Dumbest Change Ever!

By KAGE13, in Star Wars: Armada

11 hours ago, Petersaber said:

Yeah.

My resizes are ready to print. All text fits on American mini, all symbology does as well. Font size either equal or 0.5 smaller than the Standard format.

With the exception of Swivel-Mount Batteries. 1 point smaller. Soooo muuuuuch teeeeeext.

All I need are high-res graphics and I'm putting them up.

PS: CW Tarot ship cards are coming too.

4pgdxa.jpg

11 hours ago, Petersaber said:

Yeah.

My resizes are ready to print. All text fits on American mini, all symbology does as well. Font size either equal or 0.5 smaller than the Standard format.

With the exception of Swivel-Mount Batteries. 1 point smaller. Soooo muuuuuch teeeeeext.

Look forward to seeing them šŸ‘šŸ»

Why the confused response to my post, @RealVeers ? Now I'm confused. Two 6x2.5' tables makes a 6x5' play surface. Self-evident, no?

On 12/5/2020 at 5:14 PM, bkcammack said:

I know some people on Etsy, like admiral tater, sell reversible exhaust tokens to make it easier to mark what cards are exhausted and which arenā€™t.

Yeah, I've already been using 'exhaust' tokens to get around the need for rotating the cards even in version 1.0

However that doesn't really/fully help resolve the issue with card stacking. A 'discard' still wants to flip the card over. And with so many cards that now act as caches for tokens...

It's definitely a bit less playable than it was before.

6 hours ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

Why the confused response to my post, @RealVeers ? Now I'm confused. Two 6x2.5' tables makes a 6x5' play surface. Self-evident, no?

Because buying a new table for Armada got me confused. And I don't always get freedom units.

10 minutes ago, RealVeers said:

Because buying a new table for Armada got me confused. And I don't always get freedom units.

Fair enough. Well my current table is too small (in practice) and I donā€™t want a giant table, so two smaller tables it is.

On 12/6/2020 at 10:20 AM, lunitic501 said:

And this is why I didnt by the upgrade card pack. The only large upgrades I have are from the new starter sets and I'll just continue using mini cards for all my other upgrades

Same team. Except that I'll be going a little further. I'm planning on using mini-sized proxies for the new upgrades that are only available in the larger sizes. One complaint of Armada is that most people don't own a proper table for it. I am fairly lucky in that I have a dedicated gaming space with a custom-built 6x4 gaming table, so I'm one of the lucky few with viable Armada space, and yet the bigger cards now mean that many of my fleets become a disorganized scrunched mess on my side of the board (which also needs room for damage cards, tools, dice, etc.).

There were a lot of good reasons to the original design that put ships on Tarot, squads on standard, and upgrades on mini. Whatever the reason for the standardization, hard to imagine it outweighs those original design reasons.

11 hours ago, RealVeers said:

Is it that weird? When I was shopping for our new kitchen table being big enough to play Armada on it was my main criteria. šŸ˜†

On 12/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, Petersaber said:

Yeah.

You are a hero! How do I subscribe to you?!

Couldn't agree more. Plus, tapping cards is a royal pain. Many folks use ship docks and tapping isn't practical.

I still can't get over having cost and upgrade symbols on the back of the card made it past pre-prototype.

3 hours ago, Thraug said:

Couldn't agree more. Plus, tapping cards is a royal pain. Many folks use ship docks and tapping isn't practical.

I still can't get over having cost and upgrade symbols on the back of the card made it past pre-prototype.

My trays have just enough space to exhaust an American Mini card :)

https://www.etsy.com/pl/listing/713566066/swa-upgrade-cards-tray-8-cards-american

I also (begrudgingly) made a tray for Standard Cards... https://i.imgur.com/RVDWUbt.jpg

On 12/9/2020 at 7:47 AM, Thraug said:

I think the rationale is that cost, possible upgrades, and traits are only used during list-building, so you don't need to see those during the game. And when the ship is destroyed, the card gets flipped so you can see the points again (if you're not using a roster, which would also have the points listed).

That said, the layout from the promo Victory, Nebulon, and CR90 could have worked; traits could fit below the name if everything gets shifted down a little (there's room if the points/silhouette go right to the bottom border).

I donā€™t have the new stuff yet, but I must be the only one looking forward to having standard cards for everything. Storing the large and small cards is an absolute nightmare, and has been for years.

I am looking forward to having all cards at Standard sized for storage and transport.

Playing with them though? Definitely not looking forward to that. At times when I play with my dad or friends space is already a premium, now even more so.

4 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

I donā€™t have the new stuff yet, but I must be the only one looking forward to having standard cards for everything. Storing the large and small cards is an absolute nightmare, and has been for years.

