Rogue Squadron

By 2P51, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I am generally sceptical now, but the idea of a RS movie seems promising.

Edited by Rimsen

I think I’m the only person on the planet not doing cartwheels about this announcement. Rogue Squadron is great, but the only project of Patty Jenkins’ I’ve even tried watching, I turned off about an hour in. And it was near-universally loved. So, I’m spending the next 3 years hoping that reaction was to the material, not to her as a director.

One of my friends is probably over the moon (or terrified that they'll mess up his favorite series), but I'm pretty "meh" about it. I doubt it'll interest me, as I'm not interested in a starfighter-focused series, or in a series focused on fighter pilots doing non-starfightery things.

The Rangers of the New Republic series definitely does have my interest though.

54 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I doubt it'll interest me, as I'm not interested in a starfighter-focused series, or in a series focused on fighter pilots doing non-starfightery things.

I kind of feel you have to pick a new name now. You have dishonored it.

Just now, micheldebruyn said:

I kind of feel you have to pick a new name now. You have dishonored it.

I'm an atmospheric craft, not a starfighter. ^_^

Besides, it was the Army Air Force back then.

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

One of my friends is probably over the moon (or terrified that they'll mess up his favorite series), but I'm pretty "meh" about it. I doubt it'll interest me, as I'm not interested in a starfighter-focused series, or in a series focused on fighter pilots doing non-starfightery things.

The Rangers of the New Republic series definitely does have my interest though.

Considering it’s not a series, how do you feel about a feature film? 😏

Yeah I've never been real hot on the "fighter pilot" genre, but I know a LOT of people who are, so sounds like Disney is gonna be rolling out something for everyone.

Edited by False God
1 minute ago, Nytwyng said:

Considering it’s not a series, how do you feel about a feature film? 😏

Oh it's a film? I didn't pick up on that. I'm much more optimistic in that case and am looking forward to it.

10 minutes ago, False God said:

Yeah I've never been real hot on the "fighter pilot" genre, but I know a LOT of people who are, so sounds like Disney is gonna be rolling out something for everyone.

I believe I had to turn in my “80s teenager” credentials because seeing Top Gun once was more than enough for me.

Just now, Nytwyng said:

I believe I had to turn in my “80s teenager” credentials because seeing Top Gun once was more than enough for me.

I'm a sentient fighter plane who don't need no pilot, and kinda have a thing against fighter pilot movies. Never watched Top Gun, probably never gonna.

Nor have I watched Stealth, which is anti-sentient fighter plane propaganda.

What I will do is watch a six-hour YouTube series on the marvels of the P-47. It feeds my ego. :D

26 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I'm a sentient fighter plane who don't need no pilot, and kinda have a thing against fighter pilot movies. Never watched Top Gun, probably never gonna.

Nor have I watched Stealth, which is anti-sentient fighter plane propaganda.

What I will do is watch a six-hour YouTube series on the marvels of the P-47. It feeds my ego. :D

This really isn't helping my desire to run a "droid rights" campaign.

The era of Rogue Squadron is going to do it for me. Have they given details? I would prefer it being set sometime during the original trilogy. So, after ANH showing the formation of the squadron. Perhaps between ESB and RotJ even. Or, if not that, right after the Battle of Endor so we get some on-screen details of those years. So, after Endor and before Mando. But, I'm assuming it's going to be Mando era? I guess that would be ok, but not my favorite. But, please, please don't make it somewhere in the middle of the Sequels.

Edited by Sturn
46 minutes ago, Sturn said:

The era of Rogue Squadron is going to do it for me. Have they given details? I would prefer it being set sometime during the original trilogy. So, after ANH showing the formation of the squadron. Perhaps between ESB and RotJ even. Or, if not that, right after the Battle of Endor so we get some on-screen details of those years. So, after Endor and before Mando. But, I'm assuming it's going to be Mando era? I guess that would be ok, but not my favorite. But, please, please don't make it somewhere in the middle of the Sequels.

They haven't said specifically, but the X-wing silhouette in the teaser logo looks a little more like a T-65 than a T-70 to me...which doesn't necessarily mean anything, since we know T-65s are still in use up to 5 years after the Battle of Endor.

69daadcdc2e01dcf3933cb58a1761a1546c840bb

5 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

They haven't said specifically, but the X-wing silhouette in the teaser logo looks a little more like a T-65 than a T-70 to me...which doesn't necessarily mean anything, since we know T-65s are still in use up to 5 years after the Battle of Endor.

69daadcdc2e01dcf3933cb58a1761a1546c840bb

It's hard to tell because the gaps in the letters break up exactly the parts we'd need to see to know for sure. However, I think you are right. The curvature of the engines looks too dramatic for the half-moon of the T-70's.

12 hours ago, Rimsen said:

I am generally sceptical now, but the idea of a RS movie seems promising.

A wary eye is my thinking as well, but, Favereau and Filoni have made me think we may have turned a corner and the 'dark times' are behind us.

4 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

It's hard to tell because the gaps in the letters break up exactly the parts we'd need to see to know for sure. However, I think you are right. The curvature of the engines looks too dramatic for the half-moon of the T-70's.

Yeah, at first I'd thought T-70 (specifically because of that negative space issue) but looking closer and comparing images as I was typing that very reply, I though, "Nah...looks just a smidge more like T-65 engines."

1 minute ago, 2P51 said:

A wary eye is my thinking as well, but, Favereau and Filoni have made me think we may have turned a corner and the 'dark times' are behind us.

