Rogue Squadron

By 2P51, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

5 minutes ago, Dazgrim said:

I thought I'd seen somewhere it was post-Endor, which makes me a little sad, so far I've been able to have the old novels as my head canon without much contradiction from Disney.

The official release says, "The next Star Wars feature film will be Rogue Squadron — directed by Patty Jenkins ( Wonder Woman franchise). The story will introduce a new generation of starfighter pilots as they earn their wings and risk their lives in a boundary-pushing, high-speed thrill-ride, and move the saga into the future era of the galaxy."

Some are concluding that the term "future era of the galaxy" means post-Endor, some concluding post-Exegol, others interpreting it as "the future direction of the franchise," and a few other readings.

Cheers, I was just looking for the quote. I can't see how it can be interpreted as anything other than post Rise of Skywalker. 🙄

2 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

That's...exactly why you can (resisting Patented Hobo Images Emphasis) if the characters are A-listers...if they're Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, or equivalent. Most people know them well enough to dive straight into teaming them up*. With the possible exceptions of Hulk and Captain America, the Marvel characters that made up the initial Avengers roster were B-listers, at best (because Marvel's marquee characters were licensed to other studios). But, half of the League weren't A-listers (a point that may have gotten buried or omitted in my earlier post).

*One of the other problems, though, is that what the general audience knows about those A-listers was tossed out the window in the franchise's current iteration.

But you probably shouldnt start with Batman or superman. You need to start with the b-lister justice league members. other wise you end up never having time to expain who they are.

As to Jenkens I have no idea who she is. and have no idea what her biggest success was... so cant comment.

12 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

But you probably shouldnt start with Batman or superman. You need to start with the b-lister justice league members. other wise you end up never having time to expain who they are.

You don’t “need” to (as was previously pointed out - where were the multiple Ocean’s 11 lead-up movies to introduce the 11 members of the team?), but if you’re wanting them to also be semi-independent characters anchoring their own sub-franchises, it can be helpful. At the same time, it’s possible to spin them off after introducing them like WB did. From my perspective, they just didn’t do that great of a job doing so. One of the characters is largely overshadowed by a concurrent tv presentation; one remains a cypher (except for another concurrent tv presentation that’s part of a completely different sort of team dynamic), and the last met some success due largely to the charisma (and appearance) of the actor. Then there’s the Trinity, that meet the cliche of needing no introduction.

20 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

As to Jenkens I have no idea who she is. and have no idea what her biggest success was... so cant comment.

Among other things, she directed Monster , for which Charlize Theron won a Best Actress Oscar, and the two Wonder Woman movies (the first of which was her most commercial success to date). I tried watching that one, but only made it an hour in, so that’s my only exposure to her work.

1 hour ago, Dazgrim said:

Cheers, I was just looking for the quote. I can't see how it can be interpreted as anything other than post Rise of Skywalker. 🙄

Looks like. Which makes it the one scenario of many that I hoped it wasn't.

Meanwhile, though, the iconography appears to be a T-65, rather than a T-70, so who knows. Sounds post-RotS to me, too, but everything is pretty vague at the moment.

19 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Meanwhile, though, the iconography appears to be a T-65, rather than a T-70, so who knows. Sounds post-RotS to me, too, but everything is pretty vague at the moment.

Well, I'm pretty certain it's at least post-RotS. The X-Wing didn't come around until well after the Clone Wars. ;)

2 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Well, I'm pretty certain it's at least post-RotS. The X-Wing didn't come around until well after the Clone Wars. ;)

Typos are d'oh! moments.

Typos due to your phone auto-filling a very specific abbreviation (complete with mixed case) because you apparently use it enough is just sad. 😆

I'm going with "whomever made that image just went with 'X-Wing' without giving any thought to which type of X-wing.

The write-up certainly seems to indicate a post-Sequels time period. If I had to guess then I'd say the ony established characters in it will be Poe Dameron and maybe Wedge in cameos.

On 12/12/2020 at 5:37 PM, micheldebruyn said:

Rogue One will be directed by Patty Jenkins. I loved her previous work (primarily Wonder Woman), Nytwyng did not.

I thought it was well-directed. The script definitely had it's dumb moments, but that's not necessarily on the director. The Pitch Meeting does a nice job of tearing the script apart, the stupid "infiltration" of the fancy party was probably the worst. Although I admit to guffawing out loud when the two evilz were toying with their prisoners ... "wait, that's not going to save them", "yeah, but they don't know that!" Bwaaahahahahaha!

In any case, WW (and Gal Godot) were far better than B****y Resting Face - The Movie...um, I mean "Captain Marvel".

I'm assuming since her motivation is to honor her dead father as a fighter pilot that she will pour her heart and soul into it. I'm not super concerned with time period, I just want a good tight script, and some innovative action.

On 12/14/2020 at 6:56 PM, 2P51 said:

I'm assuming since her motivation is to honor her dead father as a fighter pilot that she will pour her heart and soul into it. I'm not super concerned with time period, I just want a good tight script, and some innovative action.

Honestly, they could just make the TopGun reskinned to Star Wars and they bought me.

4 hours ago, Rimsen said:

Honestly, they could just make the TopGun reskinned to Star Wars and they bought me.

I think I was required to relinquish my “80s teenager” credentials when one viewing of Top Gun was more than enough for me. 🤣

1 hour ago, Nytwyng said:

I think I was required to relinquish my “80s teenager” credentials when one viewing of Top Gun was more than enough for me. 🤣

Are you afraid of the - epic guitar starts up in the background - Danger Zone?

1 hour ago, Rimsen said:

Are you afraid of the - epic guitar starts up in the background - Danger Zone?

Nah. I just didn’t think it was all that great. Others did. (But then, I’m also not much of a Tom Cruise fan.) Hopefully, Rogue Squadron will have more of a Rogue Squadron vibe than a Top Gun vibe.

15 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Nah. I just didn’t think it was all that great. Others did. (But then, I’m also not much of a Tom Cruise fan.) Hopefully, Rogue Squadron will have more of a Rogue Squadron vibe than a Top Gun vibe.

I wish, but most of the legends material is mostly easter egg in the new products.

Setting my bar low, might let me finally enjoy a Star Wars movie again

I'm not really expecting it to feel like either.

I hope it's not like Top Gun because I really don't get what people like about Top Gun, but Patty Jenkins is a very different film maker than tony Scott.

And I really doubt it's going to be anything like Stackpole's series of novels and comics, because a 2-ish hour movie is not the right medium to tell those kinds of stories in. It wouldn't work. The big appeal there, beyond X-wings vs TIE Fighters, was seeing all the characters and the villains grow over a long period of time.

Edited by micheldebruyn