Dumbest Change Ever!

By KAGE13, in Star Wars: Armada

The rule changes are all fine, but what ever dumbass decided on the large cards, I honestly and sincerely hope you were one of the people fired. Im not even joking a little bit.

In all my years of gaming this is the dumbest thing i have ever seen. I have no problem paying money for updated cards or what ever else armada puts out. I will buy it all. I spent $900 on this release alone. So money isnt the issue.

At first i didn't think it would have been a big deal, but now that i have played with them...what a s*** storm. And i have a full 8' x 4' table. This was clearly and executive decision and not by someone who actually plays the game.

First of all puting ship data on both sides of the card is rediculous. You cannot build a fleet without continously flipping the card over. And this is even reflected in Ryan Kingstons site. You have to pick the ship before you can see what upgrades it can use. You cannot see what upgrades to take and look at the ships stats at the same time without continously flipping the the card or using a 2nd card. Rediculous!

Oh and during the game "how much is that ship worth? I have no god **** idea...let me fip the cards over so i can count up your points".

We have these massive damage cards that you HAVE to put into the playing area because there is zero room off the table to put beside the ship card.

FFG Idiot: "Now that we have these massive cards that take up the same space as 4 mini cards and the whole table...oh i know lets make even more exhastable cards so it takes even more room."

And probably the worst part there is no segregation of ships and squadrons. Before you could set things up like a sort of dash board now everthing just meshes together because its all the same and you cannot even leave gaps to segregate different ships. There is no room.

And if you tell me it was so they could fit all the new text...I call BS. You already have squadrons with half their abilities listed in the rule book. They could have done that.

You know why they put all the rules for putting tokens and dials on the table? Because there is no room off the table for them.

The game was already fiddly enough. The only complant I ever had for an otherwise perfect game. Now you've made it 100 times worse. And I now need a 8'×5' table. These big cards are a joke.

Oh i know. FFG, for your next great idea lets make defense tokens 8" long because because some dummy says he cannot see them.

Good luck at tournaments that use those tables that are less then 4' wide.

Im not even sure why im posting this because it will fall on deaf ears and all the snowflakes will tell me its not that bad. It is that bad.

Edited by KAGE13

Well...

You're not INcorrect...

A bit over the top, but yes.

Kage13 or Rage13?

(Minor point, when a ship dies you are supposed to flip the cards over, hence totalling points is easier this way. I wont argue on the rest)

We didn't need Armada 1.5, we just needed Armada 1.1

Edited by axe238

th?id=OIP.po6u1CFIhnDe2Ck63cgOswHaEo%26p

Hi there! It looks like you're feeling rage and distress at FFG's questionable decisions.

Would you like help?

th?id=OIP.sourtxzJlG6rg5YBoOtwvQHaD4%26pid=Api&f=1 Don't show me this tip again

I haven’t played with the new cards but I am planning to replace my 6x3 table (which required us to place cards in the play area) with two 6x2.5 tables in preparation for the new, bigger cards.

Were there any changes made to the writing or effects of damage cards?

I could possibly see myself using all the standard sized card upgrades and whatnot but sticking with the mini damage decks, assuming there was no change.

I don’t hold the new packs in my own hands yet. But I bet, if there would have been changes to the damage deck it would have been mentioned in the new RRG.

I agree with you not with so much rage, but I do agree and I thought of all that as soon as the idea was mentioned. It’s a wonder that the people who make decisions like this can’t think ahead and see how the change would effect the game. I would think it’s also a profits thing though. The company probably saves by not having to create different size cards, but by charging the same amount in dollars they increase their profit margin, so their investors make more. The same thing for the dials that will no longer be included. All of these decisions/ideas probably came from some bean counter that saw more profit like some one’s good little boy... oh wait, now I’m starting to feel the rage!! 😤

1 hour ago, The Jabbawookie said:

th?id=OIP.po6u1CFIhnDe2Ck63cgOswHaEo%26p

Hi there! It looks like you're feeling rage and distress at FFG's questionable decisions.

Would you like help?

th?id=OIP.sourtxzJlG6rg5YBoOtwvQHaD4%26pid=Api&f=1 Don't show me this tip again

Clippy Wan Kenobi.... now that's a name I havent heard in a long time..... long time. Also, high props for the "don't show this again" checkbox.

cant say I disagree. Minus the „snowflakes“, that is a term that should disappear.

I agree. The change in card sizes sucks.

My suggestion is to stack and overlap so that the art is visible. That should at least save a good amount of table space. Most of the time you can recognize the card by the art, especially now that they're larger.

Would it have been nice for them to stay mini? Yeah. But there's a special kind a hilarity in pre-emptively calling others 'snowflakes' while going on a huge rant about playing cards in a game.

I don’t get why they changed the size as Legion still uses that size and X-Wing use to. So it’s not like they where doing especially for Armada. As I’ve just invested somewhat into legion just recently with the newly added factions where they could of gone with big cards. I hope they dont decide less then a year into the new stuff to change the sizing.

I’m glad I never invested into the ship card trays I see everyone using as now the cards won’t fit.

2 minutes ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

My suggestion is to stack and overlap so that the art is visible. That should at least save a good amount of table space. Most of the time you can recognize the card by the art, especially now that they're larger.

Would it have been nice for them to stay mini? Yeah. But there's a special kind a hilarity in pre-emptively calling others 'snowflakes' while going on a huge rant about playing cards in a game.

The problem with that is that a lot of cards now exhaust or have tokens on them or cost that need to be visible. It just wouldn’t be practical to overlap all of them.

That's true

Minor inconvenience ruins Armada player's entire life.

More at 11.

Played a game today with the new cards and it was annoying. Only played 300 points and we had very little rook left on the edges of the 6 by 4 table. Playing at 400 points will be very burdensome. We will need a separate table just for the cards. Definitely a huge error on ffg’s part but it is what is so might as well accept and move on. I doubt the new people making armada will reverse course so gotta just get over it and figure something out. Hopefully someone on etsy prints and sells the upgrades as minis and the ships in tarot size. I’ll pay for em.

33 minutes ago, XR8rGREAT said:

he problem with that is that a lot of cards now exhaust or have tokens on them or cost that need to be visible. It just wouldn’t be practical to overlap all of them.

You could overlap them then use a big coin or a defense token on the card. (Green means ready and red means exhausted). It's up to if you want to try it or not.

I'll probably end up using x wing charge tokens for cards that exhaust.

1 hour ago, XR8rGREAT said:

I don’t get why they changed the size as Legion still uses that size and X-Wing use to.

X-wing use standard card game sized cards for ships and upgrades since the start of second edition. Core set damage decks are still mini-American sized for second edition but X-wing also has faction specific card backs and text side artwork damage decks that are standard sized and a promo damage deck available at the beginning was also standard size.

I know some people on Etsy, like admiral tater, sell reversible exhaust tokens to make it easier to mark what cards are exhausted and which aren’t.

I think there might be a market for 3rd party tokens that represent the cards. Small and compact with the title of the upgrade clearly spelt on it. Two different colours on either side so you can flip it to exhaust. Store the upgrade cards in the deckbox during Tournament if TO needs it. Personally, once I am familiar with an upgrade and what it does I only bring the ship cards for my games. I already felt the old stuff took up a lot of space and setup/teardown time

I might just have the ship cards out, and keep the upgrades in hockey card sleeves. If I need to exhaust a card, then take it out and put it next to the ship card, in an exhausted position. If at a tournament I always give my opponent my list anyway if they want it (minus objectives of course).