Andor!

By whafrog, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

13 minutes ago, atama2 said:

Has anyone heard any news or speculation about the Cara Dune character being in the Rangers show?

No news. Plenty of online speculation that the reason there’s no news is that it is indeed the rumored Cara Dune show, but LFL doesn’t want to be loud about that with some of the fan base no longer behind her due to the last few months of her online activity.

I hope they can pull of a better Ranger-based spinoff than the Babylon 5 franchise did...

1 hour ago, HappyDaze said:

I hope they can pull of a better Ranger-based spinoff than the Babylon 5 franchise did...

To be fair, I'd be more impressed if they made a worse Ranger-based spinoff than B5.

On 12/12/2020 at 4:38 PM, Nytwyng said:

No news. Plenty of online speculation that the reason there’s no news is that it is indeed the rumored Cara Dune show, but LFL doesn’t want to be loud about that with some of the fan base no longer behind her due to the last few months of her online activity.

What?

Never mind, googled it. What a waste of time. When I order a pizza, I want a good pizza. When I order a TV show, I want a good show. If the person who delivers the product has some dumb opinions, that's not my business.

9 minutes ago, DaverWattra said:

Never mind, googled it. What a waste of time. When I order a pizza, I want a good pizza. When I order a TV show, I want a good show. If the person who delivers the product has some dumb opinions, that's not my business.

Regardles of that, she does strike me as an actor who can shine in supporting roles like Cara Dune, but not one that can carry a show.

She has said some pretty despicable things though... or, at the very least some, very, very dumb and willfully ignorant things, and I can imagine that for a large subset of people she might not be the draw they hopes she could have been.
For the record, I love Cara Dune.

Edited by DanteRotterdam
1 hour ago, micheldebruyn said:

Regardles of that, she does strike me as an actor who can shine in supporting roles like Cara Dune, but not one that can carry a show.

I agree, she'd have to step up her acting game from what I've seen so far.

I can't see Cara Dune as the focus of a show, but as said before she's a really good supporting character, and I don't see why she couldn't continue that in a new show. If she is the bridge between that series and The Mandalorian, that doesn't mean she also has to be its main protagonist.

Edited by atama2
3 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

She has said some pretty despicable things though... or, at the very least some, very, very dumb and willfully ignorant things, and I can imagine that for a large subset of people she might not be the draw they hopes she could have been.

What has she actually said? Genuinely, people keep commenting on the awful things she said but...nothing when asked what.

I've got a thought, since politics and RL opinions always turns to **** on these forums how about skip it? Twitter isn't exactly secret, go read, decide what you think, comment on Twitter, and leave it outta here.

Edited by 2P51

Google “Gina Carano Twitter” and you’ll get it all pretty quick.

17 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

That depends upon which end of the political spectrum you sit on though.

If you think public health and safety, veiled antivax posts and unfounded allegations are political then yeah, sure.

And that is the last post I will have made on this topic. 2P51 is absolutely spot on that no good will come of this.

18 hours ago, 2P51 said:

I've got a thought, since politics and RL opinions always turns to **** on these forums how about skip it? Twitter isn't exactly secret, go read, decide what you think, comment on Twitter, and leave it outta here.

Well said.

I can understand the transgender community’s reaction to Carano’s tweets, and that doesn’t require political interpretation at all. Should she lose employment over actions while off the clock? That’s a matter for LFL to decide, either due to any so-called “morality clauses” that may exist in her contract that extend to public communication and perception, or LFL deciding that the cons of keeping her are outweighed by the pros. (Carano and Rosario Dawson are both generating some blowback to LFL from the transgender community.)

I mean, if Roseanne Barr can be dropped from her own self-titled series for comments made off the proverbial clock, a supporting performer certainly isn’t immune.

Four posts with political comments since one of our esteemed members asked it to stop and it got several likes and posts of agreement. Can we get back to Andor now?

Edited by Sturn
27 minutes ago, Sturn said:

Four posts with political comments since one of our esteemed members asked it to stop and it got several likes and posts of agreement. Can we get back to Andor now?

If all of those comments are “political comments,” then I think we’ll be hard pressed to avoid “political comments.” /shrug

Sorry to be harsh, but I've seen where this leads. There are many places to have these discussions whatever title you give them. I've left a fan forum I loved due to so many heated tangents that had nothing to do with the forum. I was even directly involved and joined in (which actually led to someone getting so upset they figured out my place of employment and called in to complain about me). So, please, avoid political discussions, hot topics, realworld social discussions, whatever you wish to call them.