I'd rather have some difficulty with storage than with the actual play experience. And storage for any miniatures game is never an easy task, it is part of it

@Cpt ObVus @KiraYamatoSF Easy and cheapiest storage solution for the original cards format. cardboard box and hotglue for component a reworked cereal/ziplock box for upgrade cards and for ship the fancy sleeve that hold 4 tarot and 4 mini in a sheet, all of this is affordable and easy to make...

DEg3SvT.jpg

For transport since its usualy for only 1 fleet I converted and old toolbox making compartment out of those blue foam camping mat.

15 minutes ago, LinoB said:

@Cpt ObVus @KiraYamatoSF Easy and cheapiest storage solution for the original cards format. cardboard box and hotglue for component a reworked cereal/ziplock box for upgrade cards and for ship the fancy sleeve that hold 4 tarot and 4 mini in a sheet, all of this is affordable and easy to make...

DEg3SvT.jpg

For transport since its usualy for only 1 fleet I converted and old toolbox making compartment out of those blue foam camping mat.

Is that bucket only nav tokens? And I thought I liked nav. . .

40 minutes ago, phoenix7000 said:

Thereā€™s another type of command token?

1 hour ago, bkcammack said:

Thereā€™s another type of command token?

Play an Ozzel fleet. You hardly ever need nav tokens. :)

btw I only yesterday realised that an Ozzel fleet Raider can now change speed by three on the following turn. Ozzel fleet ability + Nav dial + token.

I'm really liking the new ability, especially in carrier fleets where Quasars flotillas and ISDs can plot lots of Squadron commands while Ozzel lets them change speed at will for 12 points below Thrawn and for all six turns.

3 hours ago, phoenix7000 said:

yeah why use other token...why use other command..nav is life ;) More serious it's just a pile of 4 stackable tupperwere, happen they just fit perfectly in the box I'm using.

agree 100% and now we have those massive cards and STILL have the TINY font... Sucks for folks with OLD eyes..lol Still have to wear my dam Glasses to play...

8 hours ago, Mad Cat said:

Play an Ozzel fleet. You hardly ever need nav tokens. :)

btw I only yesterday realised that an Ozzel fleet Raider can now change speed by three on the following turn. Ozzel fleet ability + Nav dial + token.

I'm really liking the new ability, especially in carrier fleets where Quasars flotillas and ISDs can plot lots of Squadron commands while Ozzel lets them change speed at will for 12 points below Thrawn and for all six turns.

You can get a full 1-4 on a Raider with Ozzel + Nav dial + Nav token + Entrapment Formation!

Yesterday I had the first opportunity to get a look and a grip at the new ships and squadrons. @>kkj and I played our first games Republic v Separatists with 250 FP fleets, having a starter and two squadron packs for each side.

The new upgrade cards let the artwork shine. I also like the look of the new damage deck. They really take a lot more space than the mini size. We both played two ships with some squadrons only and needed nearly as much space for the cards as for 400 FP lists. For some of the new cards, when you have to lay down a lot of tokens (like for Bail Organa or Parts/Munitions Resupply) it comes in handy to have larger sized cards.

@>kkj likes that all cards are of the same size. I prefer different sized cards, because it makes it easier to identify the different card types. I'm afraid, it will take me hours of searching (let's say) ship cards until I find them between my squadrons or upgrades.

There was no problems with having point cost, traits or upgrade slots at the back of the ship cards. This information is not needed while playing. We looked at the movement chart or tactical values, maybe at the batteries. No problem with these.

A major annoyance was the Focus Token! I equipped Swivel-Mount Turrets at my Hardcell. After laying the token at it's side arc we couldn't see the battery or the yellow dot. We had to move the token several times while attacking or defending never finding a good place for it! I think it would be best to have a substitute or acrylic transparent version.

All ships and squadrons look great. Victory in both games was just a matter of who killed more squadrons. We didn't have enough firepower to kill ships. I think this was due to three reasons.

1) My ships were dedicated for squadron support and >kkj had defensive lists.

2) Playing 250 FP fleets need a heavy hitter like MC30c or Gladiator to be dangerous. We didn't try to make the Consular a mean black dice threat.

3) The new rules like Evade giving rerolls at close range or letting cancel two dice at long range are defensive buffs. Killing small ships is harder now. And the new Commanders also are more of a defensive type. (Kraken is not so effective for two ship lists.)

One thing made me think yesterday. For me playing Republic or Separatists didn't feel any different than the old factions. That was a huge difference to the newly released Republic and Separatist factions in Legion. But maybe I was just missing some points. Nevertheless it was fun. But if you don't invest in the Clone Wars era and stick to the Galactic Civil War, you won't miss too much, I would think.

2 hours ago, ianediger said:

You can get a full 1-4 on a Raider with Ozzel + Nav dial + Nav token + Entrapment Formation!

You can get a 1-4 without one of those. With the combination you mention you can get a full 0-4 change.

2 hours ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

You can get a 1-4 without one of those. With the combination you mention you can get a full 0-4 change.

Grand Inquisitor