Well, I mean we are talking about a movie by a director who turned a character so devoted to peace that she's willing to fight for it armed only with a tool of restraint and truth into a sword-wielding hack-and-slash barbarian who loses the ability to judge spatial relationships when presented with a door design she's unfamiliar with. But, the public ate it up. So...who knows.

1 hour ago, Nytwyng said:

Well, I mean we are talking about a movie by a director who turned a character so devoted to peace that she's willing to fight for it armed only with a tool of restraint and truth into a sword-wielding hack-and-slash barbarian who loses the ability to judge spatial relationships when presented with a door design she's unfamiliar with. But, the public ate it up. So...who knows.

Diana has had the sword in the comics for ages now, and her normal characterisation has been that she's the Jusice Leaguer who, when push comes to shove, will snap your neck without blinking if there's no other way since around the turn of the century.

These are not elements that came from Patty Jenkins.

13 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

Diana has had the sword in the comics for ages now, and her normal characterisation has been that she's the Jusice Leaguer who, when push comes to shove, will snap your neck without blinking if there's no other way since around the turn of the century.

These are not elements that came from Patty Jenkins.

Yeah, I know they’ve been leaning into it in recent years. (I love George Pérez’s run, but in hindsight, I wish he’d never given her the armor and additional weapons; too many writers have used it as a crutch since then.) The general public, necessary for a successful blockbuster, however, doesn’t know that DC has transformed her into a cold-blooded killer. Jenkins (and Snyder), when presented with the opportunity to bring one of the most recognizable comics characters back into live action for the first time in decades, chose to lean into the (relatively speaking) more obscure take rather than what the average person expects from Diana.

And her becoming an idiot about doors is all on Jenkins.

5 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Yeah, I know they’ve been leaning into it in recent years. (I love George Pérez’s run, but in hindsight, I wish he’d never given her the armor and additional weapons; too many writers have used it as a crutch since then.) The general public, necessary for a successful blockbuster, however, doesn’t know that DC has transformed her into a cold-blooded killer. Jenkins (and Snyder), when presented with the opportunity to bring one of the most recognizable comics characters back into live action for the first time in decades, chose to lean into the (relatively speaking) more obscure take rather than what the average person expects from Diana.

And her becoming an idiot about doors is all on Jenkins.

I do not remember the bit about the door, it's been a couple of years.

But I do reckon that the average person would be expecting the same Diana they saw in Dawn Of Justice rather than the silver/golden age version. That's all on Snyder, not on Jenkins. If anything, Jenkins improved her, because Snyder's version had given up on the world and hadn't been seen in a century, which Jenkins soft-retconned out.

2 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

I do not remember the bit about the door, it's been a couple of years.

Revolving door, which she had trouble using because she apparently couldn't discern that holding her sword horizontally would make it too wide for her to pass. Part of why I remember it so well is that's the point that I'd had enough and turned it off.

3 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

But I do reckon that the average person would be expecting the same Diana they saw in Dawn Of Justice rather than the silver/golden age version. That's all on Snyder, not on Jenkins. If anything, Jenkins improved her, because Snyder's version had given up on the world and hadn't been seen in a century, which Jenkins soft-retconned out.

I'd say the average person wouldn't recognize the BvS take as Wonder Woman/Diana at all based on behavior alone. Snyder had a hand in the solo movie's crafting, and Jenkins didn't do all that much to distance her portrayal from his...she was still a sword-wielding killing machine. So, I'm not starting out all that optimistic for the Rogue Squadron movie, but we've got three years...who knows what we'll see by then.

I actually do like the fighter pilot genre (though I’m more into Robotech and Macross than Top Gun and Iron Eagle). I’ve been a casual Rogue Squadron fan for some time. I absolutely love Star Wars dogfight games (X-Wing vs TIE Fighter was my jam) and Jump to Lightspeed was the best part of Star Wars Galaxies in my opinion. I also love the X-Wing FFG game when I want a 2 player tabletop game with a buddy.

So yeah I’m looking forward to this. :D

44 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Revolving door, which she had trouble using because she apparently couldn't discern that holding her sword horizontally would make it too wide for her to pass. Part of why I remember it so well is that's the point that I'd had enough and turned it off.

I'd say the average person wouldn't recognize the BvS take as Wonder Woman/Diana at all based on behavior alone. Snyder had a hand in the solo movie's crafting, and Jenkins didn't do all that much to distance her portrayal from his...she was still a sword-wielding killing machine. So, I'm not starting out all that optimistic for the Rogue Squadron movie, but we've got three years...who knows what we'll see by then.

I mean....looking way back at WW, there was some seriously overt bondage stuff going on with that rope. And half the time, it was on WW . While the "modern" WW may be a more brutal take on her, it's probably more accurate to IRL legends of Amazons, and less fetishistic than her old incarnations.

That said, I think one of Live-Action (and the comics, but strangely not the animated stuff) missteps DC has taken was to make all their heroes "grittier". The Marvel approach of making them more "real/flawed" is better, but DC has the ultimate issue that it's 3 main characters (Supes, WW and Bats) are about as unrealistic as possible. Its an area where the animated stuff seems to succeed is that the assumption that they're animated seems to allow writers to lean into the fact that the characters are a little too perfect, a little too awesome.

Am I the only one that is completely lost regarding, WW's, revolving doors, and several names I've never heard of?