Well dangit

By TasteTheRainbow, in X-Wing

9 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

You're absolutely right, the miniatures / board & card game split was planned a long while back.

Unfortunately, plans can change, and unfortunately, 2020.

There were mass layoffs at FFG before COVID-19 became an issue.

The big, successful and above all licensed products have been handed across to a different studio, again with more layoffs.

Organised Play has also lost key staff and is all but shut down for the foreseeable future.

Now the forums are being shut down, not just for the "Star Wars Three", but for all FFG products.

With normality still a long way off, it isn't take a massive leap of logic to think that Asmodee may be about to have a fire sale, or are otherwise scaling down operations.

Yeah, the pandemic certainly took an already planned contraction and exacerbated it. Asmodee USA's head had already spoke about a planned reduction of product lines before the pandemic hit, and once it happened, competitive games basically fell off the face of the earth since most social gatherings outside personal bubbles stopped, and in many places, became illegal. Actually trying to run Organized Play events could be almost akin to Prohibition-era speak-easies, so no reason to keep that group around from a larger view.

As far as the forums, I've kind of got the feeling that when the decision to move the product lines to AMG came up, someone mentioned, "Okay, what are we going to do with the forums for those games?" and the reply from Asmodee USA was, "What forums? We're paying for forums in 2020?" and here we are.

I mean, Asmodee USA has shown a complete different ideal to customer service and customer engagement compared to FFG (see the replacement part fiasco), so its not surprising to me that they are shutting down the forums. Its just another sad aspect of Asmodee USA taking a larger control of FFG, no longer allowing it to act autonomously, but viewing FFG and its games as another commodity in its portfolio that it can part and parcel out as it needs.

To be honest though, while it is sad that FFG seems to be breaking up, as long as the games continue to be good, that's what really matters, and I'll be happy if they do continue to be good.

11 hours ago, Makikis said:

To be honest though, while it is sad that FFG seems to be breaking up, as long as the games continue to be good, that's what really matters, and I'll be happy if they do continue to be good.

If you’re talking about non-Star Wars games from FFG, I really don’t think there will BE an FFG in about a year. They seem to be stuck in a “This deal is getting worse all the time” situation.

As for AMG and Armada/X-Wing/Legion, give it time. I can’t really imagine a scenario where it makes any sense to let them fail without AMG doing their level best to carry on. I think we can at least expect a damned good effort out of them.

14 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

If you’re talking about non-Star Wars games from FFG, I really don’t think there will BE an FFG in about a year

While this might entirely be the case, isn't Keyforge and Lot5R doing pretty well?

I’m going to miss this place. At its peak you could come on here and see live tournament reports, have list discussions, find out about players all over the world, see cool custom/painting options, and really feel a part of a community around little pew-pew ships.

I’m hoping there is another place like this, but I tend to hang onto things for too long. Thanks, all, for the discussions. I wouldn’t have known what a Systems Open was, much less get the confidence to go to one with my son without this place.

X-wing will always be, to me, one of the greatest games ever, and these forums were a part of that. Good luck and happy flying to all.

A final kick in the ballz from the worst year in living memory.

30 minutes ago, Firebird TMK said:

A final kick in the ballz from the worst year in living memory.

Truly - I lost Vassal and the forums. I know Vassal is still there but no one is ever on.

On 12/25/2020 at 2:56 PM, 5050Saint said:

While this might entirely be the case, isn't Keyforge and Lot5R doing pretty well?

Dunno, but from the look of things a few months ago, X-Wing and Legion were doing great. And Armada was chugging along as it always has (despite being a fantastic game).

1 hour ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Dunno, but from the look of things a few months ago, X-Wing and Legion were doing great. And Armada was chugging along as it always has (despite being a fantastic game).

I guess the Miniatures games were all transferred precisely because they were doing great, and AMG is seen by Asmodee to become their major miniature-game developer. That is, if they get the money to hire good developers, or any at all.

Core FFG may continue Keyforge because it's moderately successful and they own the IP, but they may be forced to terminate or sell other product lines.

22 hours ago, dadocollin said:

I’m going to miss this place. At its peak you could come on here and see live tournament reports, have list discussions, find out about players all over the world, see cool custom/painting options, and really feel a part of a community around little pew-pew ships.

I’m hoping there is another place like this, but I tend to hang onto things for too long. Thanks, all, for the discussions. I wouldn’t have known what a Systems Open was, much less get the confidence to go to one with my son without this place.

X-wing will always be, to me, one of the greatest games ever, and these forums were a part of that. Good luck and happy flying to all.

Totally agree. As far as I'm concerned, X-Wing is one of if not the greatest miniatures game of all time. FFG did wonders with their Organised Play events, and the System Opens especially were a lot of fun. Glad you got the chance to be a part of that.

And yeah, if the game is good, the community is great. I don't know what's coming next for the game, but I'm glad to have been a part of it.

Bummer. Discord and Reddit are not suitable replacements. 😞

3 hours ago, Arschbombe said:

Bummer. Discord and Reddit are not suitable replacements. 😞

100% agree

But BoardGameGeek is very similar to the ffg forums, and many of us have already migrated there. Spread the word so as many of us as possible can find a new forum home.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/252328/star-wars-x-wing-second-edition/forums/0

Edited by Roller of blanks