Why do we need another entity dedicated to miniature games?" Then they came up to the whiteboard and did this:

• FFG Board & Card Games, and FFG Miniature Games Atomic Mass Games

So, its not really shocking of a move from a strategic/business point, it was actual a very sensible move; but there was a loss of talent that is going to certainly change up the direction of the games and how they develop further.

Edited by kris40k
25 minutes ago, kris40k said:

Splitting off X-Wing, Armada and Legion to another company was planned for awhile, like over a year ago.

You're absolutely right, the miniatures / board & card game split was planned a long while back.

Unfortunately, plans can change, and unfortunately, 2020.

There were mass layoffs at FFG before COVID-19 became an issue.

The big, successful and above all licensed products have been handed across to a different studio, again with more layoffs.

Organised Play has also lost key staff and is all but shut down for the foreseeable future.

Now the forums are being shut down, not just for the "Star Wars Three", but for all FFG products.

With normality still a long way off, it isn't take a massive leap of logic to think that Asmodee may be about to have a fire sale, or are otherwise scaling down operations.