5 minutes ago, Sturn said:

Sorry to be harsh, but I've seen where this leads. There are many places to have these discussions whatever title you give them. I've left a fan forum I loved due to so many heated tangents that had nothing to do with the forum. I was even directly involved and joined in (which actually led to someone getting so upset they figured out my place of employment and called in to complain about me). So, please, avoid political discussions, hot topics, realworld social discussions, whatever you wish to call them.

So, we should discuss tv/movie announcements (off-topic for an RPG forum, even if rooted in the same IP), but not answer questions/discuss issues that could impact audience response (which, in turn, could impact their casting and production).

As you wish.

So...how ‘bout that knowing Diego Luna will star in the show?

(After that, we got nothin’. That’s pretty much all we know.)

3 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

If all of those comments are “political comments,” then I think we’ll be hard pressed to avoid “political comments.” /shrug

The point was SHUT UP about the contentious issues and get back to the original topic. I've been biting my proverbial tongue so hard it's drawing blood. Can we just talk about Star Wars? The thing we came here to discuss in the first place ?

You know what, scratch that, I'm letting my tongue up for just a moment. This is one of the problems I see with the left. You make everything political and bring politics into everything that shouldn't be, but when an actual matter of politics comes up, you say "this shouldn't be political." Rather than actually having a discussion, you presume that the issue is already decided in your favor and is the accepted consensus. Then when anyone disagrees, you feel the need to force them to either shut up or conform to your way of thinking. I'm sick of it, and Gina Carano has been pretty much the first person who seems to just be a genuinely nice, not especially political person to say STFU to the Twitter rage mob. Good for her.

Even when I really disagree with someone on a given topic, I have respect for them if they stand up for what they believe in in the face of people trying to shut them up or force them to bend the knee. We need more discussion ( in the proper circumstances ), not less. This is not a proper circumstance, however, and discussions over the internet almost always end up turning nasty anyway. These are topics best addressed face-to-face with someone you have a preexisting relationship with so it doesn't as easily fall into acrimony.

Here we go....!

80a.gif

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

The point was SHUT UP about the contentious issues and get back to the original topic. I've been biting my proverbial tongue so hard it's drawing blood. Can we just talk about Star Wars? The thing we came here to discuss in the first place ?

You know what, scratch that, I'm letting my tongue up for just a moment. This is one of the problems I see with the left. You make everything political and bring politics into everything that shouldn't be, but when an actual matter of politics comes up, you say "this shouldn't be political." Rather than actually having a discussion, you presume that the issue is already decided in your favor and is the accepted consensus. Then when anyone disagrees, you feel the need to force them to either shut up or conform to your way of thinking. I'm sick of it, and Gina Carano has been pretty much the first person who seems to just be a genuinely nice, not especially political person to say STFU to the Twitter rage mob. Good for her.

Even when I really disagree with someone on a given topic, I have respect for them if they stand up for what they believe in in the face of people trying to shut them up or force them to bend the knee. We need more discussion ( in the proper circumstances ), not less. This is not a proper circumstance, however, and discussions over the internet almost always end up turning nasty anyway. These are topics best addressed face-to-face with someone you have a preexisting relationship with so it doesn't as easily fall into acrimony.

I thought the thing we came here to discuss was the Star Wars RPG. General Star Wars discussion is off-topic gravy.

Sorry if discussing off-topic matters that are related to the off-topic subject of Star Wars tv shows being discussed offended. I’ll be sure to, as someone (who was that?) said, bend the knee to your wisdom from now on.

So... Andor ! It’s gonna have Diego Luna!

(Looks around for more info on Andor .)

Diego Luna! Wooo!

ETA: We toss around all kinds of speculation when we get off-topic about the larger Star Wars content - production decisions, what could come up in story and the behind the scenes reasons why it might happen, casting, writing, directors (why some were hired, why some left), producers (the Benioff/Weiss departure), the “production troubles” faced by Solo , etc. So far, the discussion has pretty much stayed to, “Here’s something that could impact Rangers of the New Republic , but that decision’s ultimately up to LFL.” Apparently that’s too far?

Edited by Nytwyng

Maybe it's all a big misunderstanding and there's been a typo: it's really a live action show about Ewoks guerillas versus the Empire called "Endor".